Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Microwave causing lowered immunity?

(7 Posts)
magso Thu 04-Oct-12 11:41:25

This sounds confused to me. I vaguely remember there being some worries decades ago about high level microwave energy (used in communications not ovens) being harmful to life. Is that not why sheep graze around BBC type attena?

MousyMouse Thu 04-Oct-12 11:25:08

bollox
some people just have a more active immune system (they get many colds etc) than others.
just eat well, wash your hands often, excercise, and go outdoors daily.

She's talking nonsense, there's no nutritional difference between food cooked in a microwave and food cooked in other ways. As above, if you overcook your vegetables so as to kill off every vitamin in them, they won't exactly help your immune system, but you can do that by boiling them up in a pan till they go soggy!

Madmog Thu 04-Oct-12 11:11:00

Doesn't make sense to me at all. We use ours every day.

My husband hasn't had a cold or sickness bug for over 3 years (lucky thing). My daughter gets colds, but I've noticed they don't last as long as her friends. I get about 3 colds a year (but work closely with children so hard to avoid runny noses and sneezing) - funnily out of all of us it's my food that goes in the microwave less.

pinxminx Thu 04-Oct-12 11:08:56

That was my reaction too, I didn't say anything because I had never heard this before and wanted to try and find out a bit more about it.

Cold is going today, thanks!

Horopu Thu 04-Oct-12 11:06:57

This somes bonkers to me. If food is over cooked and nutrients are distroyed than that won't help you much but it won't slow down your immune system.
(Disclaimer: only qualification is O level food and Nutrition in 1986).

Hope you feel better soon.

pinxminx Thu 04-Oct-12 11:02:46

Yesterday I was chatting to a mum and I mentioned that I had a cold that was lingering. Her first reaction was "do you use a microwave?" she then went on to say that food cooked in the microwave causes your immune system to slow down.
Does anyone actually know if there is any truth in this? A cursory google brings up lots of health food websites etc, but I couldn't quickly see if there is anything substantial that had been proved.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now