Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

People with coeliac, can being " glutened" be this bad?

(29 Posts)
l4k Sat 29-Sep-12 11:33:26

I have another thread with more details( had a funny turn while out shopping!)in case I forget anything !
I'll try to be brief, been gluten free for about 18 months because after a very strict low carb diet I found I couldn't eat bread or pasta or even oats without getting a washing machine action in my guts, then diarrhoea with mucous and occasionally some blood.
Long story short, had some chicken with a light dusting of something powdery on thurs evening and have had a painful, tender abdomen ever since. It feels inflated and hurts to touch. It even hurts when i stand up and when my bladder is full . I had a mucousy bowel movement thurs evening , then diarrhoea x2 yesterday morning.
Saw gp yesterday who is referring me to gastroentlogist and said he thinks it's coeliac.
What do you think? Is this what it feels like if you accidentally ingest gluten?
Please help.

l4k Tue 02-Oct-12 14:20:31

Thanks. I saw a gastroentlogist this morning who want to do some boipsys by endoscopy because he said there could be lasting signs or scarring if I have coeliac and a m r enterography ( MRE) to check there's no crohns He said he expects they will come back ok and I'll have to work with a dietician to discover what I am actually sensitive to by an exclusion diet. I'll just be glad to be able to eat with confidence .
I still don't see how he can absolutely exclude coeliac though , but at least he's trying.

hellymelly Tue 02-Oct-12 14:23:19

If you are coeliac then as I understand it the biopsy should give a definitive answer.

Thumbwitch Tue 02-Oct-12 14:31:46

It should, helly - but only after going back on gluten for ~6w - by now, l4k's gut will have healed significantly as she's been off the gluten for some time.

l4k Sat 06-Oct-12 09:15:08

The MRE is on Monday I'm worried about how I'll cope fasting from 12 pm sun night till 1:45. Hope it goes smoothly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now