Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Thinning hair - when will it end?

(23 Posts)
coffeecake Thu 04-Oct-12 14:24:20
PostBellumBugsy Thu 04-Oct-12 14:18:29

My hair thins very badly when my iron levels drop, so make sure you get your iron checked too.

coffeecake Thu 04-Oct-12 14:16:18

Sheila I have the same problem but I'm only 36 sad
I am really hesitating about Philip Kingsley as it's so expensive.
I get this funny tingling sensation in my scalp with mine, and the scalp is quite itchy has anyone had that?

Sheila Thu 27-Sep-12 19:08:00

Brass thanks for your kind comment - I suppose I keep googling hoping for reassurance - fatal!

Sheila Thu 27-Sep-12 19:06:29

Love pigeon that's a very sad story about your 'friends' - what a horrid thing for them to do! I first became aware of my problem when I noticed a friend staring at my hairline. She was too polite to say anything at least. Well done for talking to a more sympathetic friend about it. Weirdly, I feel a sense almost of shame in talking about it to anyone - more do than anything gynaecological!

lovepigeon Wed 26-Sep-12 22:07:25

Glad I could help, my hair is still thin now but I have just accepted I have thin hair so might as well not worry about it if I can't change it.

I have issues with my DH though as he will often look at my scalp with a concerned look - I just want to forget about it if it is not my best feature especially if I am doing everything I can to have healthy hair.

They have changed their website so the link I should have posted is this one:

www.lucindaellery-hairloss.co.uk/

I found it soo hard I suffered from BDD and until this happenned my hair was I thought my only good feature (long auburn hair, people always commented on the colour), it is what I felt made me attractive as I did not like my face. Its just such a huge part of our femininty and identity. I think I ruined a good 6 months of my life worrying about it. But you know life is too short, even if you were to go bald you would still be beautiful and deserve to enjoy your life.

Didn't help that it was brought to my attention in a very bitchy way. Day before my birthday in a shared student house and I was sitting with the other housemates (all male) then 2 of my supposed female friends - other housemates - come up and in front of the boys say smirking/laughing "lovepigeon you have a bald patch on the back of your head". I felt so humiliated, if they were my friends then surely they would have said it to me in private?

Luckily I had a lovely friend on my course, I went in the next day wearing a hat and told her what had happened showed her my hair in tears and she said "Don't worry your hair looks fine I naturally have thin hair" (she does) and though I kept wearing the hat for ages her down to earth and honest response was so lovely.

Sorry for rambling on!

brass Wed 26-Sep-12 11:55:22

don't google and scare yourself silly! Stress is bad for it so do speak to the GP and try and put your mind at rest.

It really does help to get on with your life, at some point I noticed all the regrowth and realised it had been weeks/months since I'd given it any thought.

Sheila Tue 25-Sep-12 18:28:26

Lovepigeon - thanks so much for that link, such a comfort to know that's there. I'm glad your hair is back. I'm pretty sure my problem is menopause related, as I take a vitamin supplement already. Bottled out of talking to my GP about it yesterday so have made an appointment with another one on Monday. Scared myself silly by googling images of bald women, so I really hope I get some help.

Really appreciate all your replies - thank you.

brass Tue 25-Sep-12 11:03:09

ditto thyroid function and B vitamins.

Mine was hormonal after the children although I don't think other people could tell, it looked drastic to me.

It recovered again, not dwelling on it (easy to say!) will help but it generally coincided with me feeling better all round. Took a few months.

you could start taking B supplement.

Bubblemoon Tue 25-Sep-12 10:44:20

I'm your age and had the same thing. My hairdresser recommended flax oil and the hair/nails/skin vitamins from Holland and Barrett. I take both every day and my hair loss has all but stopped.

lovepigeon Mon 24-Sep-12 23:31:06

Hi I had problems with thinning hair when I was at University which I think was diet or hormone related. GP was useless so I think it is good you are going to see a trichologist. I basically wore a hat for a year or so until the worst patch on the back of my head started to look better. Now my hair is just normal-thin.

Stress is bad so it is helpful to know that if you don't manage to fix it with meds/diet or even if you just need some help to make it look good in the mean time there is a place in London that does special hair extension things for women with hair thinning/baldness problems:

www.lucindaellery.com/

I went to see them when I had my problem and they were really lovely about it - they told me I didn't need the hair extension things as mine wasn't too bad (so they are not just out to make money) but I found it helpful to know at the back of my mind that the option was there if it did get much worse. My symoathies as I know how upsetting this can be.

topsi Sun 23-Sep-12 19:31:10

Sheila, if you don't get any sympathy then see another Dr! This is a big deal for any woman and deserves to be delt with seriously!

Aftereightsaremine Sun 23-Sep-12 19:26:18

I had this turned out my iron levels were low. Been on iron supplements since so much better.

Sheila Sun 23-Sep-12 19:13:55

Thanks all - I am seeing my GP tomorrow about something else so will ask her about it. I'm just not expecting much sympathy!

nutmegthespringerspaniel Sat 22-Sep-12 15:06:44

FWIW I had this problem for several years. Two weeks after my coelaic issue was uncovered ( & was living gluten free ) hair stopped falling out. No problem since. ( was due to low B12 level )

tabbycat15 Sat 22-Sep-12 13:45:48

I have this it's called Androgenic Alopecia which is hormone related. The scalp is sensitive to the male hormone testosterone which affects the Androgen levels. Menopause can cause an imbalance.

I saw a trichologist & I had scalp biopsies done. I tried taking the Dianette pill, Yasmin pill & Spironolactone. I had to discontinue early on as I got too many side effects. You can also try Regaine.

I am not menopausal. Mine started after the birth of my 2nd child. I lost so much hair & my scalp went greasy, my daughter is 9 now & finally it's showing signs of improving. My hormone levels were ok so it is a mystery. I have suffered a lot of stress though.

Have a google of Androgenic Alopecia.
There is also chronic hairloss called Chronic Telogen Effluvium.

topsi Sat 22-Sep-12 08:19:39

Oh OK a trichologist, maybe worth you seeing an endo as well

topsi Sat 22-Sep-12 08:18:17

yes get what you can from your GP, ask for a FULL thyroid function profile including TSH, T3 and T4 to give you the full picture. Also a full menopause profile, get all you can before you see the private Dr that way the process will be speeded up.
Get a full print out from your GP of all the blood tests and the results. Also a referal letter from your GP will help as he/she can sumarise your symptoms and any past medical history which the private Dr can read before he sees you. This will all save you money and time in the long run.
Can I ask who Dr Kingsley is please out of interest.

out2lunch Fri 21-Sep-12 15:55:35

yy def get your thyroid levels checked out - this is a symptom
gp will do a blood test - no need to pay

Sheila Fri 21-Sep-12 15:53:24

None as yet - I had just assumed it was owing tome being per- menopausal. I am planning to consult philip Kingsley so assume they will do all that (for a price).

topsi Fri 21-Sep-12 14:36:48

What tests have you had Sheila? Reduced thyroid function can cause hair thinning.

Sheila Thu 20-Sep-12 20:29:37

Anyone?

Sheila Thu 20-Sep-12 18:51:17

The hair on top of my head is pretty thin. Having done a bit of Googling it looks like this is probably hormone- related (I am 49). I am resolved on going to a trichologist but just wondered when and if the thinning will stop. Will this just carry on until I'm bald, or is this as bad as it's likely to get?

At the moment I'm probably the only one who can tell so it's relatively easy to hide by a sweep over, but if it gets any worse it's likely to be toupee time. Anyone got any advice?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now