Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Tomorow I will find out if I have depression or a thyroid problem

(6 Posts)
digerd Mon 26-Nov-12 16:55:50

I eventually had the op to radically reduce its size and been fine eversince .Hope your dad is OK now and at least you know your Thyroid is fine.

After my DH died of cancer, I was put on Ads, but they didn't agree with me. But try them, as you will never know and many people have found them benificial

pud1 Mon 26-Nov-12 10:21:41

my dad had the lot i think. he has it quite severe.

i have been to the doctors this morning and my bloods are fine so its not thyroid. he has given me some ADS. not sure if i want them though. am going to have to have a good think.

digerd Mon 26-Nov-12 09:16:03

Text book symptoms for Underactive
Weight gain
Sluggish
Hair loss

Overactive
Weight loss and ravenous appetite
Nervy/ irritable/ rages/ trembling fingers
Hot and sweating
In advanced stages - swollen thyroid gland ( Goitre) and bulging eyes
Rapid pulse and eventual weakness and breathlessness

Not everybody has all these symptoms

What symptoms did your dad have?
I had all of them when overactive in my 20s

pud1 Sun 25-Nov-12 20:04:50

SARAH - what are the symptoms. I have had no weight change, not overly tired I am just snappy and pissed off with frequent headaches

Sarahplane Sun 25-Nov-12 20:01:55

If it's an underactive thyroid then you'll be prescribed thyroxine, they'll kind of guestimate the dose and then give you another blood test about a month later and keep adjusting until youre on the right dose. Once you're on the right dose you will feel so much better. It made a huge difference for me.

pud1 Sun 25-Nov-12 19:51:58

i went to the gp last week after posting on here. I have been feeling low and generally unhappy with no good reason. I have laso been getting a lot of headaches. I went to my gp and he suggested that I have blood test for my thyroid. My dad has problems with his thyroid and is on thyroxin and has also had an op. I never even considered that I could have it.
Anyway my question is what should I expect either way. Gp said that if we can rule put thyroid he will give me something to " pick me up". Will he just prescribe AD's. I am not sure this is the route I want to go down. If it is thyroid what will be my treatment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now