Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any old prolapse! Uterus/womb prolapse, rectocele, cystocele, enterocele, urethrocele, incontinence, pelvic floor, anterior and posterior repair, TVT etc part 7

(1001 Posts)
gottagetthroughthis Fri 19-Oct-12 00:38:09

This is thread 7 of a long-running series of posts from ladies suffering from pelvic prolapses to support each other through the process of diagnosis, repair and recovery.

Here are the previous threads:
Thread 1
Thread 2
Thread 3
Thread 5
Thread 6

Info from BBC Health

What is a pelvic prolapse?

As the muscles, ligaments and supporting tissues in the pelvis become weaker, they are less able to hold in the organs of the pelvis such as the womb (uterus) or bladder.

Gravity pulls these organs down and, in the more severe cases, may appear through the entrance to the vagina.

A variety of problems can occur, depending on where the weakness lies and which organs are able to descend, but in every case there is some degree of prolapse of the vaginal wall, which begins to invert (rather like a sock turning inside out).
Prolapse of the womb or uterus is the most common prolapse, affecting as many as one in eight older women to some degree
Prolapse of the bladder, known as a cystocele, is less common.
Prolapse of the urethra (the tube that carries urine out of the bladder) is known as a urethrocele.
Prolapse of the intestines is quite rare, and known as an enterocele or rectocele.

Symptoms

Symptoms depend on which tissues descend, and how severe the prolapse is.

They may include:
A sense of heaviness or pressure in the pelvis.
The appearance of a bulge of tissue in the genital area, which can be quite alarming, and is often red and sore.
Urinary problems, such as having to urinate more frequently, feeling the need urgently, being incontinent (losing control of the bladder) or, conversely, being unable to pass urine when you need to.
Pain in the pelvis or lower back.
Sexual problems, including pain and decreased libido.
Constipation.
Vaginal discharge or bleeding.

Treatment and recovery

Once a prolapse has developed, surgery to fix the affected organs is usually the only way to cure it effectively.

However, another option is to use a device known as a vaginal ring pessary. This is rather like a contraceptive diaphragm or cervical cap. It's made of silicone or latex, and placed in the vagina to push back the prolapsed organs and hold them in place. Many women happily manage their prolapse this way.

WhoKnowsWhereTheMistletoes Mon 31-Dec-12 19:36:16

Happy New Year everyone and a big thank you for all the support this year from me too. xx

nanaof2 Mon 31-Dec-12 19:54:02

happy new year to all you lovely ladies thankyou for all you support with all my problems and i hope we all feel better in 2013 thankyou again xxxx

fengirl1 Tue 01-Jan-13 01:10:10

Wishing all the members of the Fallen Fanjo Club a better 2013 than their 2012 has been. X

Bladderama Wed 02-Jan-13 19:54:58

Wishing you all a wondeful 2013 and a big thank you from me to for all of the support, advice and information on fallen fanjo's and hope that we all get to graduate soon xx

Glad that you don't have long to wait wouldrather and also really pleased that you have been re-assured by your GP frequentwee.

I have my post urodynamic appointment early next week so hopefully will soon be on the road to having a less leaky bladder!

tinkxx65 Thu 03-Jan-13 12:29:01

Hi everyone, happy new year. My year isnt too happy though sad Just been to the dentist, one of my crowns has been wobbly and the post has snapped - I am blaming the anesthetist. Have also just been on the phone to the colorectal secretary to see if could get my appointment moved forward and to cut a long story short, ended putting the phone down on her she made me so mad. I am back to square one can not complete a BM. Anyway might change my name to moaner.

And a quick update, am now three weeks and two days post op and since about day 15 I have had no pain what so ever, can walk, sit, pick things up, bend - am thinking it may be because it has failed, but apart from the BM fiasco I feel fine, just a bit tired at times. So for all those waiting it really isn't that bad, the first two weeks were awful but I think I had an infection and once on the antibiotics I felt fine.

Take care all

Tr0ubled Thu 03-Jan-13 17:59:30

Hello all, Happy Healthy New Year to us all.
Tinkx,, thanks for the positive post on your recovery, it helps smile. However I'm so sorry to hear you're still struggling with BM's, everytime I have to splint I feel miserable but comforted that surgery may fix it, it must feel so horrid when it doesn't. That said when I saw my surgeon just before my non existent surgery she said the posterior repair only had a 50% success rate at eliminating the need to splint and it could be that I'd need further surgery with a colorectal surgeon but the posterior repair would significantly reduce the laxity in my fanjo. In my case I am just as upset by how lax I am down there as I am about the splinting, so if it gives me a pre delivery fanjo I'd be quite happy!

slinkychick Thu 03-Jan-13 19:19:05

Happy 2013 everyone
!2 1/2 weeks post op. Anteria,poateria, and TVT
Have been feeling really good, then last few days a tummy ache. Thought it was time for a feeland look !!
There is a really sharpsomething sticking out somewhere.,it feels like a needle(hubby lucky i wont let him near me........ cut to shreads I think)
Could this be a stitch after this time? worried it is something to do with the TVT though I amthinking it couldnot be so low for me to feel
Anyone further along from me with any answers please

Hope all are recovering well.

fengirl1 Thu 03-Jan-13 20:22:27

Thank goodness for that - I thought I'd killed the thread! Slinky, going into my Mystic Meg mode, grin, I diagnose your stitches as being PDS. They take a VERY long time to dissolve and yes, the ends feel like the bristles on a washing up brush! Sound familiar? I have them and have been told to go back at the end of Feb if they're still there (op start of oct shock). Just as well I don't have a sex life ATM of I'd be pretty fed up.

fengirl1 Thu 03-Jan-13 20:24:07

AS not of!!

slinkychick Thu 03-Jan-13 21:44:47

Thanks Fen PDS ? I was not told about the stitches. I still see bits comeing away though
Yes that describes it exactly

fengirl1 Thu 03-Jan-13 22:02:30

I can't remember what you had done - sorry. I had a perineal repair (and rectocele) and because they had to 'pull everything up very tight' (lovely blush) they used PDS which stay in a long time to make the repair as strong as they can.... I had the ends of one stitch trimmed as they 'spiked' me which was very painful, but I'm now just waiting (and hoping for them to dissolve).

fengirl1 Thu 03-Jan-13 22:07:03

Hate my phone when I have to try to remember what I want to say....
Slinky, the rest of my repair - the rectocele - was done with 'normal' stitches which came away around 6 or 7 weeks.... These buggers seem to be here for the duration. BUT as apparently the strength of the repair is not at it's maximum until about 6 months, I'm happy to leave them be for now. Tmi but I'm still finding it magical to have a bm when I feel I need one!

slinkychick Thu 03-Jan-13 22:30:43

Thanks agin fen
Iam bleeding now do you think its haveing a feel has done it........... worried now. That will teach me I will leave well alone.
Do I need to see the Doc or will it settle down ?

fengirl1 Thu 03-Jan-13 22:39:56

I would wait to see if it settles by the morning, It could be that they're getting ready to come out. Whichever way though, I think it's worth asking if they are PDS just so you know - I wasn't told.

slinkychick Fri 04-Jan-13 11:47:58

Just been to Doc, examined, all looks ok and that the surgery looks sucessful. Two small polops which look very red so could be these bleeding.
Said all good for intercourse !!!! the thought is a bit scarey, but bite the bullett maybe.
She had no idea about what the stitches were
Feel better for going as all I seem to worry about is if the prolapse comes back so puts my mind at rest.

Thanks for the replies Fengirl.......... as ever there is always someone here to offer some support

Tr0ubled Fri 04-Jan-13 18:25:53

Glad the doctors appt went well Slinky and was reassuring. I was just reading somewhere else about polyps bleeding so I would think it is these.

I'm feeling pretty sorry for myself today; should be 2 weeks post op and into the long recovery road but instead haven't even heard yet from the hospital when my new date will be. I'm also trying to find a private consultant for a second opinion to new diagnosis but don't want to just go with someone based on an Internet search and its hardly the type of thing I can ask for personal recommendations off my friends for blush

I also stupidly decided this afternoon to try and do a BM without splinting, well 20 minutes later I gave up but by this time my rectocele was protruding outside (this is the first time it's got I've allowed it to get that far). It made it so much worse as when I pushed on it instead of evacuating everything got pushed back upwards. Also then had problems with my cystocele due to all the straining of trying to go without splinting, and couldn't empty my bladder properly. Stupid stupid girl, I have just made myself feel even more miserable and even more cross that I haven't been fixed.

Bladderama Fri 04-Jan-13 18:40:26

Oh troubled I was thinking about you today and wondering whether you had a new appointment through yet. Can you give us a general idea where you so that one of us can recommend a private gynae?

Pleased to hear that you have been re-assured slinky and hugs to tinxx and hope that you get a new appointment soon.

Sorry to hear about your woes today Troubled, hope it all settles down again in a day or two.

Slinky - glad you got some reassurance at the Doctors. I managed to make mine a bit uncomfortable again yesterday, by kneeling down and dropping back onto my heels a bit, must have put a bit of strain on as it was twinging on and off for the rest of the day, I too keep worrying that I will damage it again (I've lost count of weeks now, but think it's about 14 weeks post-op).

fengirl1 Fri 04-Jan-13 21:08:46

Troubled - sending you a hug.
Whoknows, it's interesting that you mentioned still getting aches.... I realised a few days ago I actually have whole days when I'm fine, but then suddenly have a ache from nowhere I can think of. Shame as I've had an invite to go riding and I'm not sure I could get a leg over in any sense of the word! (Which is a pity as I quite fancy the bloke who invited me!) grin

That's exactly it Fen - I just get a twinge for no apparent reason quite often. Not sure I would feel up to riding yet either (not that it is a hobby of mine) - side saddle? I also get a slight feeling of something in my knickers still when i am walking, as if you've got a slipped panty liner? Especially if I go fast, strolling is OK. Was hoping all this would have totally gone by now.

Tr0ubled Fri 04-Jan-13 21:55:21

Hi Bladder I'm in London. I was thinking of trying Vik Khullar as he was recommended way back on this thread, but ideally would prefer a woman. Can't help but think only a woman can really understand how to fix a woman's bits and that the end result needs to look nice as well as be functional blush

fengirl1 Fri 04-Jan-13 22:30:16

To those of you looking for second opinions.... I was very lucky in that the head of gynae at my local hospital was a woman and did understand when I told her I felt like 'you could still drive a double-decker bus up there'... This was after my first op, when I could still see everything and still had a rectocele. I realise now that I rushed into trying to get surgery because I was so desperate to get fixed and never stopped to think if the surgeon was the best for me - I just wanted anyone prepared to help me... Take your time (as hard as that may be) and try to find someone you trust who you feel understands all of your problems. I've been left with an inoperable cystocele because I didn't stop to think...

slinkychick Sat 05-Jan-13 00:42:39

To all those thinking of riding........ of any type !! I wish you luck. Horse, ouch......... man, OMG !!

Hope everyone has a painfree and relaxing weekend

Bladderama Sat 05-Jan-13 09:03:15

Troubled sorry I am not near London otherwise would have been happy to recommend my consultant. It is good that there has been a recommendation further up the thread but totally dire that you are having to resort to that.

I am of a completely different opinion to a few of you with regard to the gender of gynae's. It was two female surgeons who have left me in the state that I was in whereas my current consultant is male and far more professional and considerate and had done a fantastic job surgically. It does just go to show that we need the correct Dr for us as Fen has already said.

Slinky I am totally with you with the OUCH factor!

Bladderama Sat 05-Jan-13 09:08:06

Posted too soon

Fen why have they said that your cystocele is inoperable? That is awful for you <hug>

Whoknows I am another one who is constantly worrying that I have overdone things and done some damage to my repairs. I can honestly say that I have never paid so much attention to the wellbeing of my fanjo blush

This thread is not accepting new messages.