Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

**Tamoxifen** the 30th thread !

(997 Posts)

Am wheeling the trolley over....

Copthallresident Mon 19-Nov-12 23:22:50

Turning the post operative care after you have had certain types of reconstruction also involves being kept warm to help dilate blood vessels etc. It can make you very sweaty and smelly so you might think about flannels to wash under armpits and whatever smellys they allow? I hope it all goes well

turning loads of good luck to dh for tomorrow- wil be thinking of him and sending good vibes your way.
Welcome NoKnown - we;'re holding your hand smile

topsyturner Tue 20-Nov-12 07:55:21

Morning All

Just a quickie as have now managed to infect DS with my bug !

Just wanted to send good luck vibes to Gigs for your results today xxx

Will come back and catch up properly later

JustFabulous Tue 20-Nov-12 08:02:18

<sneaks in>

Hi everyone, hope everyone is doing okay. I've been overwhelmed in RL so not been on this thread.

Some of you may remember the horrible appointment I had with the woman in the breast clinic who said she would refer me but clearly didn't want too. She could reassure me I was fine and as I had a mammogram last year and all was well then I was fine now hmm. Well, nothing came so I rang. Referral not done angry. Eventually the fourth person I spoke too said she would sort it and I am going today for my mammogram. I'm churned up and scared plus worried they will ask for my symptoms and think I am wasting their time. I told 2 friends and neither have texted to say anything and tbh I am quite hurt by that. One has loads going on though and one is self-obsorbed at the moment.

Quick pop on to wish gigs good luck today. Will be thinking of you.

Good luck to turnings DH. Hope the op goes well and he recovers quickly.

<<holds out hand to noknown>> I think you are right to push for referral even if only to ease your mind.

Good luck today justfab. Perhaps your friends will text after the mammogram. A friend of mine was away to the breast clinic yesterday (thankfully all ok) but I text her last week to wish her all the best and let her know I was thinking of her but I didn't text her yesterday until after I knew she had been as I didn't want her to think she should be really worried iykwim.

Waves to everyone else. Glad you are feeling better topsy. Hopefully you haven't infected the household.

Copthallresident Tue 20-Nov-12 09:01:26

Morning! I have blueberry muffins I made for DD this morning (adjusts domestic goddess halo) (wonders if calcium and vitamins of blueberry muffins on one dank November morning is really going to make the difference to 16 year old DD's chances of not getting BC, when she is off to uni soon where like her sister she will eat rubbish and undo all the good I did with all those years of organic food)

NoKnownAllergies that really does sound like mastitis, it may need different antibiotics? stronger antibiotics? I actually got it as a result of giving up with one of my DDs.

gigs turning Justfab thinking of you, hope it goes well

Mas Hope you are feeling better today.

Waves to everyone else and hopes all bugs, rashes, soreness etc are on the mend

jchocchip Tue 20-Nov-12 09:07:29

Good luck everyone for tests and results today. will look for some chocolate on the way to work (not christmas)! Wish we had a Waitrose nearby, last weekend I got some Lindt Lindor sticks and organic marsepan coated with dark choc...
Have s188 again union meeting today. Not sure I can deal with the stress - our dept to lose 13 ftes, so have applied for a new job...

JustFabulous Tue 20-Nov-12 09:30:15

Thanks all smile.

I am so worried and that is annoying me as I actually think I am okay. I am having an easy day. Just been and bought food for the piggies and wild birds and some nice chocolate as a tread - and boost - later.

Thinking of everyone else.

smee Tue 20-Nov-12 09:38:57

Nipping in to wish Gig huge amounts of good vibes for later. Seems odd to be hoping it's rads damage, but still. Will be thinking of you xx smile

You too, Turning. I hope the hospital are utterly lovely and that your DH is feeling okay. Probably feel lots better after the op's done, as at least that's something ticked off your list. Let us know how you are when you can. smile

Fab, of course we remember you! Good on you for pushing for mammo. Doesn't matter what the staff think, you need to be thorough, so are doing the right thing.I'd bet your friends will be in touch. I found quite a few of mine just never knew what to say. confused x

Jane, work sound horrendous. What sort of a chance have you of getting the new job? Horrible to be so uncertain. sad

Ned, Gracie, how's the itching and skin today?? Still getting better I hope.

Topsy, so what is it a 24 hour sort of thing? Sounds grim.

Waving to all others. Too many to post to, but MAS, don't go working too hard. You neither Sometimes.

Wonder how Herrena's mother's getting on. Are you out there, Herrena? Hope all's not too bad and she's coping.

hugs for jane and lots of luck to gig and to fab xxxx

Gigondas Tue 20-Nov-12 12:15:14

Thanks for good wishes- on way to appt and quite nervous . This may explain why have started a disagreement on another thread smile.

Back later to update and post properly.

smee Tue 20-Nov-12 12:16:01

Go Gig. Hugs from me. xx smile

Hope you are ok gig, thinking of you x

Wanted to let you guys know that your positive vibes all worked and I got the job! Starts after Xmas, will be slightly less than full time, so should help with ds's appts and such.

Am putting to chocolate cake on the FBI trolley, plumping up the cushions,and putting a brew on. Maybe some pretty flowers too, to make us all feel better on a rainy windy day.

Birdland Tue 20-Nov-12 12:47:46

Hi all, I thought I'd check back in (thanks Smee!) for some advice as my chemo drug has just changed to Taxotere.

I have a terrible sore throat and a snow blindingly white tongue-I suspect I have thrush. Any advice on how to deal with it would be gratefully received.

Mas, I went to the Haven last week and a lady there strongly recommended L-Glutamine to avoid stomach problems and peripheral neuropathy (though not sure this applies to you). I've been taking about 6 g a day and its worth researching.

Also pineapple is ok-for me it cuts through the general tastelessness of food (marmite also good as is lemon sanpellegrino).

x

well done sparkle - clever thing !!!!!!!!! xxx
and thanks for that birdland v sorry to hear about poss. thrush,poor love

NedSchneebly Tue 20-Nov-12 14:11:09

birdland you need to get some systemic thrush stuff - ask GP for fluconazole. I had it twice on Taxotere and was told that mouthwash etc was not good enough. Take tablets and all will be well. Watch that sore throat and your temperature like a hawk - I ended up neutropenic on all three of my Taxotere cycles, and admitted to hospital twice. Any sign of infection/ raised temperature, get thee to a doctor posthaste. Might be worth getting throat checked out? Which day are you in your cycle?

YAY FOR SPARKLE ! Am thrilled for you, lovely, talented lady! More exciting details of lovely shiny new job?

gigs thinking of you, love x x x

Got to run - have got medical this afternoon re sickness benefits. hmm I hope they will realise that they are wasting their time, as I have a job to go back to and only need sickness benefits to tide me over til Christmas.

Sometimesiwonder Tue 20-Nov-12 15:20:43

Hello all!

Just had to break radio silence to add my congratulations to Sparkles - you clever thing, how brilliant smile

Reaching out hands to hold for all who need them. x

Gigondas Tue 20-Nov-12 15:25:48

gringrin sparkle that Is great news.

And grin as scan showed post op /post rads scarring so physio to help recommended . And obs was getting better about communication as put me out my misery as soon as I walked in the room.

So wine for me and anyone else.
Waves to justfab and hope today ok. ned eye roll about medical but hope it is ok. jchoc sounds very stressful.

topsy yuck about spread of bug- you feeling a bit better?

KurriKurri Tue 20-Nov-12 15:39:47

Quick dash in as not much time today, but wanted to say

hooray and grin for Gig, - that's great (I know nasties were unlikely, but scans a re always scary! so nice to get that out of the way)

And congratulations to Sparkle - you clever old thing, well done smile

waving and sending smooches to all, will try to catch up properly tomorrow.

Special wave to the new people (turning and allergies)

And welcome back Fab (good luck for mammo) and Birdland - ned is absolutely right - you need fluconazole tablets for the thrush (but also get them to check in your throat, because you can get ulcers in there too - like mouth ulcers but in your throat, - they might give you something to gargle with) and yes definitely if you feel at all poorly or get a temp. ring your unit/onc ward asap and get advice - be prepared to go in if you have a temperature. - Hope you feel better soon smile

topsyturner Tue 20-Nov-12 15:50:04

Big smooches to Gigs and Sparkles
Brilliant news for both of you !!!

Feeling a bit more human today .
Don't appear to need the cork anymore ...
grin

smee Tue 20-Nov-12 16:12:07

Waving to Birdland. Mouth sounds grim. I didn't get thrush, but I did get the ulcers. Ned's advice v.sound. How does the rest of you feel? Are the bone aches kicking in too, or are you not too bad.

Sparkles, yay, you are clever!! Is new job exciting?? Exciting just to be back at work, am sure, but hope it's something you're looking forward to doing. smile

Gig, yay in every sense!! How utterly fab. You must feel v.relieved. Let's hope for a dishy physio. That always helps. grin

Fab, really hope mammo's okay. Come back and tell us when you can. x

Ned hope medical wasn't too annoying. Those benefit things have a tendency to be ridiculous, so hope yours weren't.

Topsy, in case you're tempted to say, we really don't want to know what you're going to do with the cork.. grin

JustFabulous Tue 20-Nov-12 16:19:23

I'm back.

Ouch. It really hurt. I wish there was a better way of seeing what's what without squashing your breasts.

4 week wait now.

Oh, and I was sent to the wrong clinic due to the horrible "locum" I saw but they did me anyway.

Birdland Tue 20-Nov-12 16:19:47

Thanks mas, ned and kurri-I assumed that I'd just have to put up will it so will trot off to GP tomorrow after your advice.

My temp is ok (I'm on day 6) and I'm on white cell boosting injections so really hoping I won't get neutropenia.

I think its just an accumulation of things that makes chemo hard-particularly the loss of my taste buds (I'm such a foodie and sometimes reading this thread makes my mouth water -all the wanton talk about apple cakes and such like) x

Birdland Tue 20-Nov-12 16:23:04

Cross posted Smee-I've had the weirdest aching forehead and jaw but I seem to be getting progressively better today (helped by my mum providing endless hot water bottles)

smee Tue 20-Nov-12 16:29:21

Birdland, definitely go to the GP, or could you call your unit? Mine were great at sorting me. The mouth thing's horrid isn't it. I seem to remember looking at a glass of water and finding even that improbably. Also had a panic that my taste buds would never recover. They do though, I promise. Have you just got 2 to go now?? If so, not long to the end. smile

Fab, that's good that you're home. Four weeks is a v.long time to wait. Am a bit shocked it's that long. Mind you if they find something they don't keep you hanging around, so if you don't hear it's got to be good news. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now