Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Chances of baby catching chicken pox from my shingles?

(5 Posts)

I'm pretty sure I've got bastarding shingles for the second time this year. Last time, I was pregnant. This time, I have a 5 month old baby. Is it a dead cert that she'll catch chicken pix from me? Poor thing had just recovered from some other sort of lurgy (suspected ear infection) and now I'm going to give her pox, aren't I? sad

The rash is on my face so can't really be effectively covered. It has only just appeared today (after a few days of feeling under the weather) and I'll hopefully get aciclovir tablets from the Dr tomorrow.

Damn my shitty immune system angry

Anyone?

I'm desperately worried for poor DD.

KurriKurri Sun 02-Dec-12 23:55:39

Hi there - poor you having shingles, - I've had it 3 times on my face too and its an absolute bastard.

I think unfortunately there is a chance you baby will get chicken pox, because obviously you can't really keep your distance from her.

Its passed on by direct contact with the blisters, so if you can cover any of the rash, that would help (where is it on your face? - obv. if its round your eye that's quite hard to cover, but perhaps you could cover some of the spots with a dressing of some sort) Do you have much of a rash yet? - You might find if you can get the anti virals quick enough they will knock the rash on the head - that definitely happened with me the second time I had it - so it might be that you won't get too blistery, so your little girl will be less at risk.

Anyway I hope you feel better soon, and fingers crossed your baby doesn't catch CP.

Thank you Kurri.

Hopefully I can keep DD away from the blisters (at the minute they are 3 patches from the middle of my right cheek towards my right ear...almost exactly the same spot as last time. I think I've caught it quicker this time as the blisters are just forming whereas last time they were scabby before I got to the Dr so fingers crossed that the antivirals might help prevent them getting worse.

I felt guilty enough when DD caught a cold off me. I'll be beside myself if I give her CP at such a young age...although she's already started nursery in preparation for my return to work so I guess she was as likely to catch it there as from me.

Aciclovir tablets procured and the rash hasn't spread as far as I feared it was threatening to.

Updating in case anyone else has this query in future and comes by this thread....

Have to be very careful not to let DD touch the blisters and scrupulous with hand washing before touching her until it clears up but Dr reckons there's a good chance she'll have some residual level of immunity from me and perhaps even stronger immunity than normal because I had shingles while pregnant. Fingers crossed she'll avoid it this time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now