Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

struggling to eat

(5 Posts)
SoggySummer Sat 01-Dec-12 23:09:02

I have had a really stressful time the past few months. Lots of different things one after the other going on which has led me to shake, feel sick (and even vomit on one occassion),

I am still quite stressed out but learning to live with it now, my life currently is lurching from 1 disaster to another. There is no escape from the crap life is throwing at me at the mo. I have gone from loving food to being unable to eat really. I have pretty much lost my appetite, I can literally go all day without feeling hungry. I have days when I have been on my own and because I have no DC to prepare meals for I have plainly just forgotten to eat. I only notice when I start to feel dizzy and get trembly (different kind of shaking to what I have had when in shock or stressed out). This is sometimes 36/48 hours since I last ate.

I am now forcing myself to eat after a couple of embarrassing faints. The problem is I can force it down, I dont enjoy it and it seems to just sit in my stomach for hours and hours feeling heavy and making me feel nauseaus and bloated.

I ate (2 weetabix in warm milk) at 4pm and want to go to bed but still feel like I ate a massive meal 20 minutes ago. I have also started taking a sick bowl to bed because when I lie down I think I will be sick but I have not to date.

I am a bit on the chubby side so not wasting away but I am losing weight as my clothes dont fit. I joke about being on the stressed out diet to friends but I am now becoming concerned because I am genuinely struggling to eat and enjoy food. 4 or 5 months ago I loved my food. Cooked loads, ate out lots - probably over ate. Food was a big part of my life and social life. Now I just dont even feel hungry. Even fave snacks and food like a cake for a treat or chocolate, I think I fancy it but one mouthful and I just cant eat anymore.

Has anyone else been through this? When does it start to get better? When will I want to eat again?

tabbycat15 Sun 02-Dec-12 06:40:38

Depression can cause loss of appetite. It happens to me to when my depression is bad or when stressed.

I would speak to a pharmacist & get some build up drinks. Try @ eat bananas or muesli bars. Small meals are best little & often.

I would see your Dr for blood tests to rule out any underlying causes. You may need anti depressants to lift your mood which will help with appetite.

Motillium is brilliant for the bloated sicky feeling. If you're so stressed that you can't eat though I think it might be worth a visit to the GP to see if there's any help they can offer both with the stomach problems and stress. I've had similar symptoms to you and found that a couple of months course of antacids really helped

digerd Sun 02-Dec-12 09:48:30

do see your GP, for a blood test, as you could be lacking in essential vitamins and minerals, and these can be supplemented .
I have always been thin and need lots of food, but I too had loss of appeteite due to stress, and kept myself going with liquid complan type drinks. Now and again, my appetite said it wanted a soft boiled egg and a banana, which I managed to eat.
My blood test was fine during that time, so I did the right thing.

SoggySummer Sun 02-Dec-12 16:44:44

I think I will have to see the GP soon if there is no change. I have started to take Metatone Tonic to try and compensate for some vitamins and minerals.

I also attempt to eat fortifed breakfast cereals for the same reason.

Thank you for sharing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now