Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

does anyone have psoriasis?

(15 Posts)
purplerainbow Mon 03-Dec-12 08:25:17

Would like to know how u prevent it and what's best to use on it to help it heal?

AnitaBlake Mon 03-Dec-12 08:33:19

Yup. Had it since I was 11. Hormonal changes, stress and winter are my major triggers. So I need a stressfree life somewhere hot lol. Its one if those things you just have to accept and try to control rather than prevent really. Keep your skin well moisturised, lots of exposure to the sun if you can, and a good treatment regime.

Different creams work for different people (ask for creams and gels rather than ointments, in my case I can't stand ointments on my skin, so although they are more effective if used correctly, I won't use them.....). Oh and avoid soap, its far too drying on the skin.

purplerainbow Mon 03-Dec-12 09:08:44

Thanks. Is it best to use psoriasis specific creams?

TheMysteryCat Mon 03-Dec-12 09:24:01

Best I've found is double base gel (gp prescription), coconut oil and plenty of sunlight on affected areas. Mine is particularly horrid in winter

vvviola Mon 03-Dec-12 09:28:16

Mine is pretty much confined to my scalp, which makes life easier in some respects and more annoying in others.

Out of the non-prescription stuff, I've had minor (reduces itch, softens plaques, keeps things on an even keel - nowhere near clearing it) success with "dream cream" by Lush, and also a bee propolis and manuka honey cream I got here in NZ (particularly useful while pg & breastfeeding)

Sunlight helps, as does getting enough sleep and avoiding stress.

Sarae2201 Mon 03-Dec-12 09:30:45

I've got it too unfortunatly and I agree with Anita, stress and winter make it worse!! I use mosituriser suxh as E45 cream or a prescribed moisturiser called diprobase and an onitment called diprosalic. The ointment is very greasy and isnt too nice but i find it is the only thing that helps keep mine under control. All though its terrible at moment. Hopeyou manage to find something which helps smile

MadMumToThree Mon 03-Dec-12 09:55:40

DH has suffered for many years - he finds stress makes it worse and is better in the summer. He uses doublebase cream and Dove body wash/liquid soap works best at the moment.

AnitaBlake Mon 03-Dec-12 09:58:39

I wouldn't bother with the stuff you can get on internet either. Some if it is very nice, but none of it has ever actually helped. You need treatments on prescription really. Betnovate works very well, but get used to only being able to use things for a short while as steroids are your best hope of containing it.

The best ointment I've ever used is Dovobet, but its a very strong steroid and as soon as you stop using it the plaques usually returnsad

Mumelie Mon 03-Dec-12 21:40:16

Oh yes had it since I was 2 on my scalp, face, ears, elbows, and in my nails. Used to be all over, especially in skin folds but controlling my stress levels and cutting down on alcohol has helped. Prescription wise I use a steroid cream and a scalp solution. Neither of which clear it just controls it. They also cause me to have acne not sure which is worse?
Moisturise as much as you can before using treatments. E45 cream good or www.eucerin.com/en/home/ which is a range with urea in. The shampoo is amazing on scalp psoriasis.
There is sadly no cure. There are much stronger treatments for severe cases but think the side effects are pretty grim. It's trial and error to find what works for you though.
Take a look at https://www.psoriasis-association.org.uk/ for more info.

slowgin Wed 12-Dec-12 04:56:22

I've had some severe bouts and at one time I was covered from head to toe, I also had a reaction to propannalol beta blocker and would suggest checking any meds you're on don't trigger or make it worse.

I tried Dovobet and what they don't tell you is that some people have a withdrawl reaction when they stop using it and it can actually get worse and there are side effects with steroids i.e skin thinning.

I was so desperate at the end that I bought a uvb lamp, I think mine is dermafix but they're on amazon or direct from the manufacturer. This worked almost instantly for me I used it every other day for about 1min per patch - you must be very careful as you burn with uvb rays so start off 30seconds and work up.
You need to weigh up the risks attached to light treatment i.e. increased skin cancer risk, against clearing the patches. Sunlight is good but hard to get in winter and normal sunbeds aren't the right uv bandwidth to clear psoriasis so I'd avoid those.

Hope you find a treatment that works.

AnitaBlake Wed 12-Dec-12 07:39:12

UVB treatment is the only thing that's really worked for me tbh.

EIizaDay Wed 12-Dec-12 07:58:00

OH has it and the only thing that works for him really is the sun lamp thing and Exorex lotion.

HECTheHallsWithRowsAndFolly Wed 12-Dec-12 08:00:53

yup. I get a bad patch that flares up when I'm stressed.

I have dovobet cream for it.

campocaro Wed 12-Dec-12 08:05:54

I had a form of psoriasis for years and finally used this book: 'Healing Psoriasis: The Natural Alternative by John O. A. Pagano' . Basically eliminated almost everything from my diet for a year and it worked a treat. I am back on normal diet now and just get the odd patch (in winter or when stressed..) Also I spend a lot of time in the south of Spain so that helps.

lotsofdogshere Wed 12-Dec-12 08:14:06

Yes, and I had a bad flare up due to a biologic treatment for psoriatic arthritis that often goes with the skin problems. My GP was great. I found the best emollient was Hydromol, you can get it in cream and ointment forms. I found double base and E45 made it so painful, I couldn't use them when the skin was raw. Don't use soap, you can use Dermol hand/bath wash, or use the hydromol cream as a soap. There is a great support group on line, google psoriasis and it'll come up. Think it's called Psoriasis Help Organisation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now