Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Steroid tablets

(52 Posts)
OhYouMerryLittleKitten Fri 07-Dec-12 16:49:03

Been prescribed prednisolone by the gp to try and get on top of my inflammatory arthritis while I wait for the rheumy. One week at 30mg then taper down.
I'm rather scared to take them! Worried about my mood changing drastically (it's quite low atm) and worried about picking up bugs as I keep picking up colds and tummy bugs anyway. Also worried about ballooning up, though I could do with putting a bit of weight on. Also scared that it will send my heart rate bonkers.

So what are people's experiences? Should I be brave and go for it?

wonkylegs Fri 14-Dec-12 15:55:50

I have had RA for almost 15yrs. At first I was on steroids whilst I waited to see Rhemy, I was also on them whilst trying to conceive, throughout pregnancy & whilst breastfeeding. High dose throughout, the benefits outweighed the side effects for me, I did get a 'moonface' but only after 6mths or so.
Once you see a Rhemy there are loads of fab drugs for IA, the only thing is that it may take a bit of trial & error to see what suits. Don't be scared of the drugs - the information leaflets can be very scary (most of the serious ones are extremely rare)but they only prescribe if the benefits outweigh the risks, they also usually monitor you closely when on them so any problems are picked up very quickly. My RA drugs have transformed my life and enabled me to do lots of normal things that would have been a pipe dream including living a relatively painfree day to day.
Hope you get to see your Rhemy soon, best of luck.

OhYouMerryLittleKitten Mon 17-Dec-12 13:00:58

Sorry wonkylegs, I missed your reply. Thank you so much for your reassurance smile it's really good to hear.

I was hoping that the blast of steroids would give me some breathing space, but sadly not.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now