Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

"Is it really urgent?" Would you say this merited an appointment at the GP?

(45 Posts)
vladthedisorganised Wed 05-Dec-12 09:29:12

I really hate it when GP's receptionists say this as I always assume that if I'm well enough to make the call, then it isn't.. but would appreciate some opinions!
Under loads of stress at the moment (job/terminally ill parent/ back and forth to hospital all the time/ etc). Feeling so tired I can't concentrate - it takes me over an hour to write an email at work where I normally dash out a contract in a few hours. For the last week I've had numbness in my face, fingers and feet; occasional chattering teeth and shaking hands not linked to the cold, and occasional 'grey-outs' - not quite fainting, but not quite not. Dizziness/vertigo all the time with occasional tunnel vision. All seems fairly commensurate with stress, so I'm not expecting a GP to do anything.

Now I've started vomiting without warning as well - no nausea, just a sort of 'wander along perfectly normally and blam!' sort of vomiting. I want to get it checked out in case it's an ulcer, but GPs tells me that unless it's urgent I need to wait another three weeks for an appointment. There's no way I want to 'bump' an elderly person, so my instinct says it isn't urgent, but not sure I can go around randomly vomiting and not being able to see properly for another three weeks.

Could I ask WWYD in the circumstances? Ignore and hope it gets better, or call back and say 'it is urgent, actually...'?

FlorIxora Thu 06-Dec-12 01:35:13

Call NHS Direct. Or use their symptom checker.

If you don't have any luck with your GP tomorrow I would go to the nearest walk-in centre.

sashh Thu 06-Dec-12 03:29:09

You need to be seen and you need to swap to a GP with a better appointments system.

vladthedisorganised Fri 07-Dec-12 20:51:50

Finally got seen last night - thanks so much for the advice on NHS Direct, who were wonderful. The initial flow chart said to dial 999 and get an ambulance straight away, but after speaking to a nurse I got plenty of ammunition to see a GP.
The symptoms are consistent with a cluster migraine apparently, so I've got some tablets and have been told to exercise outdoors at least three times a week to reduce stress. Not quite sure how on earth I'll do that, but that's a whole different story.
Apparently if I lose consciousness again I should dial 999 though, so I'll keep that in mind.
Thanks so much for your advice!

digerd Sat 08-Dec-12 18:41:04

Good luck at exercising outdoors in this weather.

Footle Sat 08-Dec-12 19:22:50

And good luck with dialling 999 if you're unconscious...

InExitCelsisDeo Sat 08-Dec-12 22:40:09

What the actual? Exercise outside, and dial 999 if you become unconscious?

Good luck with all of that then.

confused

vladthedisorganised Sat 08-Dec-12 23:06:28

It is a bit mad, isn't it? I guess I was so pathetically grateful to be seen that if I'd been told to hop up and down on one foot for five minutes it would still have been better than hanging about on the phone.

Perhaps there's been such a backlash on signing people off that you're told to go for a bracing run rather than have a rest these days. In Victorian times I would have been in Switzerland by now (sigh). Actually I would have been told to fuck off back down the pit, so it's probably about the same..

InExitCelsisDeo Sat 08-Dec-12 23:08:39

Switzerland is lovely.

That would definitely make me feel better.

Hope you are OK OP.

TeaBrick Sat 08-Dec-12 23:14:21

Is there any way you can change to another GP surgery? 3 weeks is a ridiculous wait.

lisad123 Sat 08-Dec-12 23:21:10

I have migraines but always know if I'm going to be sick! Very odd advice, please go back if you don't feel better soon

hiddenhome Sun 09-Dec-12 11:24:16

I'm sorry but I would question that diagnosis. You need to be seen ASAP.

HoleyGhost Sun 09-Dec-12 11:29:16

I would ask for a referral

Goldenjubilee10 Sun 09-Dec-12 12:31:59

I had very similar symptoms 8 years ago although I didn't have the vomiting. I was diagnosed as having stress related silent migraines. I still get it now and then but never as bad as the first time. I was signed off for 4 weeks. See another GP and tell them you are not managing at work or see your manager and see if you can reduce your hours for a few weeks.

vladthedisorganised Tue 18-Dec-12 08:53:19

Right, saw another GP yesterday (kept my 'emergency' appointment from the other week) and I'm to have a blood test tomorrow for thyroid somethingorother and anaemia. He thinks it might be stress-related but wants to rule out physical stuff, so we shall see.
Just as well, as I now can't get to the end of the road without needing a sit down blush.

Startail Tue 18-Dec-12 09:29:04

My Dr called something similar anxiety induced migraines and gave me some tablets that helped a lot.

Also if you have an obliging DP, get him to run your neck and shoulders. I tense everything up without realising it. Honestly you can do it enough to make yourself feel ill.

If you can afford it an osteopath might work wonders, but they may want the medical all clear from your GP.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

digerd Tue 18-Dec-12 11:25:46

You now can't get to the end of the road without needing a sit down?! That sounds serious. I'd give up the Exercise and get your heart tested.

piprabbit Wed 19-Dec-12 21:09:55

vlad so sorry this is dragging on, it must be miserable.

Why do you need to sit down when walking? Is it pain, breathing, dizziness? sounds absolutely horrible.

5dcsandallthelittlesantahats Fri 21-Dec-12 07:54:07

I'm glad you got in to see your doctor in the end!. You surgery sounds pretty unhelpful tbh.
Ours is a walk in from 8-10:30 then appointments until 6. If they have no appointments they refer you to the 24 hour walk in centre at the hospital. So you always get seen same day. What the hell is the pong in waiting : weeks for anything non routine - god knows what could have happened by then confused

5dcsandallthelittlesantahats Fri 21-Dec-12 07:54:42

That's point not pong

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now