Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Asking you for a tip on how to stop my vagina feeling like its on fire

(70 Posts)
IneedAsockamnesty Wed 03-Oct-12 20:04:43

well that says it all really.

important info i have no sti's but i am having the first period ive had since may 2011, im using a towel and i didnt notice they were moden ones with some type of sent in and now my vagina feels like its on fire

Jacksmania Wed 03-Oct-12 20:55:02

I'd go with antihistamines and tea tree oil.

Didn't your NN used to be the opposite of returning? I recognize you. You're not a troll.

Sorry you're humping chairs grin

It's probably an allergic reaction to the scent. Benadryl or the like should help.

WelshMaenad Wed 03-Oct-12 20:59:47

I wouldn't put any creams or anything down there, it will only make it worse. I had a similar reaction to scented tampons (why? WHY???) and would go with just cooling the area and leaving it alone. Creams will make it angry.

Can hugely recommend cloth sanitary towels, I used to get a bit sore and puffy even with unscented towels but now love my cloth pads and mooncup. God, I'm such a lentil knitter.

AViewfromtheFridge Wed 03-Oct-12 21:03:40

Thrusting with microphones...whatever next!

pinkyp Wed 03-Oct-12 21:05:00

I feel ur pain op! I get thrush every month a week before my periods, apart from thrush cream is there anything else I can do?

NowThenNowThen Wed 03-Oct-12 21:12:54

pinky-pure coconut oil. Works wonders for itchyness.
Also, Lay off the sugar-thrush loves sugar, lay off the booze, and eat lots of live yogurt.

OnlyWantsOne Wed 03-Oct-12 21:12:57

There was a thread about this a few weeks ago - it the scented towels that does it. The fuckers.

Wash - pat dry & let it air OP!!

monkeysbignuts Wed 03-Oct-12 21:17:01

sounds like thrush. If its itchy and burns when itched it sounds like thrush, go get some canestan combi and you'll be sorted.

WelshMaenad Wed 03-Oct-12 21:19:29

Oooh, tell you what else is nice, hair dryer on cool setting. You feel like a bit of a wrong'un doing it though.

IneedAsockamnesty Wed 03-Oct-12 21:28:51

yes jacks it did. sadly there was an outbreak of sock related thefts and i feared incarceration.

i normally use a mooncup but seam to remember a midwife saying to me i shouldnt use tampax type things till i had had at least one period i took that to mean inserted protection. didnt even know you could get cloth pads.

im certain its the sent stuff in it, its soothed rather a lot at the mo but perhaps thats because the peas nearly froze it grin

IneedAsockamnesty Wed 03-Oct-12 21:30:40

truth be told i feel like a wrong un with my peas on my olive oil covered vag but i have closed the curtains

shallweshop Wed 03-Oct-12 21:35:06

Hillarious typos in this thread! Just reading with interest as am experiencing the same thing at the moment. Off to do some thrusting into a microphone!!

Northey Wed 03-Oct-12 21:35:57

It sounds like a positive feast! Have I told you my tomato soup cure for piles?

Jacksmania Wed 03-Oct-12 21:36:57

I wonder if this makes me weird but whenever I had thrush I'd actually sit on a heating pad. Mind you, I love heat, I'm almost never warm. But it seemed to me that heat soothed it.

If I were you I'd go back to your mooncup.

ChunkysMum Wed 03-Oct-12 21:44:14

I get herpes and am VERY sore when I have an outbreak.

Sitting in a warm bath for most of the day helps. Pouring warm water over when peeing or just peeing in the bath.

Not wearing anything on my bottom half and sitting with my legs apart (sorry for the image). You could sit on a puppy pad or something if you're still bleeding.

I also use anaesthetic throat spray only I wouldn't suggest that for you.

ChunkysMum Wed 03-Oct-12 21:46:24

Oh yes, don't towel dry or toilet paper dry after bath/peeing. Put your hairdryer on cold and use that to dry. Make sure everything is completely dry.

zombiewalker Wed 03-Oct-12 21:51:15

if its the new always towels with odour netralisers or something they are EVIL

IneedAsockamnesty Wed 03-Oct-12 21:57:50

it is the always towels.

chunkys have you spoken to your gp about taking a low dose of acylover (sp) tabs every day?

LittleprincessinGOLDrocks Wed 03-Oct-12 22:03:58

Try a luke warm bath with a cup of salt disolved in it. Should ease it off a bit. If that fails try bicarb of soda mixed with water to make a thick paste and smear it on.

Northey Thu 04-Oct-12 06:41:58

How is it feeling this morning, pixie?

CouthyMowWearingOrange Thu 04-Oct-12 07:27:43

Sock is NOT a troll.

And if you DO think someone is a troll, you click report. Did you not read the bit at the top that says no troll hunting?

Bad form.

Sock - I get this too, try using canasten cream. And stop using the towels.

And why make them friffing scented anyway? If I wanted a flowery foof, I'd spray air freshener up it. Strangely enough, I've never been compelled to do that, so why would I want scented San pro?

CouthyMowWearingOrange Thu 04-Oct-12 07:36:18

Had consigned myself to having a sore, inflamed hoohah every month since Always did this.

Where can I get unscientific pads from? I HAVE to use the night time Always ones even in the day, as I bleed a lot.

I have issues with tampons (the regular turn themselves round and come out, the super are too high absorbency and scrape when they come out), can't afford a Mooncup, concerned about leakage with cotton ones.

I just want unscented pads. Too much to ask?!

CouthyMowWearingOrange Thu 04-Oct-12 07:36:57

Unscientific?! Bloody Autocorrect. Unscented. FFS.

differentnameforthis Thu 04-Oct-12 08:29:23

If you need to use towels again, go for reusable. Goggle it, there are some greats ones out there! I haven't been able to use tampons since dd1 was born & disposable towels always give me thrush. So I made some of my own.

DO NOT put tea tree on it either, please! neat essential oil stings like buggery!

differentnameforthis Thu 04-Oct-12 08:31:34

couthy , you can get the cotton brand in the UK can't you? They are supposed to be v good!

BertieBotts Thu 04-Oct-12 08:37:46

Try these, Couthy, you can get them in Boots.

www.cottonsbrands.co.uk/

They're disposable pads but their company ethos is less chemical crap in their products, so no scents!

As an aside a mooncup would pay for itself fairly quickly if you have heavy flow and if you don't get on with it you can send it back within 3 months for a refund.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now