Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Droopy mouth, odd taste in mouth and cant taste anything...

(19 Posts)
Milliways Fri 16-Nov-12 17:11:07

My DS had this when he was 4 and was given eye drops and tape to keep it closed at night.

His was very mild and he started to get movement back after about a week to 10 days (no steroids - he was v. little). He made a full recovery and we were warned he may be prone to this as was so young to have it, but 13 years later we have had no signs. smile

Like Blondes said - he was told to try puffing his cheeks out and do various stretching exercises though.

Hope you are managing drinking with a straw etc, and that you get your taste back properly soon.

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 16-Nov-12 16:59:41

sorry to hear this, was reading and was going to say bells palsy (my friend had it last week) - she posted earlier

try eye drops, you need to moisten your eyes or you may scratch the surface

has the doctor given you facial exercises to do? try puffing out your cheeks, like blowing up a balloon

ohmeohmy Wed 14-Nov-12 20:51:36

A good acupuncturist can do wonders for bells

XBenedict Wed 14-Nov-12 20:28:06

Oh Oddballno1 I'm sorry to hear that. I remember my brother having this and my nan. Both recovered will no lasting effect and it has never returned.

Oddballno1 Wed 14-Nov-12 20:11:16

I have Bells Palsy. I am on steroids and so far there is no change.

My eye is very sore from not blinking so I am off work due to constant computer work. Fingers crossed it goes soon, it isnt very nice sad

Bunbaker Sun 11-Nov-12 19:07:58

Can you smile?
Can you raise both arms above your head?
If you can't do either then go to A & E now

If only your face is affected it sounds like Bells Palsy and you should see your GP tomorrow.

Oddballno1 Sat 10-Nov-12 19:52:15

I thought it might be Bells Palsy, my Dad had it a few years ago but a lot worse then my face it. You wouldnt notice my mouth if you werent looking IYSWIM.

I have had a few to drink so will see how I am in the morning. I havent got the children tonight and a friend is staying with me. If I am no different in the morning I will go to the walk in clinic.

I havent had much sleep this week as the children have been ill so I am hoping a good nights sleep and lie in will help!

XBenedict Sat 10-Nov-12 19:48:38

Sounds like Bells Palsy but I would advise calling NHS direct.

RyleDup Sat 10-Nov-12 19:47:19

A&E.

VerySmallSqueak Sat 10-Nov-12 19:46:19

You need to be seen by someone like others have said.

lubeybooby Sat 10-Nov-12 19:45:42

A&E - go right now.

MyCatIsAStupidBastard Sat 10-Nov-12 19:45:21

I would call NHS direct if I were you. |Thate does not sound like something you should ignore.

MrsDeVere Sat 10-Nov-12 19:43:31

Anything with neurological type symptoms really should be checked out.

HappyTurquoise Sat 10-Nov-12 19:42:38

Yes, get seen by A & E asap.

bonzo77 Sat 10-Nov-12 19:42:07

Sounds to me like a Bell's Palsy. I would get to A&E. Most recover fully, but steroids can improve the outlook and lead to faster recovery. If it involves your eyelid and you cannot close it there is a risk of permanent damage to your eye, so you do need to be seen ASAP.

poachedeggs Sat 10-Nov-12 19:40:40

I would phone NHS direct foradvice.

PseudoBadger Sat 10-Nov-12 19:39:58

I don't want to worry you but I'd get checked out ASAP at walk in or A&E.

Oddballno1 Sat 10-Nov-12 19:36:07

Ps Im 31yo, a single mother of 2 and have been under a fair bit of stress recently!

Oddballno1 Sat 10-Nov-12 19:35:38

What can it be?

On Tuesday night I had a weird headache and felt sick. It hurt when I touched the right side of my face.

On Thursday my tongue started feeling weird. I couldnt taste anything and had a metallic taste in my mouth (am defo not pg!!)

Today I still have the taste in my mouth and the right side of my mouth is drooping. If I say a, e, i, o, u the right side of mouth cant do it properly.

I feel fine today though.

Any thoughts? I have got some Benadryl (dp) incase its an allergy and have bought new tooth paste and a medicated mouth wash.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now