Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Iron deficiency anemia?

(6 Posts)
Fluffycloudland77 Sat 08-Dec-12 19:15:51

Dont have irons supplements or iron rich foods an hour before or after tea or coffee. The tannin attaches to the iron and makes it too big to be absorped by the gut.

Nice glass of OJ will increase uptake of iron.

nellyjelly Sat 08-Dec-12 18:36:02

Ferroglobin from Boots. Liquid iron supplement. I have anaemia too. Eat branflakes and apricots too. Red meat also unless you are veggy.

AliceWChild Sat 08-Dec-12 16:54:03

Holland and Barrett do it. And other places I'm sure. You've reminded me to take mine

wrinklyraisin Sat 08-Dec-12 16:49:31

Fab thanks Alice I will hunt it down!

AliceWChild Sat 08-Dec-12 15:56:15

Floradix/floravital. It's liquid iron with other goodies

wrinklyraisin Sat 08-Dec-12 15:55:05

Does anyone else suffer from this? I've recently been diagnosed due to major menstrual blood loss. My GP has not prescribed iron as I'm still in "normal" parameters although at the very lowest acceptable level iyswim. I need to take a supplement for 3 months then get bloods redone. My symptoms are sometimes crippling tiredness, chills, mood swings, fatigue and of course losing almost 3/4 pint of blood every month just makes it worse. My thyroid is normal and b12 is low. What supplements would any of you recommend? He just said make sure its about 30mg of iron a day, and 2500mcg of b12. Helpful I know.

Would appreciate any advice!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now