Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Calling all Raggedies - the THIRD Ragged Bits thread. Childbirth injuries, sphincter problems, fistulae... all welcome.

(890 Posts)
Jacksmania Fri 26-Oct-12 19:08:26

First thread here, May 2008 to June 2009.

Second thread here, June 2009 to Oct 2012.

Welcome everyone with ragged bits due to childbirth. We're sorry you had to find us, but we promise to hold your hand and listen.

There is no TMI here and nothing is too gross, too embarrassing or too horrible.

<lays out tea tray, buffet and alcoholic bar>

All welcome.

TeeGee1 Tue 28-Jul-15 20:54:17

Oh god throughthestorm that sounds just awful... you poor lady. so much to take into account each time, for so long. hope you get your surgery soon so you can move forward with ease. smile

I got my elcs thank god. consultant was wonderful. I almost had a breakdown when she said she needs to examine me. we put it off till 6 months. after birth I have to see a colorectal surgeon or something. The thought of more surgery down there is frightening, I have no trust. but now I just gotta worry about my stomach being cut open haha... at least I don't need to worry about anyone prodding around up there or any babies coming out!

crimson I have no experience of that. only stabbing pains when I need to go (fissures I guess). good luck.

CrimsonSunrise Tue 28-Jul-15 17:09:18

Hi everyone, I'm glad this thread's about because I need some advice. I had my beautiful DD2 7 weeks ago, pool birth and generally the birth was fantastic, everything I wanted after a horrific first birth with DD1. However I suffered a 4th degree tear and under went an hour or so's surgery to put everything back together. It went smoothly and it seemed to be healing really well, all the stitches had dissolved by 4 weeks and I escaped any infection or nasty complications.

I did have some very mild external hemorrhoids but they caused me very little issue until last week when one seem to have burst, was given Proctosedyl cream to use twice a day and after each bm. The pain seems to be internal now and feels more like a torn muscle? It constantly aches and throbs.

I've got a doctors appointment on Monday so I'll get it seen to then but I wondered if anyone has had a similar experience? I know in all reality it's still early days when it comes to being fully healed but its the suddenness of the pain that worries me. I've no issues with continence or the like either, seems my pelvic floor is coping for now. The pain is driving me loopy, ibuprofen doesn't stop it and the cream seems to be doing very little. I've noticed the pain seems to vanish once I've led down a while but as soon as I'm active (with a 19mo thats a lot of the time!) it begins to throb and really hurt again. Anyone anything similar at all?

Throughthestorm Tue 28-Jul-15 13:09:04

Tee gee I do hope you have an understanding Consultant . You have a choice and really your midwife should support you with this as long as you have made an informed choice x

I'm 44 and separated from my DH of 26 ish years and 4 dc.

About 15 years ago I had a rectocele repair and perineal refashioning then went on to have two more dc and ruin it all.

I've put up with a worsening rectocele for years and a gaping perineum.

Sometimes I can't hang on when I need a no. 2 and have been told my sphincter is damaged and I have a moderate to severe rectocele .

I was advised to leave surgery as long as as they want to do a hysterectomy at the same time . Being in a long marriage we were both comfortable with this .he never knew I could only make love if my bowel was empty and that sometimes it felt like he was in my bottom and I was scared of having an accident or breaking wind.

Now I've met a lovely gentleman and we had a night away and God I was nervous . I had to make sure I literally didn't eat for two days first !
I had to have a conversation with him which was daunting that I might look a little differrent and feel differrent ( gaping perineum and look like I'm about to crown a newborn on a bad day ).
It was ok !

Now I'm going away for a week with him .
Am prob not going to be able to go for a no. 2 because I'll be too conscious of him being around and that means .... Well not much fun.

Anyway I've asked my GP for a referral to reschedule surgery which my consultant said he would do anytime .
I can't believe I'm actually excited about a major operation !
I cannot wait to be comfortable and have a normal looking vagina .
I can't imagine being able to relax in bed with my new man and really enjoy penetrative sex again.
My consultant said after surgery orgasms can be less intense ect .... Any comments or advise welcome .
Any idea how long I'll have to stay in hospital ?

TeeGee1 Tue 28-Jul-15 08:43:59

Newcomer here, not sure if this thread is still active...

15 months post and 3 months pregnant. aappointment today with consultant to try to push for an elcs.

was sewn up way too tight, full of scar tissue and pain, think my bits didn't go back upwards so there's not much height in there. told 2nd degree but think rectocele which was dismissed by acrap gp, and also had gas come though vag which was worrying.

can't get clean with no.2. when I do there's mess later somehow, also gets in the front, again worrying. bleed almost every time. have fissures and lovely hemorrhoids from the birth.other times it gathers at the exit I crown but it's too big to get out, I suspect rectocele because of this diversion at the exit. I have to manually get it out. needless to say I am stay at home mum for now.

when I do rejoin society I will need a disabled toilet key card, that's for sure...

when I explained this to a bitch mw about why I want a cesarean, she told me there are other options. "Like a colostomy bag, you mean?"

Wish me luck. I'll keep you posted, ragged thread!

sksk Thu 23-Jul-15 22:45:13

There isn't anything more that can be done. Maybe pelvic floor machine or sacral nerve stimulation but that won't work miracles- maybe improve things a tiny bit more. I might ask about injections for perineum but maybe a few months down the line. Glad you're better, craving cake- I remember you were expecting when I was a few months post partum. Thanks, marzipan. It will be elcs if I have any more.

Marzipanfiend Thu 23-Jul-15 18:34:04

Just wiping really - hard to get clean. No pain just discomfort/itch if I overwipe! Glad you able to accept it cravingcake - it's still hard that no one talks about it.

cravingcake Thu 23-Jul-15 17:15:19

Marzipan, what issues are you having?

cravingcake Thu 23-Jul-15 17:09:25

Sksk that's very similar issues to what I had. I am pleased to say that mostly now since surgery the wiping issues and general pain have gone but some days I will be in pain again and I'm starting to notice a pattern in that it is always worst before my period.

cravingcake Thu 23-Jul-15 17:04:34

I still have issues, and I'm coming up almost 4 years down the line (but have had a second baby & prolapse surgery in between). Don't think it will ever be what it was but I'm able to accept the 'new' me.

Marzipanfiend Wed 22-Jul-15 21:30:23

Ps cravingcake how are you doing?

Marzipanfiend Wed 22-Jul-15 21:28:45

Sorry to hear that sksk. Have they discharged you or do they plan to try anything else? I can't remember if you planned to have any more children.... My consultant said they would recommend waiting til I was done if I had wanted to pursue any further surgery. It's tough to accept when there are things that may not go away - I try not to think about it but that may not be the best strategy!

sksk Wed 22-Jul-15 20:25:56

Still the wiping issue and generally sore down there. I've had Physio follow up, endo anal scans etc . Could be much worse but I know the damage that has been done.

Marzipanfiend Wed 22-Jul-15 19:21:20

Only mild things that I ve forgotten aren't normal now! Starting to think about getting pregnant again though so will be back here for natural birth vs c section advice when it happens! How are you getting on sksk - still something bothering you?

sksk Wed 22-Jul-15 17:13:08

I was wondering if this thread had disappeared! Anyone else having issues 2 years on?

Marzipanfiend Mon 20-Jul-15 12:09:48

Still checking in....

cravingcake Mon 20-Jul-15 11:30:03

Bumping this thread back into existence, it would seem there are a lot of new Raggedies needing somewhere we can all support and help each other get through what really can be a tough time.

Allfallingdown Sat 18-Jul-15 16:39:44

Hi everyone..

Just wondering if this thread is still active? If so I'll do my post but wanted to check beforehand!!

Thanks smile

yellowcurtains Fri 26-Jun-15 23:12:12

Thank you mother puffin. She's actually a child, and not given birth. I did have another thread, but not had many responses. I was trying to find out what prolapse feels like to see if it matched what she described. She's not in serious pain, but does have low-level pain, and discomfort, and has done for a fortnight now.

Motherpuffin Fri 26-Jun-15 23:01:03

Yellowcurtains I'm sorry your DD is suffering, I had a similar feeling after having my daughter. If she suffered internal tears during birth the stingy pain could be scar tissue that's 'proud' and not healing properly. I had it and it stings like hell, and weeps if that sounds similar? They did an internal op to confirm the problem and fixed it at the same time. I didn't have a prolapse so not able to comment I'm afraid. Wishing her all the best x

yellowcurtains Sun 21-Jun-15 15:57:37

Hi, is anyone still around on here?
My question is - what does a prolapse feel like? i.e. how does one know if one has one?
Does the part of the uterus or bladder have nerves in, and is there pain with a prolapse?
I am worried about my DD at present, who says something odd has happened to her insides. She has a stingy pain inside her vagina.
Thanks.

Greenwichgirls Tue 02-Jun-15 23:45:27

Hi,
We are a group of 3rd year midwifery students preparing for a presentation in a couple of weeks on the topic of -

'Comparing the incidence of obstetric fistulas in Sub Saharan Africa to the UK'.

We are trying to understand the rates of obstetric fistulas here in the UK, the background of what causes these fistulas, how they were repaired, the outcome and the support you received. In order to collect this information I have devised the attached survey which should only take a couple of minutes to complete.

I understand this is a difficult topic but your input would help us to educate other Midwifery students about the incidence and causes of obstetric fistulas in the UK. Unfortunately there was a limit of 10 questions in surveymonkey - so please add anything else you feel relevant after Question 10.

Thanks in advance and we appreciate your time.

www.surveymonkey.com/s/3JLZDPZ

pinguina16 Mon 01-Jun-15 21:49:12

Hi Elsie88,

I had 2 failed ventouse followed by episiotomy and forceps + massive PPH. I was faecal incontinent for 5/6 days (from day 6 till day 10/11 after birth) and experienced urgency (needing to go straight away) for 3 weeks maybe. And urgent for 4/5 months but much less urgent but not quite normal yet.

Anyway. I told MW on day 6. She referred me to women's health physio. Appointment took place on week 4. Diagnosis: bladder and uterus prolapse (couldn't walk 1/2 a mile for 3 months) and probable unrepaired 3d tear.

Rectal scan took place on month 3. At that time they confirmed 3d degree tear. However when I saw the colorectal surgeon at 6months, he said it was a 2d degree tear (still unrepaired though).

Fast forward 16 months (now), after doing intensive physio for around 6 months (at first, standard pelvic floor exercises 5/6 times a day [took an hour every day] then physio started changing exercises slightly and physio appointments every other week (from 3 to 6 months PP sometimes every 3/4 weeks)), I am 95% back to normal regarding controlling bowel movement. I can still get the odd wind I can't control and if/when I have diarrhea, it is more urgent than it used to be but I consciously squeeze to make sure I get to the toilet on time.

I last saw the colorectal surgeons a few weeks ago. Long term they don't know. They have older women who have not had children who have problems and they wouldn't know if a woman had PP issues but then was ok long term because these women don't come back. They told me that if I was going to have problems again, it would be in 10/15 years time and that I would need at least physio again. But they also stressed that I might never need to see them again. I have to add I won't be having anymore children (long list of reasons, top of the list: I can't manage one child! Never mind 2!). If I wanted another child, one colorectal surgeon pointed at ELCS and another one thought I could have another vaginal delivery, adding I had a 5% increase risk of a severe tear second time. My thoughts: just for the coccyx pain I suffered and still suffer (7 months in agony, 1 year without driving), no way I'd choose a vaginal delivery again.

Small note on prolapse. I can't jump nor run anymore (not even for a bus). I'm only saying this so you can measure where you are (prolapse can vary hugely).

I hope this is helpful. My advice: do pelvic floor exercises religiously and ask to see a woman's health physio.

passmethewineplease Tue 12-May-15 12:25:51

Just bumping this thread up...

I had my 3rd dc 6.5 months ago and occasionally I'm sure I pass wind out of my vagina. blush It isn't odourless which has lead me to worry.

Can anyone shed any light? Thanks in advance.

Motherpuffin Wed 11-Mar-15 23:24:08

I'm so sorry you're going through this, it really isn't fair. I remember being stuck at home and just wanting to be out and about and the best mum possible. Take it easy while they're investigating, and don't put too much pressure on yourself as its tiring waiting for appointments and taking in new information. I had granulation tissue removed internally as it was causing me a lot of pain, and everything downstairs refashioned! (lucky me smile) you will get better and the time you're spending now with your little one is really precious, so don't worry if you're not at the park every day, time at home is just as good. Hope all goes well x

Elsie88 Sat 07-Mar-15 20:35:14

Hi Motherpuffin,
Thanks so much for your reply. If you don't mind me asking, what ops did you have?
I'm feeling really anxious about everything and just confused - I had no idea that this could happen from giving birth! I go from feeling hopeful that this will go away to feeling absolute despair that I will be this way forever! Just wish I could get out and about and show my beautiful little boy off, it's not fair sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now