Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Constipation after childbirth

(11 Posts)
AnitaBlake Sat 06-Oct-12 22:50:16

I sent DH for my last lot! He ended up at the latenight pharmacy in asda bless him. He told the pharmacist the situation and he agreed they were a good idea. Once its in, I've found that holding it as long as you can will give you the best chance of sorting it first time, don't worry, you'll know when you really have to go!

Last ditch tip - extreme constipation is easier to cope with lying down than stnading up.

I second glycerine suppositories.. over the counter at Boots (in fact on the shelves with laxatives so you don't even have to ask) By far the kindest way to get things going and work in 15 mins (insert , lie on left side, pref with a hot drink to sip)

I think the post birth poo is the scariest part of having a baby grin

tigercametotea Sat 06-Oct-12 21:19:32

I had anal fissures and piles the first weeks after my first baby - I also had a 2nd degree episiotomy at that time with stitches. I tried eating fibre, drinking water, everything... then gave up and tried Vaseline on the broken anal skin - I was too embarrassed to see the GP for that .... and it seemed to have helped as it healed quicker after that. And for my subsequent babies, same thing happened with the constipation and piles/fissure problem and I did the same. All healed up soon after with no need to go to the Dr..

SomewhereInCanada Sat 06-Oct-12 21:17:35

I hope your situation resolves itself soon. Despite having a poo before I left hospital after DS was born, they insisted on giving me stool softeners. God knows why I took one but I could shit through the eye of a needle for days afterwards.

AnitaBlake Sat 06-Oct-12 21:15:44

Glycerine suppositories should be go en out when leaving the labour ward! They'll get rid of the backed up feeling within 30mins, gently and easily I promise. You can get them over the counter.

cupcakelover1983 Sat 06-Oct-12 21:10:38

I remember the feeling well! I went 8 days after DS was born and I honestly felt more relief after finally being able to have a poo than I did after having DS because the whole experience took much longer than childbirth! blush

Lots of warm baths, sitting with my feet up on a box while on the toilet and holding the stitches with some loo roll helped. I hope it passes soon but mention it to your midwife again and see what else she suggests.

Gigondas Sat 06-Oct-12 21:10:25

And it did ease but took a few days.

Gigondas Sat 06-Oct-12 21:09:52

Keep going with what you are doing (lentils and fruit juice). Aloe Vera juice helps and more water than you can possibly drink (ESP if breastfeeding). Probiotic yoghurt also helps.

Ask to change iron tablets as if that plus codeine type painkiller being used no wonder you are Havjng this issue. Also the dose of lactulose can be upped (sympathy as its no joke).

FirstTimeForEverything Sat 06-Oct-12 21:06:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FirstTimeForEverything Sat 06-Oct-12 20:21:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now