Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How can I come to terms with using a walking stick

(66 Posts)
slipperandpjsmum Sun 02-Dec-12 19:50:55

Somedays I struggle to walk and using a walking stick helps. But I just cannot bring myself to use it when I am out. So I struggle on in pain rather than use it. Has anyone else been presented with this? How did you deal with it? I don't know why, maybe it confirms my declining health, I don't want people to look at me differently?

Please help

SherlocksGirl Wed 04-Jun-14 15:52:12

Check out www.lindenleisure.com... they have a great walking stick/seat range!

PigeonPie Mon 17-Dec-12 22:30:45

Slipper - I'm 5' (wel just under really) and I've got an adjustable one which works well. I actually got it from the National Trust shop at Stowe gardens, so I think they're about; but I agree it can be quite tricky finding one that fits.

slipperandpjsmum Mon 17-Dec-12 20:10:48

I am also only quite short and am finding walking sticks tricky to find

PigeonPie Fri 14-Dec-12 22:33:02

I used to have to travel by train and tube and at that time (12 years ago) having a stick didn't guarantee one a seat and buses in London were terrible. I was very glad when we moved and I changed jobs so I didn't have to commute - the Oxford Park and Ride was so much nicer (but even then I would have comments about going upstairs if the bus was full - and no I can't do bus stairs, the ones at home are hard enough!).

Since my DSs are now far too big to go in the pushchair (as they're at school) I now have a petite Sholley which I use as a walking aid. The only disadvantage is that they're not designed for sitting on so waiting for the DSs to come out of school is hard as there are no seats outside DS2's classroom. We live within walking distance of school, which is fine on a good day, but it's not worth driving as I'd have to park the car almost as far away as we live so I just lean more heavily on the trolley and walk slowly home . It can often take me 10 to 15 minutes to do a walk that it will take DH 3.

What size do seat sticks come in? All the ones I've found are far too big for me (I'm only 5').

slipperandpjsmum Fri 14-Dec-12 19:02:12

colditz has it made you see the world in a different way? I know my diminishing mobility def has.

Does anyone have any tips for being in pain all the time? How do people cope?

crashdoll Fri 14-Dec-12 08:37:28

colditz My friend said a stick on the train would be great. It would guarantee a seat! grin

colditz Thu 13-Dec-12 20:57:59

I would happily carry a stick around, just think, every time someone was annoying you, you culd fantasise about hitting them on the head with your stick.

I think it would help me keep my temper.

I kind of know what you mean. I'm slowly going deaf, it's just age related degeneration. But I'm only thirty two, young enough for people to make jokes like "are you deaf or something" when I constantly ask them to repeat themselves, and then they get all embarrassed when I explain that actually, yes, quite deaf, and it would help if they spoke slower.

slipperandpjsmum Thu 13-Dec-12 20:51:03

I think its really hard taking those first steps with a stick. This thread has really helped me. I bought it off a suggested website, its black with spots on. I took into into work folded up in its case and left it on my desk. It didn't go quite as I had planned there was a crowd quite quickly with everyone wanting 'a go'. everyone was lovely and I feel alot better about things at the moment. Thanks so much to everyone that replied you have really helped me move my life on!

crashdoll Mon 10-Dec-12 17:09:09

I've added this thread to my watch list. My wonderful physio has been nagging me to get a walking stick for ages. I am wobbly, weak, sore and my ligaments are fucked <-- medical term! I'm finding it hard to come to terms with needing a mobility aid at 24. Mentally, I think I could be able to accept a crutch or two over a walking stick. I'm toying over a pair of purple ones. I'm just worried it will put more pressure on my other joints affected by my condition. I have RA in my hands, wrists and one shoulder too.

slipperandpjsmum Sun 09-Dec-12 18:39:52

Thanks for that Tianc - it was more for work if you know of anywhere as I can't carry my pads of paper round anymore?

I have ordered my fancy walking stick and tomorrow I am going to use it in the outside world!!

Tianc Sat 08-Dec-12 21:09:14

I just put "stick seat" into eBay... blush

But googling I've just found www.shoppingtrolleysdirect.co.uk/Mobility_Aids.php, which has shoppers with an integral seat. Does that match what you were looking for on the other thread, slipper?

CarolingFanjoChops Sat 08-Dec-12 21:05:22

Cool crutches is another great crutch company!! I have Ehlers-Danlos Hypermobility and use crutches every day, I have comfy handles on my NHS crutches which reduce the redness and sores on my hands but feel that it might be time to get some nicer ones as I have been using crutches for 9 years now, I wish I could stop as the judging looks just wear me out.

slipperandpjsmum Sat 08-Dec-12 20:18:14

A stick with a seat? That sounds ideal for me. Do you have a link to some that are good?

Tianc Sat 08-Dec-12 19:09:49

Hand-straps for sticks were highly recommended on the other thread, to get round the "perching the stick" problem.

fuzzpig, I have M.E. too, and have found a stick-seat to be the best thing since sliced cheese. I have a little sit down every time I stop at a receptionist's desk, browsing in a shop, etc.

But I don't have your severity of hand/wrist problems, and appreciate things might be different for you.

RabbitsMakeGOLDBaubles Sat 08-Dec-12 10:45:37

I have hand pain too, and so long as I don't over do it, I am fine. I use the stick to balance and keep a bit of weight off of my bad ankle.

fuzzpig Sat 08-Dec-12 10:10:13

I've been thinking about using a stick or crutches too - but not sure if they will help me. I have CFS/ME so I do get very tired walking, but a lot of the pain is in my hands/wrists so I'm not sure if leaning my excessive weight on them would make them hurt more.

slipperandpjsmum Sat 08-Dec-12 10:06:52

Any advice?

vladthedisorganised Thu 06-Dec-12 12:13:11

I used a stick for a while aged 20 and the first thing I did was customise it! NHS-issue one was painted to look like a thin pillar with a vine growing up it, and later I got a silver-tipped cane which was very elegant as well as practical.

I'm very lucky in that I don't need one any more, but having a cheery stick did make a difference at the time. Having a tiny cross-body bag for essentials and a backpack for everything else helped on the practical front.

slipperandpjsmum Thu 06-Dec-12 09:27:30

Certainly agree Zoo about feeling alone. When I posted this I prepared myself for no replies and your postings have really helped; about where to get lovely sticks, retorts when people comment and also about coming to terms. I keep bursting into tears when people ask me how I am which is very irritating (the crying not the asking)!! My dr suggested anti dep but I don't actually feel depressed just heart broken that I have lost my old life and all the plans I had for my future feel are slipping away. Everyday is a battle and I feel so tired fighting.

notcitrus Tue 04-Dec-12 17:23:31

I sometimes use a stick, and find it amazing that it's a magic talisman for getting a seat on a bus - people equate stick with 'needs seat' whereas if I don't have it I certainly don't get offered one and I'm hesitant about asking. And it gives you more space in the rush hour.

Mine is plain black folding one from local chemist, so blends in with all outfits! Also handy for steering small children and fending off annoying people who want to touch one's pregnant bump...

Tianc Tue 04-Dec-12 17:08:47

Have just put those fabby sticks on that thread.

RabbitsMakeGOLDBaubles Tue 04-Dec-12 17:03:27

Thanks Tianc, popped you on watch and will come along and contribute soon hopefully.

Tianc Tue 04-Dec-12 17:00:12

If anyone's interested, we were collecting links to mobility stuff on this thread: Welcome to the Wheelie-drome!

Must post some of this cool stuff on there!

RabbitsMakeGOLDBaubles Tue 04-Dec-12 16:47:40

Good idea! I've been looking for ways to make my scooter more "me"! I really want a knitted chair cover, pretty granny squares in shades of purple. And a blanket. And a cool bag with a nice lining and a pretty colour. And a functional little side bag for the chair arm to hold my phone and stuff I need access to quickly.

mouldyironingboard Tue 04-Dec-12 15:07:52

I use a mobility scooter to get around but use walking sticks too. As well as a walking aid, I treat them my sticks as a fashion accessory and match them to whatever outfit I'm wearing. smile

Perhaps we should start a thread in the mn style and beauty section called 'pimp my mobility aids'!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now