Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Smear test

(9 Posts)
Flosie1989 Wed 26-Sep-12 11:40:17

Hi all.

I'm 23 so am not due a smear test just yet. However I had my first baby in May of this year and I've heard that once you have a baby you will be offered a smear test soon after. Is this true?

If not I was thinking of paying for a private one. Does anyone have any experience of this?

Thanks.

steph2412 Wed 26-Sep-12 12:37:56

Hi im the age as you and have 2 children i was not routinely offered a smear,however my youngest is nrly 4 so things may have changed now.just wanted to share my story after my 2nd dc i kept having pain during and bleeding after sex and really heavy periods,i went to my doctor who said it was all hormonal. however the symptoms persisted and i saw a locam doctor by chance who referred me to a consultant for a colposcapy. he probably saved my life i was found to have cin 2 3 years ago and had immediate treatment. i now have smears 6monthly for 5years and then yearly if everything is normal. Ive not posted this to scare you but persisting with my doctor ment i got the treatment i needed if i had been left until i was 25 i mite not even be here!i never miss my smear apps and believe every woman whi has the chance should accept the test as abnormalities are easily treated if found early enough!good luck with it and my advice is pay private if not available on nhs!x

Flosie1989 Wed 26-Sep-12 21:27:31

Thank you steph for your reply. I'm sorry to hear of the ordeal you've been through. How's everything now?

I don't have any symptoms that anything is wrong I'd just like to have that peace of mind. So, I've booked in for a private smear test on the 5th October at a cost of £180!! But I figure it will be worth it. smile

Quaterlifecrisis Wed 26-Sep-12 22:19:06

I'm 23 with a child also- but no we are not able to get smears unless we have symptoms. I went to the doctor to ask because I was so worried after the whole Jade Goody thing. It makes me soooo angry that we don't get them- can I ask where you're getting it for that price? I was quoted £250 when I asked.

It is ridiculous we don't get them!! I work across the border in Wales, every day I see posters reminding my students to get their smears. Grrrrrr, if it saves one life it is worth it! And I don't believe the bollocks about why we don't need them until 25- they are just trying to save £££.

Sorry rant over, this is something I feel so strongly about.

steph2412 Thu 27-Sep-12 14:14:46

Everything is a lot better now thanks i have had two years of normal results i just believe that it is such an important and worthwhile test.glad you managed to get one booked,good luck!

Flosie1989 Thu 27-Sep-12 16:30:00

Thank you steph

quarterlifecrisis its a private clinic in west sussex called southdowns. Do you have a bupa or a nuffield hospital near you?

Quaterlifecrisis Thu 27-Sep-12 20:53:38

Yeh a nuffield that's who quoted me 250 sad

Flosie1989 Mon 01-Oct-12 12:57:30

quarterlifecrisis if you go onto Marie stopes website they offer smears for £75 and may have a centre near you

Flosie1989 Fri 05-Oct-12 16:54:58

Ok so had my smear test today as well as an internal examination. The results will come back in two weeks time.....

I explained to the doctor that ive been having pain more so in the left ovary area. She said this is probably because ive got the implant in etc. Although now im not so sure i agree....since having the smear and internal the pain has become worse and more at more regular intervals. Any ideas???

She felt my tummy for cysts and said she couldnt feel any but if i wanted i could pay for a private ultrasound to make sure.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now