Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

what would cause me to bruise badly...

(19 Posts)
ThatVikRinA22 Fri 09-Nov-12 03:06:54

without even knowing about it?

i have found a huge purple black bruise on my inner thigh.
ive no idea what caused it or how i did it. it does not hurt at all.

given the fact that i feel like im currently falling to pieces health wise im wondering what could cause it?
nothing major, but lots of little health niggles lately. verrucas by the gazillion, tired, lethargic, and now, it seems,big black bruises that i know nothing of....

im being daft arent i?

monsterchild Fri 09-Nov-12 03:10:20

I sometimes get bruises from carrying things, or supporting them for a few moments. I had matching mysterious bruises on my inner arms once, I finally figured out it was from carrying a box!

Could you have bumped a door or chair? Obvs not sure where on your inner thigh, but anything heavy resting there could cause a bruise, like a toddler standing on your lap?

You're not being daft, mysterious bruising is worrisome!

ThatVikRinA22 Fri 09-Nov-12 03:11:52

i genuinely cannot for the life of me think how ive done this.

unless i have done it while riding....im not very elegant getting off a horse. but i have no recollection of hurting myself at all.
weird.

monsterchild Fri 09-Nov-12 03:20:52

Well if you're riding, I'm sure that was it! I also ride, and if you dismount and clonk the pommel it could happen. I have odd bruising all over me when I ride. i get those brown pressure bruises from the stirrup leathers. (I don't wear tall boots)

Also, horses have a way of just hitting you...

justbogoffnow Fri 09-Nov-12 03:21:31

Riding is possibly the culprit - the bruise could be due to pressure rather than you bumping yourself.

ThatVikRinA22 Fri 09-Nov-12 03:26:00

could be i guess. im back tomorrow for another lesson....i will inspect myself before and after grin

just seems so bad a bruise for absolutely no pain. the only think i can think of is that i clonked the saddle while getting off.....

never noticed though.

justbogoffnow Fri 09-Nov-12 03:27:02

Good luck tomorrow smile

monsterchild Fri 09-Nov-12 03:28:28

You may notice it tomorrow. but if it isn't hurting I'd say its the riding.

And have fun at the lesson! I'm jealous

EugenesAxe Fri 09-Nov-12 03:40:49

I've discovered shit loads on my legs in the past and wondered about their origin... I later decided it was carrying my 'not small anymore' DD in the MaxiCosi, while holding DS (2).

In short - it will be something you consider a normal part of life that does actually give your body a battering but that you just put up with.

lurkingfromhome Fri 09-Nov-12 12:56:42

Could it be an insect bite? This summer I got a huge bruise on my leg from being bitten by something in the garden. I scarcely remembered the bite but the bruise was enormous and took days to fade.

bran Fri 09-Nov-12 13:03:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Footle Mon 26-Nov-12 14:04:50

Do you take aspirin ? That would do it.

lazydog Mon 26-Nov-12 19:04:42

Get your bloods checked - I bruised really badly, with no recollection of anything that could have caused them, when I was anaemic.

I was also permanently exhausted, extremely low and suffered frequent headaches. All sorted once my anaemia was treated smile

RyleDup Mon 26-Nov-12 19:09:33

I get large unexplained bruises too. I only recently found out that ventolin (for asthma) causes this, and I've been taking that stuff for years.

Vev Mon 26-Nov-12 19:20:02

Get your bloods checked.

piprabbit Mon 26-Nov-12 19:25:03

Make a note of when and where, so if you get any more odd bruising you can talk to your GP about them.

Showtime Mon 26-Nov-12 20:58:06

I was fine a couple of hours ago, done nothing odd, but now have half an index-finger turned bruised. Could have been an "extra " painkiller this p.m. I suppose, but a few weeks ago I had half the other hand turn into a huge bruise. Am not anaemic and bloods were ok this summer. Does it need checking please?

piprabbit Mon 26-Nov-12 21:49:26

Showtime - as always if something is unusual for you, I'd definitely go to the GP. Better to let them know and feel a bit daft once in a while, rather than stew about something and potentially miss out on treatment.

harbingerofdoom Mon 26-Nov-12 21:56:19

Ventolin? RyleDup Please tell. I'm getting little >5p size bruises that have no explanation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now