Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How do you tell if a nose is broken?

(6 Posts)
Bigwuss Sun 09-Dec-12 12:28:02

DS got kicked the face playing rugby, one of those things, the bridge looks like it is in the right place and he can breathe through each nostril, but I don't really know if it needs an x-ray of anything.
My gut says it's ok, but don't want to leave it, if is does really need looking at.

quoteunquote Sun 09-Dec-12 16:34:27

It's always worth getting checked out as problems can develop,

I've broken mine three times, the one occasion (first)I was sure it was alright, I ended up needing surgery,

a nose that doesn't set right really causes on going problems

4nomore Sun 09-Dec-12 16:54:12

This is semi-irrelevant as it relates to over 30 years ago smile I injured my nose when I was 11, I spent hours in the sick-bay at school (bleeding, bleeding, bleeding) then my mum finally took me home and dithered around with her new Cliff Richard LP then finally someone convinced her to take me to hospital. Another wait there and when I was finally seen (about six or seven hours after the incident) they said, yep, it was almost certainly broken but as I'd swelled up so much that an x-ray wouldn't tell them anything relevant (ie. position could change as swelling went down), they'd just stitch the split skin on the bridge and I was to go back if things seemed wonky further down the line. Many years down the line it still works ok

Bigwuss Sun 09-Dec-12 17:26:03

Thanks, the nhs direct website I eventually found suggests that it doesn't need to be seen as it isn't too bad.
Now not sure, we'll see how it is in the morning.

RollerCola Mon 10-Dec-12 15:22:28

I broke my nose years ago. The main symptom was the bleeding, it bled for ages. It was a head-on break so they didn't do anything at all to fix it, they told me it would just heal itself. It swelled up a lot though and I got two back eyes smile

FairyBasslet Tue 11-Dec-12 16:36:39

I broke my nose at the age of 13 (playing Blind Man's Buff would you believe - my nose v the Blind Man's forehead as he was pushed into me). There was no doubt that time as my nose was squint and you could feel the edges of broken bone under the skin. I developed great black eyes and needed an op to have my nose reset.

When I was 17 I did it again (playing rounders this time - my nose v team mate's cheekbone whilst fielding) and the x-ray showed it was broken straight on, therefore didn't need any further treatment. It didn't swell up too badly and I don't remember having much of a black eye.

Best to get it checked out for peace of mind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now