Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Coming off beta blockes (Propranolol)

(7 Posts)

Well started today, reduced down to 1 tablet....so far so good!

I feel lethargic too Jitterbugjules. Somedays I just feel sick to my stomach and so very heavy and lazy, I am hoping that this goes away.

They also made me put weight on, I am hoping that drops off too when I stop. Not asking for much am I grin

andrea315 Sun 25-Nov-12 12:31:13

I do I am on something else now and feel loads better good luck.

Jitterbugjules Sun 25-Nov-12 11:20:31

I was on propranolol for five months or so and they made me feel awful - like a complete zombie! I came off them over a few days and felt much better straight away.

I take them to try and stop dizziness. So you obviously felt better for stopping them andrea - I hope I do.

andrea315 Sun 25-Nov-12 00:45:12

I came off them fine just dropped them down slowly over a week or so just to be sure they were making my blood pressure to low and I kept going dizzy on them x

I have been on propranollol for about 18 months now. I take 40mg twice a day. Originally it was given to me for vertigo that was caused by migraines. It did nothing at all to help. I was then given Amitryptiline to take with them. They worked and have helped me at least be able to function.

Now a new GP thinks that the dizziness is coming from my neck and said to stop the beta blockers but carry on with the Ami. I am happy with coming off them because I don't think they helped. It may have been the mix of the two medications (Prop and Ami) that helped, but I am doubtful, I think it is the Ami that is helping.

Anyway, has anybody come off Propranolol? I am going to reduce to one tablet a day for a week, then drop the one tablet to nothing for the second week. Will I feel any different?

I am hoping I feel a lot better when I come off them. I have put weight on and just feel generally tired and lethargic while I have been on them.

But, because I have been taking them for 18 months I am a bit nervous incase coming off them gives me any strange side affects?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now