Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can pork make you ill? (TMI)

(5 Posts)
stargirl1701 Sun 09-Dec-12 23:21:29

We had roast pork tonight for dinner. I now have an upset stomach. My DH noted this is the third time I have been unwell after eating roast pork. He has been totally fine each time so it can't be food poisoning. I have vomited and have diahorrea. What is going on? This doesn't happen with gammon or bacon.

poncyettia Sun 09-Dec-12 23:30:25

Yep.

Can't eat pork but am perfectly ok with sausages, bacon and gammon. Makes me violently ill within 2 hours of eating it and its like having a hangover for a week after.

Afaik its something to do with the way the protein is in the meat and not everyone can digest it properly - if its cured or minced its fine cos the protein strands have been broken down into more manageable forms.

I just avoid cooked pork now even though I love it - make roast pork for the rest of the family and just sit down to roast spuds, veg and gravy instead.

stargirl1701 Mon 10-Dec-12 00:07:41

Ok. I'm definitely going to be avoiding it!! That's interesting though. I didn't realise how much the curing/mincing would change it.

goralka Mon 10-Dec-12 00:09:34

yes the only times my cooking has given the family the squits has been with pork.
There are reasons why millions of people do not eat it!!

OldLadyKnowsNothing Mon 10-Dec-12 00:10:39

I'm the same with egg white. I cannot eat it boiled, fried, scrambled etc, but it doesn't bother me at all in cakes/all sorts of other processed foods. Weird, innit? But easily avoided, in my case.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now