Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

**Tamoxifen** the 30th thread !

(997 Posts)

Am wheeling the trolley over....

jchocchip Sat 24-Nov-12 20:54:58

Miserable here too today ned Was dry this morning but so frosty the paths were slippy and I put in a slower time than I would have liked. Leaves the pb chasing for next week... At least the run means I have calories to spare today <boring diet emoticon> dh ran this morning too then went to work and the numbers he has to send to his boss suffered a bit in the rain.
Early night tonight, cat has been dozing building his strength for an early start.

Gigondas Sat 24-Nov-12 20:56:06

jchoc well done on run especially if anything like as rubbish as was here.

turning is dh in Stanmore? If so the physios there should know better.

Birdland Sat 24-Nov-12 21:38:20

Smee-no more nodes to be taken as I had Sentinel Node op in Sept and they were ok.

I'm glad to hear that post op is not too bad. Thanks for all your advice-its been so reassuring.

smee Sat 24-Nov-12 21:58:39

Birdland, great that you don't have the nodes to go too, as that's a bigger op. Ask anything you want about mastectomy. I've had two now, so should have some sort of an answer for you. grin

amberlight Sat 24-Nov-12 22:08:56

Lomaamina, welcome. Sorry you're here with us, but hopefully (as other say) we can be a support.
Your starting odds are 85% of it being something readily treatable, which is actually pretty darned good. If that helps at all. And that's on the old data, not on the new data with the new chemotherapy sorts and the new radiotherapy types.
Hugs/ brew available.

Hi all. Hugs and brew for you too.

Gigondas Sun 25-Nov-12 08:25:10

Can use that brew amber as mini gig up a few times in the night with a cold.

Think today may be quiet. Anyone doing anything exciting?

nothing exciting happening here- cleaning, applying the clippers to dh's hsir and ironing, possibly might bake a cake.

poor mini gig and gig for being disturbed by cold sad

topsyturner Sun 25-Nov-12 10:29:01

Yawn ...
Morning All !
Just up , couldn't sleep last night . Well I obviously did eventually grin

Very foggy here .
Off to grannys in an hour , so I really shouldn't be mucking about on the Internet grin

Hope you are all well today , hugs to our newbies and hand holding along the way .

I had a mastectomy and it was surprisingly easy to get through .
The GA takes it out of you a fair bit , but the actual surgery was ok .

Copthallresident Sun 25-Nov-12 12:16:38

I'm utterly and completely exhausted after a completely mad three days, especially Friday night when I managed three different social events, hurtling across London from one to another! I may actually have to go back to bed having waved off the last of the weekend guests but I thought I'd just stop by and wave to everyone and offer up alcohol soaking up bacon buttys, not to mention a very nice Betty's stem ginger cake they left as a thank you

Loma I was diagnosed in ancient times, August 2001, and given some really unacceptable statistics about my chances, but there is light at the end of the tunnel, and the Tamoxifen. I totally understand about keeping it private to cope, I hid away whilst coming to terms with it, because I didn't feel I could hold it together if I was with someone who cared. I remember one day venturing out the door to get something and bumping into one of my closest friends and becoming a blubbering mess which I hated. However as others have said it is the uncertainty that is worst, once you know what you are facing you can get on with accepting it and doing whatever you have to do.

My oldest daughter was an old for her age 9 and already a Scientist in the making so we were totally open about my dx and discussed it all in detail. We also had the baggage that my closest friend had recently died of Bowel Cancer, after a short and brutal illness, her DCs had practically lived with us throughout so we felt it was vital that we gave her the facts to make sure she was very clear that this was different. Indeed her husband came and took my DDs out with his DCs to make sure they all understood that. She now says she is really grateful that we were so open about it because it gave her something rational to focus on rather than allowing irrational fears to build. She still has issues with it though, from the point of view that she learned so young that she couldn't have total confidence that her parents were always going to be there.

Birdland The mastectomy in physical terms is really no big deal, in fact an American friends actually had it as day surgery. There's no muscle damaged so it is more that it stings than is actually painful. I had pethidine immediately after but when they offered me some the next day I really didn't feel I needed it (why on earth did I refuse FREE legal drugs??) . I had had a lumpectomy three days earlier as well but it still didn't take long to recover. The worst thing for me was the drains but they go after three days. The main thing is not to stubbornly go driving your DCs around straight after as you end up having to have more drains and freezing up your shoulder....

gigs the ironman contact sounds interesting, go for it. Exercise was really important to me during my recovery, My friends and I had had a vision whilst we were going through chemo, that we would one day stand on top of a mountain together feeling healthy and fit again, and we did, and still have an annual hiking weekend.

smee Sun 25-Nov-12 19:49:22

Just nipping in to wise Looamina huge vibes of good luck for scan results tomorrow. Really hope you get the best news possible. smile

MAS, have you started taking your next lot of tablets yet, or is it tomorrow?

Grim day again here. Hope nobody's flooded. I haven't been nearly as energetic as Copthall! grin

Turningupsidedown Sun 25-Nov-12 21:28:04

Hello All

Looamina very good luck for tomorrow. There is a website for teenagers with a parent with cancer, not sure if it has already been mentioned. My DD has been looking at it, it is here if you want to take a look in case you think it might be helpful for your DS

I wish the rain would stop, it is pouring here again, we have had to put buckets all over our conservatory as it seems to be leaking in about four places and the roads on the way to the hospital are flooded too - passable but not fun.

DH needs those healing vibes you are sending. They had him sitting and dangling his leg yesterday but he got a bleed last night and now there is a patch which is pale and another that looks bruised on the transplanted area, so the circulation is not quite right. Back on keeping it up at all times and waiting for docs to look in the morning - they might need to use leeches apparantly! We are both a bit anxious tonight hoping is better news tomorrow.

Copthall I think it was you who had the friend who's surgeon had a nice tea break during her surgery. I told DH about what you said and he is very amused at the thought of them all sat around him with cups of tea, passing the around the cake! He keeps teasing the nurse who was in theatre.

Topsy I love beer festivals, we get a good one here every year I go for the ciders and perrys. DH was trying to imagine his water was beer yesterday while watching the rugby

Gig DH is in Nottingham City which deals with all sarcoma surgeries for the East Midlands. That is amazing you have the same kind. Given that sarcomas account for less than 1% of all cancers and there are loads of subtypes thats quite a coincidence really. Hoping physio thing was just a blip due to time pressure and they will be better this week.

Hope everyone is dry tonight and not getting flooded out.

yes, lots of luck for tomorrow lomaamina
smee started tablets yesterday - so far so good, hands still sore from previous round though.
Have made a very fudgy choc cake- pics on fb- involved lots of guesswork with the oven as the thermostat is buggered- but it turned out ok...made a huge mess in the kitchen as usual.

smee Sun 25-Nov-12 23:04:28

MAS, I so hope that cream works then. Cake sounds yum. I had mulled wine today. We went to a friend's Open Studio and it would have been rude to refuse. grin

am applying Aveeno and everything else with much vigour !
Open studio sounds fun - did you buy anything ?

topsyturner Mon 26-Nov-12 08:08:55

Just popping on to wish iomaamia lots of positive thoughts for today .
Let us know how it all goes ?

Mas take care of those hands .
Is it tablet starting day today ?
<holds out plate for cake>

Bought myself a new dress yesterday <bad bad topsy >
Lovely bright blue cable knit .
Have decided I wear live in jeans too much , so next month I shall be doing Dress-cember .
I shall try to wear a dress every day !

Big hugs to all who need it today .
Any other appointments this week ?

topsyturner Mon 26-Nov-12 08:10:18

Healing vibes to Mr Turning in bucket loads .
Hope he's had a better night and his wound is improving .

smee Mon 26-Nov-12 09:48:29

MAS, I didn't buy, though was v.tempted. One I wanted was £200, which is reasonable but a bit too much for me. Do hands feel like they like Aveeno?

Are you wearing your new dress Topsy? Like the sound of Dress-cember. Will all outfits have a festive theme? grin

iomaamia, thinking of you. Hope appt's as good as it can be. x

Got up early to finish off some work, so have sent it now, means am open to distraction. brew anyone? smile

Gigondas Mon 26-Nov-12 10:14:37

Oh mulled wine smee that means it is Xmas season.

I like the dressember idea topsy - I may join you as have lots of stuff in cupboard .

turning sending you and dh love and healing thoughts. I well remember the fretting about skin (I had large lump removed so were worried skin would die). Hope he gets some nicer physio today. It is spooky but sort of nice to find out someone else who has this weird disease . there was hardly anyone else when I was in hospital- had my op privately by one of stanmore surgeons then went to Uclh as that or the marsden where frankwippery!has her treatment.

The twitter mans name is Brian baines- there is something on him on the livestrong site. Tell dh to look there as that had lots on getting fit with /after cancer treatment . Am waiting for him to accept my follow so can chat.

Coffee with friend (which am late for blush) then first appt at physio dr later .

Gigondas Mon 26-Nov-12 10:15:17

Yes mas lots of aveeno and that yummy cake you made today sounds a good plan.

Aveeno applied ! Seems nice - hands not looking any different yet but will keep slapping it on - tablets taken (day 3) - cake later !
Am just fiddling around with a few bits of my own work to keep me occupied- waiting for neighbour to send me stuff for next picture. Am tempted at some point to head out to White Stuff with my birthday voucher...

ooh,-hope first physio goes well gig !
Dress sounds nice topsy - am hopeless at dresses.

smee Mon 26-Nov-12 10:27:10

Head out now, MAS. You have a voucher and you deserve treats. smile

How's the leg, Gig? Still in pain? Hope it's eased.

Gigondas Mon 26-Nov-12 11:08:51

It has eased a bit- more stiff and cramps which can make sleeping tricky.

smee Mon 26-Nov-12 11:20:30

Last thing you need, especially as you've got the mini-gigs too. When does physio start? Will that make a massive difference? Where are you up to with your Christening planning? Is it all sorted?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now