Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any old prolapse! Uterus/womb prolapse, rectocele, cystocele, enterocele, urethrocele, incontinence, pelvic floor, anterior and posterior repair, TVT etc part 7

(1001 Posts)
gottagetthroughthis Fri 19-Oct-12 00:38:09

This is thread 7 of a long-running series of posts from ladies suffering from pelvic prolapses to support each other through the process of diagnosis, repair and recovery.

Here are the previous threads:
Thread 1
Thread 2
Thread 3
Thread 5
Thread 6

Info from BBC Health

What is a pelvic prolapse?

As the muscles, ligaments and supporting tissues in the pelvis become weaker, they are less able to hold in the organs of the pelvis such as the womb (uterus) or bladder.

Gravity pulls these organs down and, in the more severe cases, may appear through the entrance to the vagina.

A variety of problems can occur, depending on where the weakness lies and which organs are able to descend, but in every case there is some degree of prolapse of the vaginal wall, which begins to invert (rather like a sock turning inside out).
Prolapse of the womb or uterus is the most common prolapse, affecting as many as one in eight older women to some degree
Prolapse of the bladder, known as a cystocele, is less common.
Prolapse of the urethra (the tube that carries urine out of the bladder) is known as a urethrocele.
Prolapse of the intestines is quite rare, and known as an enterocele or rectocele.

Symptoms

Symptoms depend on which tissues descend, and how severe the prolapse is.

They may include:
A sense of heaviness or pressure in the pelvis.
The appearance of a bulge of tissue in the genital area, which can be quite alarming, and is often red and sore.
Urinary problems, such as having to urinate more frequently, feeling the need urgently, being incontinent (losing control of the bladder) or, conversely, being unable to pass urine when you need to.
Pain in the pelvis or lower back.
Sexual problems, including pain and decreased libido.
Constipation.
Vaginal discharge or bleeding.

Treatment and recovery

Once a prolapse has developed, surgery to fix the affected organs is usually the only way to cure it effectively.

However, another option is to use a device known as a vaginal ring pessary. This is rather like a contraceptive diaphragm or cervical cap. It's made of silicone or latex, and placed in the vagina to push back the prolapsed organs and hold them in place. Many women happily manage their prolapse this way.

Funmum05 Wed 13-Feb-13 18:06:31

Thanks losh and swisscottage for replying to me. God losh 5 weeks with out being able to drive would kill me. My nearest shop is 10miles away so really heavily on the car. I was thinking of moving in with my mum during the day for the 2nd week but any longer wouldn't work as hubby starts work at 6am so would have no way of getting down to her. We've looked for a cleaner but there's none that does this area (im in Ireland btw) and we've no space for an au pair. Can hardly fit ourselves in the house grin

I have to kids in school (age 7 and 5) and 2 babies at home (19 months and nearly 7 months) so lots of lifting of the babies.

I've been thinking none stop about the surgery and what it is exactly thats annoying me the most.

Swisscottage that bloating sounds awful. You would never think you would suffer bloating from that type of surgery.

Any way I had my follow up appointment today and things seem to have improved greatly in the 3 months. My rectocele has gone from a grade 3 to a grade 1 to 2. The split vaginal wall muscle has started to knit back together and all this is purely from doing my pelvic floor exercises. The gynie was thrilled with the work I've done on my pelvic floor and can't believe I've had 1 baby never mind 4 lol. My biggest issue really is the non existent perinium. My sphincter muscle is exposed and its really very delicate down there. Its that muscle that has been causing me the agitation and not the rectocele like I thought. Its also why I feel completely wide open and loose (its because I am wide open grin THe gynie said my perinium repair is very complex so has referred me to another collegue who is better equipped to deal with this type of repair as its not straight forward like a normal perinium repair. He reckons we should leave the rectocele alone as its not as bad and with the other repair done I should have very little if any symptoms. I have to say I came away from the appointment so up beat for a change. Also a perinium repair only has a 1 to 2 week recovery time instead of 6-12 weeks.

Its horrible to think that all of this would've been avoided if the bloody consultant stitched me up after my 2nd child when I suffered a 3rd degree tear (although consultant referred to it as a graze) Would hate to see with he constitutes as a tear.

That's good news Funmum - I was about to post and say that I wan't allowed to drive for 6 weeks following rectocele repair, which sounds like it would have been a nightmare for you (I only need to drive to get to work and I was signed off for 6 weeks anyway so it wasn't a problem for me).

Regarding the bloating - I didn't get any at all, or any constipation following my op. I did put on about 9lbs though through lack of activity. I thought you only got problems with bloating for laparoscopic procedures (because they use gas to inflate the area)? Both times I have had gynae ops there have been women on the same ward who had bloating after laparoscopic surgery. I wan't warned of it being a possibility either.

Tr0ubled Thu 14-Feb-13 15:21:56

funnum I had a perenium repair about 6 weeks after the birth of my firstborn. I didn't allow myself any recovery time, infact I left hospital on foot and hailed a taxi home! Within 10 days all my stitches had burst and the whole repair broke down. Please please, although I'm sure you'll be fine in 2 weeks, rest properly for at least 10 days; don't lift anything and just lie in bed. I wish I had as I'm sure I wouldn't be where I am now if that repair had healed properly.

Quick question to all those post op, how long did your surgery take?
When I was about to have my repairs before Xmas my surgeon told me it would be 2 hrs plus, but my new surgeon has suggested only up to an hour. I'm concerned he's not going to be doing the full repair. I'm meant to be having entrocele, rectocele, cystocele, and perenium repair. Seems alot to do in an hour.

cardamom how are you feeling hon?

Troubled - I don't really know how long mine took, I was supposed to be on the afternoon list but queuejumped when they found the person due in before me had drunk coffee after her cut off time, it was all a bit of a rush as I was still dressed when they told me I was going early, then when I woke up I was all woozy for a good while and didn't have a clue what the time was and didn't have a watch on obviously. That does sound like a lot to get through in an hour, but who knows? Could you ring his secretary and ask what you are listed for?

Which is all quite odd for me, I am one of those people who is always clock watching, am never without a watch, has clocks in every room.

MustTidyUpMustTidyUp Thu 14-Feb-13 17:15:20

Hi. I dipped into this thread before when I first started having problems and got some great advice. I wonder if anyone could help me again?
I have a (mild) Cystocele and a rectocele. I have been having physio for a few months and there is a good improvement in my pelvic floor strength. i I saw the consultant today and she discussed the option of having a posterior repair and perineorrhaphy but said it was not desperate to do it now but she would be happy to do it. I pressed her for what was the est option but she would not say. Who has experience of this? Was it successful? What is the recovery like?
TIA

edwinbear Thu 14-Feb-13 21:05:53

Evening all. Long term lurker on the thread, ever since my cystocele and rectocele were diagnosed after a difficult, messy, forceps birth with ds in August '09. I'm now 15 months pp after a wonderful, easy birth with dd (presumably due to the fact I no longer have a pelvic floor), and I'm ready to get my organs stitched back where they should be. Surgery date has just been confirmed for March 5th. To say I'm bricking it would be the understatement of the year. Looking forward to getting to know you all a bit better, even if it could be under better circumstances!

Musttidy - I suppose it is a balance, and depends what and how bad your symptoms are and how much problem they are in every day life. Assuming they are not greatly problematic you could decide to live with it for a while, but it could get worse then the repairs might become more urgent/serious. I was in a similar situation for years and wasn't offered surgery, my rectocele took a sudden turn for the worse last year and I had it repaired in September. Are you a private or NHS patient? If NHS there is always the worry that if you get discharged from gynae now you might have to really push to get referred again later on. If private obv that isn't a problem.

The op is a major one, recovery is along the lines of total rest for 2 weeks, then buidling up gradually to about 6 weeks, no driving for 4-6 weeks, no heavy lifting or anything properly strenous eg running till about 12 weeks, anything from 4-12 weeks off work depending on the nature of the job. Mine has been successful and I'm glad I had it done, but no getting away from the fact that it is amajor disruption to normal life.

Edwin hello, nerves are very normal, it is a big event. Ask away if you have any specific questions.

MustTidyUpMustTidyUp Thu 14-Feb-13 22:32:21

Thankyou for your reply whoknows. That sounds like an awful lot of recovery time - the consultant said it would be a day case so I had no idea that it would take that long - a few days off my feet and no strenuous exercise for 6 weeks. Am I being naive or are there degrees of severity? In terms if how it impacts my life I suppose I just have to be careful - dont run too far / bounce too much but I'm not in any pain, just a little uncomfortable. I do worry about it getting worse though. Am an NHS patient btw. The doctor I saw today I know is the top dog around here and I also know (through bitter experience with childbirth) that she is very anti- intervention and likes nature to take its course so I expected her to send me off to live with it, so it was a bit of a shocker when she offered the surgery (she also specified to the day surgery team that she wanted to do it herself). My children are all very young (3 under 6) so I need to consider whether I can manage, although I am lucky to have lots of family support. DM and DH think I should get it over with whilst I'm (relatively) young and fit, I am just a bit worried about it all.

Well, I've been posting on here regularly for about 9 months and I would say that what I have quoted is not only my experience but fairly typical of what other posters have experienced. Age does seem to make a difference, it seems to me that younger women do recover faster (again, anecdotally from knowledge of other posters on the thread). After I was put on the waiting list for surgery last year my symptoms improved a lot and I did wonder whether I was doing the right thing, but the last couple of weeks beforehand it got much worse again and I was glad to have had it done. What I would say is that whatever symptoms you have now are only likely to get worse in the long term, not better. On the other hand it might be easier when your DCs are a bit older (mine were 6 and 8 so both at school). It's a hard decision.

swisscottage Fri 15-Feb-13 09:10:13

My op took 3 1/2 hours, laparoscopic - hysterectomy, cystocele, rectocele repair TVT so bloating was due to them pumping gas in my abdomen. It was sooo painful after the op, no one warned me the gas could cause so much pain! I took it very easy for 6 weeks, ie no hoovering, just minor stuff but kept walking the dog around the local road. I still don't lift anything really heavy as I just don't want to do any damage.

SlaveToTwoTeens Fri 15-Feb-13 11:54:03

Hi
I am new to Mumsnet having found this thread by googling issues following a rectocele repair. I had a repair privately on 2nd Feb, so nearly two weeks ago.
I did almost nothing for the first week, spending most of the time in bed, but have started being more active this week. The physio I saw before discharge suggested I walk daily for 30-60mins from the 2nd week, so I did go for a slow walk yesterday for about 30 mins. I haven't done any lifting and my husband has been doing most of the housework. I had filled the freezer full of lasagnes, cottage pies etc before the op, so cooking has been minimal. I haven't experienced much pain and had thought I was recovering well up till this morning. I went to the toilet first thing and as I wiped myself I noticed a little lump of what looked like skin or fatty tissue on the toilet roll. It was a little bit bloody and I am a bit worried about what it could be or where it came from. Has this happened to anyone else? I am considering phoning the hospital, being private the consultant only has a list every other Saturday so should be there tomorrow. I don't want to bother him if it's just a normal part of healing though.
I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks thanks

Dahlialover Fri 15-Feb-13 14:47:10

Slave - I would ask whilst you have the chance.

2 weeks was when bits of stitches came out with me (not very much though) and I had an infection (lots of wet discharge, pink/bloody, smell of old urinals (yuck))

I had a very straightforward rectocele repair and rebuild of perineum and I was out for about 50 minutes.

I had a lot of achy pain and swelling in the derriere for the first day or so (had codeine), and took my paracetamol and ibuprofen regurlarly for the first week. Staying upright and sitting at the computer for more than a few minutes caused a feeling of pressure in the pelvis and tiredness, so I had to lie down after doing anything - probably the swelling in tissues after the op. This improved over the second week. I had a pile of pillows and cushions and blankets on the sofa and lots of dvds to watch. Daytime tv is dismal, although I did enjoy the 15min meals.

The third week I was feeling ok, but I had an infection and went back to lying down regularly and taking it a bit easier, even though I was feeling better. The 4th week, I started going back to my normal activities (not dance), short occasional drives. I needed to keep drinking as I noticed my urine was darker (probably tissues mending and bruising going). Also, sitting for any length of time was uncomfortable (but not hurty)

I have had a go at a gentle dance class and been signed off. I will do more walks over half term, then gradually get back to normal activitity. I still have to see the physio at 6 weeks.

Nannasylv Fri 15-Feb-13 17:05:40

Sorry to be a sporadic poster, but I need your help. I had an appointment to see a Mr Lindsay, at Oxford, but it's been cancelled due to the "Lavender Statement", which is apparently a prioritisation list for surgeries which can be performed on the NHS. Rectocele and Intussception has now been moved below the line, and must now be paid for privately. Is this the case across the country? I'm steaming mad, as it's not my fault it took them 17 years to diagnose!

MustTidyUpMustTidyUp Fri 15-Feb-13 17:22:53

Must be different in different PCTs as I was offered a rectocele repair yesterday - have been umm ing and ah ing about whether to go ahead - another reason to do so I suppose incase they don't offer it at a later date.
Thanks for your info* dahlia* - that sounds like what I need to have done and think that might be manageable. Am erring on the side of yes now.

Nannasylv Fri 15-Feb-13 17:32:27

Anyone know which authorities still do it on the NHS?

wouldratherbeskiing Fri 15-Feb-13 18:24:12

Nannysylv - so sorry to hear this, especially all you've gone through. I think Bournemouth are still ok. The lady in the bed next to me had been referred from Devizes to my consultant James Barmforth, Bournemouth on the NHS. He's given me my body and peace of mind back. Good luck. X

I had mine done NHS at Basingstoke last Sept Nanna - Mr Sayer.

Bladderama Fri 15-Feb-13 18:57:15

Oh Nanasylv that is terrible how utterly frustrating for you sad
Sorry but I do not know if they offer repairs on the NHS in my health authority.

Slave I would contact your cons tomorrow if you have any concerns I had my repair on the 4th Feb and am noticing stitches starting to come away.

Still exhausted here but feeling positive x

Yellowhorse Fri 15-Feb-13 19:11:39

Nanny , I had mine on Nhs, in buckinghamshire, four weeks go. I didn't have intusseption,though,but had bladder,bowel and vagina all hitched up or put back in place.. Try Mr Currie. I don't know if he can do that-is it Bowel? My Horse had that,and they removed alot of his bowel! He was fine after though.

Yellowhorse Fri 15-Feb-13 19:12:38

Meant I don't know if mr currie does intusseption.

Yes, should add Mr Sayer is uro-gynae, I had rectocele done but have had not rectal prolapse. Good luck with finding someone who can do it Nanna

Slave - I would check as well, maybe you could speak to one of the nurses on your ward?

SlaveToTwoTeens Fri 15-Feb-13 19:46:21

Thanks for the advice ladies! Since I posted earlier, I have had one of my stitches come out and some bleeding. I phoned the ward and was told to go and put my feet up and do nothing for 24 hours. If I have more 'significant' bleeding I'm to ring back and may be asked to go in to see the consultant tomorrow.
I must say, reading through these threads has been a great help. So, thank you all!

mangledmess Fri 15-Feb-13 20:08:56

Just reporting my good news. Ive been to see a private consultant today and he has agreed to see me as his patient on the NHS. Bad news is that i have to do all the tests again so he can see what is wrong and if he can help.

nannasyl I read about intussusception now being on the low priority list for NHS and my bets are if one PCT lists it they will all follow suit. I was furious when I read the list. You have me deepest sympathy for coping with this for so many years. I have both of the prolapses what you have aswell as bladder and urethra and I am not prepared to carry on with this as long as you have. Life is not worth living if this is the best any Dr or surgeon can offer me. Out of interest do you know the cost of private surgery for intus and rectocele please? Stay strong and I really hope someone fixes you x

Happy healing everyone and those waiting I hope it is real soon x

Bladderama Fri 15-Feb-13 20:48:38

Mangled so pleased to hear that you have a consultant that is helping you and as an NHS patient too, what NHS trust is that with? Hopefully one near nanaslyv.

Most repairs cost around 7k when done privately.

MustTidyUpMustTidyUp Fri 15-Feb-13 21:33:18

My PCT is Eastern and Coastal kent so near to you?

This thread is not accepting new messages.