Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

*tamoxifen* 31- in the bus shelter with the cheap booze

(984 Posts)
Gigondas Mon 03-Dec-12 17:13:36

Shiny new thread

welcome ledkr - I have a friend who had an oopherectomy last yr,she's not on mumsnet but on facebook tamoxifen page,if that might be any help. So far she hasn't got a hairy chin or anything untoward. Can link you up with her if you like.
Sorry to be brief- am just dashing by having done some work,dh home and wants to go out to lunch- am not complaining.
Love hearing about tipsy from hernextdoor - saw her Christmas illuminations on fb grin

rocamadour Wed 05-Dec-12 12:43:53

Repeating this ! just saw the new thread. I'd gone to the old one !

Thanks kurri and copthall. I'm getting worried again. I had transvaginal us and my gynae reckons I have a polyp, probably tamoxifen induced. I'm having it removed and they'll also biopsy a sample of uterine lining. She did however think all looked normal apart from the prescence of the polyp. Obviously at the back of my mind is the thought of endometrial cancer; the odds are in my favour but then I thought the same while being tested for bc in the first place. sad

amberlight Wed 05-Dec-12 12:55:35

Ledkr, no wise advice on that, but saying a hello anyway smile

Roca, fingers crossed that it will be nothing rudely behaved.

brew all round, I think. <staggers back from the glow of Christmas lights at Topsy's>

rocamadour Wed 05-Dec-12 13:17:41

Thanks amber smile. I've just cheered myself up by buying some stuff from Space NK. And hello ledkr. I had an ooph at 46 and my chin is fine wink. I recovered very quickly and I've no regrets.

Elibean Wed 05-Dec-12 13:27:02

<waving at old pals>

<well, not old, old would be cheeky coming from me, but ykwim grin>

roca just wanted to say: have had polyp in womb, which bled a bit, and then fell off before they could even remove it - whilst I was under GA, naughty thing. They are very common, even without Tamoxifen - and FWIW even in the unlikely event that you did have uterine cancer, I know a gynae who always says she has NEVER had a patient die of endometrial cancer. Its hugely treatable, unless left for ages and ages, which clearly wouldn't happen with you because you are bound to be careful after BC. I know several women who've had hysterectomies because of UC, and they are all fit and well years later smile

HTH a teeny bit...probably not as much as NK stuff...

Nipping on quickly to say hello to ledkr and hnd.

WAs wondering what the bright light was over Belfast, must be topsy decorations grin.

Nipped out this morning to do a homecheck for a greyhound being rehomed and got back to discover my lovely new rug which I bought yesterday had been chewed by my stupid mutt. He is now in the 'dog house' angry. Black labrador going cheap.

Hopefully nip back later as I really need to catch up on all your posts.

I'll have your dog gracie !
I had a polyp discovered during a smear when I was much younger- I've blanked it out as they were very matter of fact about it and yanked it out there and then-I was left a bit traumatised.
Lovely lunch out at nice local bistro- I had a spicy parsnip soup and homemade bread then salt and pepper calamari -dh had something yummily seasonal for his main course-chicken wrpped in pancetta with a hare stuffing and winter roasted veg and a cranberry reduction (v Mastercheffy) and we had a big bowl of their amazingly lovely frites -yum yum.

Copthallresident Wed 05-Dec-12 15:33:19

ledkr weight gain? hairy chin? and wrinkles? Well I don't think it would be at all superficial if you had to worry that being thrown into menopause would turn you into a huge hairy wrinkled old hag overnight shock I haven't had my ovaries removed but I did experience something they quaintly call "chemical castration" i.e. chemo stopped play 11 years ago when I was 43. Of course all those things can come with age, depending on your genes, and in my case greediness, but I really don't think I'm that far ahead of my peers. Actually quite a few of them had menopause around 45 anyway. And since my periods made my life a misery there were upsides, I actually felt better at first. Of course it has all gone a bit downhill since but it would anyway, wouldn't it? If it helps stop you worrying on the health front that will probably be less wrinkles?

roci Had polyps removed when I was 30, when having surgery for Cervical Cancer in situ, so all the hormones must have been already aligned but it hasn't changed into anything nasty in the decades since....

gigs peeks out from deep cover, at risk of unmasking my guilty Mumsnet habit secret, did we just get sat next to each other in a certain Italian restaurant? If it was you, you look great!

ledkr Wed 05-Dec-12 16:32:44

Hi all thanks for welcome and advice.
Roca I've had polyp too prob from tamoxifen it stopped all my symptoms immediately (bleeding)
I have an appointment Friday to discuss testing so ill decide then?
Was the op painfull and how long were you out of action as I have a 22 month old

rocamadour Wed 05-Dec-12 19:34:17

Thanks Elibean, ledkr and Copthall. More reassurance; how wonderful !
I don't remember any post op pain ledkr. Mine was done by keyhole; at my hospital they had a policy that if you had an am theatre slot you'd go home same day. Mine was 3pm so they kept me overnight, but tbh by 8pm I was fine, walking (ok shuffling) a bit, and eating/drinking normally. Next day I was perfectly ok, a bit tender but no more than that. Gynae warned me I would probably feel very tired for a fortnight, so I took it easy for a few days and probably had a couple of afternoon naps but after that I felt 100% back to normal and don't remember any fatigue. I'd had a 'chemopause' but bloods were showing not fully post menopausal hence the decision. I had a spell of worsening hot flushes etc but that's all settled now. I still get them but they're more infrequent.

Baskets45 Wed 05-Dec-12 19:40:30

Goodness, that bright light in the west must be topsy's lights. Did Gig and Copthall really accidentally meet in a place in sarf London? Amazing! and London's so big innit.

Hello, everyone! I've been silent of late, but lurking around regularly. Really tired, quite flat and defeated by my ongoing problems, bladdy, bladdy bla. And lappy had to go into the laptop hospital - all better now. Steam driven PC in room with no heating - a BIg disincentive in this weather. So not online much really. Good to see you are all still keeping going, and producing laughs too. All that can be expected really.

V excited to read of Gig's study plans - my DH did classics (he reads Latin and Greek mostly on the loo these days). I'd say, if you want to do it, go for it, girl! I can see the attraction in your circs of OU rather than conventional uni - easier to fit round your young family, fatigue, ongoing hospitaly stuff. I've done OU stuff in the past - very good support online.

I hope Ned is okay. ? seeing nice GP today.

I had a CT scan today and thought of you lot! <Potted history: my last scan showed a dodgy node and they wanted a closer look before doing a liver biopsy (supposed to be this month too - but no date as yet - yawn, yawn, I like to know these things so I can write in triplicate on my calendar). Node almost certainly due to all the autoimmune activity. I don't have cancer (as far as I know - will know more shortly, ho hum), but various autoimmune problems - main problem with liver and bile ducts just now>.

Anyway, I giggled and thought of you lot when I had the 'peeing ma breeks' sensation as they injected the dye, as it's been mentioned here on several occasions (yes, those who don't know me, I am scottish and I throw in the odd expression to keep you all on your toes).

So, hugs and best wishes to you all, esp the newcomers to the thread and those having a hard time.

waves to baskets !! oh yes,the weeing sensation grin

Baskets45 Wed 05-Dec-12 20:07:18

Hello. MAS! I've been reading your posts and you are often in my thoughts (not just when i think I'm peeing myself!). I had another MN-induced giggle a few weeks ago when having blood taken - after the thread on Chat about the location of Alaska and Hawaii, I went to the surgery and the HCA had a map of the world on her wall. They must all think i'm nuts .....

jchocchip Wed 05-Dec-12 20:18:54

Hi Baskets, Hello everyone - I'd love to do a bit of Latin again. I did have a look at the online Cambridge Latin course a couple of years ago - thought the technology was great...
Cooking tea so shouldn't be on the pooter ;) Jolly cold here, no snow as yet but very icy roads and it took me an hour and a half to get to work this morning sad Working from home tomorrow smile

Baskets45 Wed 05-Dec-12 20:37:01

Hello, jchoc. V cold here too. More snow tonight, so glad to have nowhere to go out to tomorrow. Was a bit worried about ds2 going out on ice in morning, but he tells me it'sa sponsored silence - I think the not talking will be some challenge for him [smiled]. ds has minor mobility problems and falls easily.

Baskets45 Wed 05-Dec-12 20:38:04

emoticon failure! dear me! smile

NedSchneebly Wed 05-Dec-12 20:40:16

Evening all

saw lovely doc today - have been told I've got reactive depression. oh and a chest infection too, but that's beside the point. have been put in touch with local mental health service about counselling but they can't see me until mid January and then only a telephone assessment. Dr Lovely coming to see me at home on Monday so we can have a bit longer to chat and going to ask nice practice nurse to see me again as well. Would prefer to talk to them rather than some anonymous counsellor anyway. Feeling a bit overwhelmed, but doc has increased my ADs so hoping will help. Am possibly going in to school tomorrow, so hoping being a bit pro active will help me feel better too.

Thanks for all your ongoing love and support everyone - it means such a lot to me x x x

Waves to baskets sorry you are having a rough time. Hopefully CT will be reassuring.

Hugs to ned

It is so very cold here, think I will head to bed with a hot water bottle.

ned how lovely Dr Lovely is- and talking to practice nurse will be good. What about bcn ? I guess I really lucked out with mine - both are exceptionally good and I would be lost without my particular one.
love to gracie baskets and jane

topsyturner Wed 05-Dec-12 22:19:51

Well I am still getting bumped off the mumsnet app , most miffed by this !
So have had to resort to the mobile site .
Sigh !

My illuminations are indeed stunning this year .
HND is just jealous as she can't keep up with me ...

Nothing new with me .
Now have "crochet hand"
My fingers are locked into a permanent claw as I have crocheted 3 hats and 2 willy warmers (don't ask !) since Saturday grin

ledkr Wed 05-Dec-12 22:22:20

Her next door I had recon at same time as mastectomy. All very good ta good for me psychologically as never needed to see a totally flat chest iykwim?
My non cancer one could go topless but the one that had cancer is a bit hard and nipple very flat but they look very good in clothes.
I was a 32a before so a great improvement for me.

Can I ask - am suffering a bit with tummy problems- I think diarrhoea (sorry- am squeamish about mentioning bottomly stuff) Would 4+ bouts of this throughout the day mean i should tell the chemo nurses ?

Copthallresident Wed 05-Dec-12 23:05:13

MAS I would, it means you are not getting full nutrition, and there may be things they can do to help with the rest of the treatment.

baskets I am not sure I was sat next to gigs it's just we are in the same suburb, so small town really and someone was on table next to friend and I who we both have enough insight to know was just post treatment/chemo (though it was by no means obvious unless you have been there, got the badge, IYSWIM). However I do hope gigs isn't a) feeling stalked b) feeling slighted c) thinking OMG I would never want anything to do with women like that d) was actually miles away and thinking I'm bonkers... Who ever it was was with DH (or lover for all I know) and we were there for a bit of bus shelter chat, and friend is private not prone like me to flinging prosthesis across room, so not appropriate for me in tactless prosthesis throwing mode to say Hi, are you gigs, oo look everybody it's Cancer corner hmm disturbing nice private moments and risking possibly looking demented to everyone in the vicinity (and also mixing Mumsnet with real life).

Yes, CT scans, not fun.

Neds I want a Dr Lovely, not Dr there's a lot of it about, hospitals deal with that. I support someone who is bipolar (on a epic scale) and I am afraid that is a quick and positive response from the mental health service. Dr Lovely sounds so lovely though I think you are right about talking to her.

Topsy I think I am about to get "knitting hands" having worn Killing jumper (as we established worn in Scandinavian drama, not for actual killing) at parents and Mum having said " I love your jumper" * 10, then told all her friends at Dad's party about jumper, then asked me how long it took to make jumper. I can take a hint but these things take me months and I have 20 days, I'll probably give her the one I made earlier...... So willy warmers? I am asking?

Gigondas Thu 06-Dec-12 07:29:38

copthall don't think it was me as I Picked yesterday to brave Oxford st amongst other things (visit to dietician and therapist) but interesting to know another chemo type locally so I don't have to feel too conspicuous.

ned am glad dr lovely helped but seems long time to wait so hope practice nurse and dr can help as well as ad.

mas echo what copthall says - but (sorry if tmi) looser movements and bout 3 times per day was normal when I was on chemo (I think more than 3 counts as diarrhoea).

baskets I was just wondering how you were- hope scan Etc shows something practical that helps you (ifykwim).

Back later as have to do kids' breakfast . Oh and signed up for open university course - starts feb!

mm, took my anti-diarrhoeal stuff - hope am ok for tonight's book group party- have also gone off my beloved green tea because it tastes weird..sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now