Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

is anyone else ill after their flu jab

(19 Posts)
Startail Sat 01-Dec-12 20:53:23

DD (14) refuses to have hers.
Makes her feel grotty and arm hurt, so she can't get to sleep.

digerd Sat 01-Dec-12 10:44:58

Iwish
I feared that was it, but muscles not as firm as they were there either, and have to sit on a cushion anyway. The only good muscle I have is in the calf !!!

I remember those bum injections when I was much younger and had a very firm pert bum < grumpy old woman face>, and they really hurt!!

missnappyknickers Sat 01-Dec-12 08:29:41

Had mine early october,didn't have a sore arm this time but for about a week after I felt heavy eyed,headachy and really tired,dh felt the same after his..related to the flu jab I think

MamaMary Fri 30-Nov-12 19:33:04

Yes it gave me the flu and my midwife told me it gave her the flu as well

Not sure why she told me as it put me off getting it even more. I'm supposed to as I'm pg but really don't want to get sick again. I've been run down for weeks anyway.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Fri 30-Nov-12 19:25:01

digerd - your bum!

LIZS Fri 30-Nov-12 17:42:41

Bit snuffly and arm sore - worse today than yesterday hmm

digerd Fri 30-Nov-12 17:29:58

Iwish
Which are they, don't think I have any. But my lower forearm is now overburdened. My upper arm muscles seem to have given up the ghost

Got an appt with physio on Monday, and he didn't seem surprised that it happened after the flu jab this year.

Being on my lap top with my elbow bent is making it worse too!

IwishIwasmoreorganised Thu 29-Nov-12 21:42:47

digerd. You'll have to ask them to inject your gluteal muscles next year!

digerd Thu 29-Nov-12 17:31:01

Reeny
Thanks for the advice.
I have been having these jabs for a few years and never had this happen.
I have very little muscle in my arms, and where I was jabbed there is nothing but bone and tendons, which are still tender when I touch the area. It has got worse as my lower arm from elbow down has taken the strain when I lift, pull. Above and below elbow is now hard and painful, and am using backshoulder muscles too to compensate for the almost lame upper arm muscles . The pain runs like a nerve pain down to my wrist now, and jab point twinges like a nerve too.
Will go to my physio, to see if he has any ideas what it is as can't do much housework < smile> or gardening < sad face>, as tried and some things are agony.

Madsometimes Thu 29-Nov-12 15:05:14

No, I just get a sore arm. I think you can get a mild fever and general malaise after the flu jab, but it's certainly not flu.

Apparently you can't develop 'flu from having the jab, but if you already have any 'flu or cold virus in you (even if your not symptomatic) then you start to fight it, hence making you poorly

BikeRunSki Wed 28-Nov-12 22:04:40

I always get a mini bout of flu for 2 days, 2 days after a flu jab.
Although last year I had a C section under GA too. Then another operation. Then my body went haywire and I was really quite poorly.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Wed 28-Nov-12 22:01:13

At this time of year there's so many coughs and colds around it could well be coincidence that you feel unwell around the same time as having the jab.

I've only ever suffered with a very sore arm after having it. This year it was particularly bad, but still better than getting 'flu!

Magicmayhem Wed 28-Nov-12 21:57:32

thanks for sharing with me, I wonder why some people react and some don't...
Liz, fingers crossed you don't react...

LIZS Wed 28-Nov-12 21:33:55

I just had my first one today so guess will feel ill effects tomorrow having survived the immediate period (was told about anaphylaxis just as she was injecting it !) My mum had hers in October and was fine.

Reenypip Wed 28-Nov-12 21:31:50

*she

Reenypip Wed 28-Nov-12 21:31:28

Hiya,
I normally have a flu jab and don't get any problems.
But this year I've had it and was ill for 2 days after.

Digerd, if safe hit a nerve you would know about it, your arm would automatically reflex and shoot up in the air and a possible scream from yourself lol....
I can nearly fall asleep from jabs, bloods or getting a line in me. But when they hit a nerve, oh my! I knew about it and so did the doctor!

digerd Sun 25-Nov-12 22:37:39

Always had a bruised arm for a few days, but this year my arm is aching as think nurse jabbed a nerve. But not had flu symptoms. Had mine 2 months ago.

Magicmayhem Sun 25-Nov-12 22:21:10

I always used to have a flu jab, but it always coincided with me getting a bout of mild flu a short time afterwards... ie sore throat, ache muscles, generally feeling ill, and ill enough to be off work... it happened several times and I decided against having it again..
My mum had the flu jab last week, and is experiencing the same symptoms, this happened to her last year as well.
I just wondered if this was a common side effect with other people too? as I was told that it can't give you flu as its not a live vaccine...

so If you've had the same symptoms, please share them with me

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now