Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

MRI scan on head - experiences!!??

(8 Posts)
whowherewhen Fri 16-Nov-12 16:26:48

I saw a consultant neurologist yesterday and he can't put his finger on what's going on with my head so am going for a scan. He did say that it didn't look like anything too serious but could be what are called pressure headaches. Has anyone had similar and what was the outcome???

PerryCombover Fri 16-Nov-12 16:31:06

I had a ct scan and then an MRI
The MRI was fine as experiences go.
I have them every 3 mths ATM not unpleasant but not nice
Put you in machine. Put a cage type thing over head to keep you still and then off you go
MRI machine is loud but not painful or anything

bluesky Fri 16-Nov-12 16:36:14

Yes, my son had MRI scan on his head. It's nothing to worry about, honestly!

You lie down and are cushioned around the head with a mask/headgear thing on, a bit like a cyberman I thought. They gave my son headphones and he chose to listen to the olympics, because the machine is very noisy when it's switched on. The voice from the other room (the operator) would tell him when she was turning the machine on and how long it would last, ie 3 minutes, so that he could keep perfectly still. Occasionally she would come to alter the head position, he was also having his neck done at the same time, so we were probably in there for 20 minutes.

He was being seen for a suspected tumour though, so they knew what they were looking for. The headaches persisted for a while longer, he had lots of really good massages at our nearest pain clinic and saw an osteopath, he is now almost headache free and SO much happier.

Hope your MRI goes well.

whowherewhen Fri 16-Nov-12 16:36:47

Did it find anything wrong though?? PerryCombover

Zippylovesgeorge Fri 16-Nov-12 17:03:57

I had one last month - whilst it was noisy it didn't hurt. Wasn't keen on the feeling of head being held in the clamp thing but the operator was lovely and kept taking to me over the intercom. I was given a buzzer to use if I needed to come out but managed not to use it.

Milliways Fri 16-Nov-12 17:13:27

I had 2 brain scans a few years ago. It is very nice to have an official letter that you have a "perfectly normal" brain to show your family when they are rude about it! smile

Good luck

Zippylovesgeorge Fri 16-Nov-12 17:16:09

Milli - I have one of those letters too - rather proud of it!!

PerryCombover Fri 16-Nov-12 17:28:45

Also sometimes you are given an injection at the same time
That's also fine

I found the music more irritating than anything else because the machine when on was too loud to hear it and it was white noisish amongst the thudding sound
Mebe just me

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now