Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Frightening experience after dancing yesterday

(5 Posts)
lisalisa Mon 19-Nov-12 23:20:24

I am looking for some reassurance really I thnink. I went to a party yesterday and did some very intense 5 minute dancing - think very energetci. Whilst i was dancing I did feel a bit out of breath but nothing major but when i stopped and made my way back to my seat I could not breathe. I was breathing so fast and in such deep gulps that I genuinely could not catch my breath and be satisfied from it ( if that makes sense). I felt extremely close to panicking and to somethng bad happening although i don't know what!

The feeling evertually died down but only after an intense 10 minutes of very fast breathing. I also felt a need to drink a ton of water and the initial few sips seemed to have regulated my breathiing again.

I shoudl add that I am overweight ( a size 18) and whilst I used to go to the gym every day haven't been for about 6 months.

lisalisa Mon 19-Nov-12 23:22:27

Oh and seem to have developed a short dry cough after incident tha thas continued too

MrsGrieves Mon 19-Nov-12 23:29:25

Maybe you have a chest infection brewing and the dancing exacerbated that? Best have a chat to your GP.

ApplesinmyPocket Mon 19-Nov-12 23:53:53

I'm asthmatic and sometimes get the 'even a deep breath doesn't get any air in' feeling after exertion. I find I automatically bend over from the waist in a sitting position (ambulance man once called it' Tripoding') to try and get the breath I need and eventually something seems to relax again.

You say you have a 'short, dry cough' now too; this can also be characteristic of asthma I believe. GP visit in order perhaps?

lisalisa Tue 20-Nov-12 12:39:16

Thanks apples - it did occur to me that it could be asthma although I have never ever had symptoms before or breathlessness during exercise. The cough is gone now - lasted about 24 hours

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now