Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone who springs out of bed in the morning - share your tips please!

(16 Posts)
PackItInNow Sun 18-Nov-12 19:45:17

Have you tried sleeping as far away from anything electrical as you can? I've found that I sleep better and rise earlier (around 5.30 - 6am) since I asked DH to sleep near the alarm clock.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Sun 18-Nov-12 17:24:12

How old is your mattress? We've just changed ours (it wasn't that old but it must've been not the right one for me) and it has made an enormous difference to how well I sleep, I do now find getting up a whole lot easier.

TallulahTinsel Sun 18-Nov-12 17:21:11

Just catching up with the now, thank you.

Some obvious things that, embarrassingly, I hadn't thought of!

Alarm will be at other side of bedroom tonight.

Also, will go to bed at 10.30 pm at the latest this week!

redadmiralsinthegarden Fri 16-Nov-12 19:54:36

i also believe in early nights!
i find that being active for the half hour B4 bed helps me sleep better as well. if i stay vegged out on the sofa watching TV or on Mumsnet I tend to suffer insomnia. But making myself put away the washing or tidying the lounge helps me to sleep better.

There is a saying that an hour's sleep before midnight is worth two afterwards. I go to bed early in the week, 9 ish, but then I have to get up at 5.00 a.m. I enjoy the quiet time in the morning. I have time to do my Jillian Michaels DVD and get ready in the bathroom without having to dance around OH.

MrsHoarder Thu 15-Nov-12 15:34:18

I have a cup of tea (from the themas mug dh makes before he goes to work) as soon as I wake up. Then its straight out of bed and ready to face the day.

When dh is away/otherwise not up at 6 I struggle more...

buttercrumble Thu 15-Nov-12 15:30:19

Im usually in bed for 10pm, and up at 6.40 in a morning to get the kids ready. I use my mobile alarm and always put over the other side of room , so i quickly jump out of bed. Im still pretty groggy though until iv'e had my caffine fix..........

Lottapianos Thu 15-Nov-12 15:29:37

Absolutely agree with early nights. Lights off by 10.30 in the Lotta household and no-one needs to be dragged screaming out of bed at 6.30 the next morning grin

lubeybooby Thu 15-Nov-12 15:26:02

Early nights work for me (10pm latest) but I need to work hard at it or I get insomnia.

I have strict rules of no caffiene after 4pm, no napping in the day not even closing my eyes for ten mins as I find even that really affects it. I have to make sure my bed is comfy and room a nice temp, not cold or hot.

If I have a lot on my mind and suspect it will keep me awake at night, I have a stash of sleeping pills for those odd nights.

Conflugenglugen Thu 15-Nov-12 15:20:46

A bit of a cheaty one: put your alarm on the other side of the room. That'll make you spring out of bed. grin

beachyhead Thu 15-Nov-12 15:14:37

I only spring out if I've got in bed the night before at 10pm with no wine in me! And then I'm not sure 'spring' is the right description, but I don't need concealer!

FermezLaBouche Thu 15-Nov-12 15:13:47

Agree with myfavorite - during the week 10 is the latest I stay up. I get up six every morning for work and feel fine. Early nights really are the key.

myfavoritedayismonday Thu 15-Nov-12 15:11:52

I reccomend getting into bed at 10.00 most nights. That helps me a lot.

digerd Thu 15-Nov-12 11:34:52

My overweight SIL always jumped out of bed at 5am bright eyed and bushy tailed and when children grown up, went for a brisk walk from 6am-8am in her 60s. I was never a morning or night person - more 10am - 10pm. It just happens to be in people's genes.

But you have 3 small children and that must be a factor for you.
Someone will be along soon to advise you of the various vitamins that may help and energy giving foods etc.

LadyMaryChristmas Thu 15-Nov-12 10:56:15

Some people are early birds envy

Sounds like you need a bit of an overhaul. Try eating properly, and going to bed a little earlier. It will help to boost your energy levels. smile

TallulahTinsel Thu 15-Nov-12 10:50:14

I am just so tired most of the time and I want to boing out of bed when the alarm goes off rather than hitting snooze and oversleeping blush

Think I need a major life overhaul....

Dc's aren't particularly challenging at the moment (14, 9 & 2) so I can't blame them. I only work part time and my dh does loads round the house.

I don't eat especially well at the moment and tend to stay up longer than I should (11 ish) as it tends to be the only quiet time I get!

No medical issues that are causing it, just feel sluggish and tired, which makes me feel lazy (hence mumsnet ting rather than doing some much needed housework!)

So, please share any advice as I want to be energetic and I knw December will be hectic grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now