Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

V Heavy period (Warning: Possibly TMI)

(5 Posts)
Winterwardrobetime Mon 19-Nov-12 18:47:08

Has anyone else experienced a one off exceptionally heavy period? I had heavy periods before the kids, and would say that I probably have slightly heavier than average periods (not that you ever know of course). But this one is something else. I am going through tampons about every hour and (TMI Warning) when I was sorting myself out yesterday blood was running out of me (sorry). It has eased off a bit today, but yesterday and Sat was like this with lots of clots too. Do you think I should get it checked or is it not unusual to occasionally have a very heavy period? I'm not on the pill or any other form of hormonal contraception. It's odd, and I feel whooshed. Doctors in the morning or just see what happens next month? I would normally say one of those oddities, but a friend this morning thought I should get checked out and now I'm wondering if I actually should?

HardlyEverHoovers Mon 19-Nov-12 20:36:00

Is there any possibility you could be miscarrying? If so, don't use tampons, go and see the doctor, and go to a+e if going through more than 1 pad an hour.

HardlyEverHoovers Mon 19-Nov-12 20:36:38

Sorry to suggest it but I've had 3 and it sounds familiar, are you having any cramping?

alcibiades Mon 19-Nov-12 20:54:47

I experienced something similar - and it's a bit frightening, isn't it?

I would also suggest seeing your GP, partly because the GP might run some tests, e.g. iron levels, but also because it'll get put in your medical notes. There's every likelihood that it won't be as bad again, but if it does then a record will be helpful to the medics for further investigations.

Winterwardrobetime Mon 19-Nov-12 21:12:47

Thanks for your replies. Absolutely no cramping at all (which is unusual as normally day 1/2 are quite painful, whereas this time nothing at all, just the heavy bleeding.

Don't think it's possible for me to be miscarrying as DH has been away most of the month and I don't think we have had sex this month as a result (she says thinks.. 2small kids, always tired, husband away a lot, a plethora of visitors so, I'm sure we haven't this month!) and I had a period last month so I'm sure that's not it.

I did wonder about early menopause symptoms, but it would be early no as I'm 35. Hmm. Will make an appt with the doctor I think, even if as alcibiades suggests it will be on my notes. I could prob do with my iron levels checked too, I had a nasty PPH after my last baby was born and was on iron for ages after that.

Thanks everyone, I'll make an appt.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now