Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

ouch. really really ouch....something really trivial is hurting me and affecting everything

(297 Posts)
VicarGoingForGoldInKungFu Tue 07-Aug-12 19:38:06

this sounds so trivial, but after having verrucas for 5 years i have gone to a private podiatrist. i have a total of <drum roll please>

of
the
little
fuckers

but i have 1 very very huge.one the fleshy part of my foot, and he is treating with a very strong acid paste which i have to leave on with a dressing for 5 days before it gets done again on day 6 or 7.

ive been off work, so its not been too bad, but i went and had the treatment again last night and then had to work today......and i am in absolute proper bloody excrutiating pain - my foot is swollen and throbbing, it feels like i am walking on razor blades. its so so so sore and the patch that is being treated is about the size of a two pound coin so its quite large and so very very sore.
i am limping, and today my sgt asked why im limping.
it feels so so silly to say its 'cos of a verruca, but it is, or rather the treatment of one.
the pain is so bad that were it anything else i think i would have thought twice about going in tomorrow - i can hardly walk, but i cant phone in sick and cite a verruca. its just not an option.
ive taken pain killers, i have to wear my boots and socks (if i could wear sandals it wouldnt be so bad!) but the job is in uniform and i have wear the clobber.

how does anyone have this type of treatment and continue about their daily business?
with shoes on?
seriously. its hurting just in case i ve not gotten that message through in the above whinge.....
sad

maytheoddsbeeverinyourfavour Wed 08-Aug-12 20:20:37

Oooh that is nasty sad

I can see why taking time off would be difficult, but really if the pain gets too bad you must take care of yourself and rest it. I really hope it gets sorted out soon

Sending you some of my lovely strong pain meds over the t'interweb

MrsTrellisOfSouthWales Wed 08-Aug-12 20:21:40

Oooh the eye of evil shock that looks vile Poor you.

VicarGoingForGoldInKungFu Wed 08-Aug-12 20:22:05

joan - ive not actually shown my sgt how bad it is but i think i may wield the pic at him tomorrow....not sure really but im not much use on light duties and we are short staffed....GP was not remotely interested, so i didnt take off the dressing.

its not your run of the mill verruca is it.....sad

VicarGoingForGoldInKungFu Wed 08-Aug-12 20:23:53

want to see the rest of my foot?

ill spare you the other foot.....it is truly ridiculous. im falling to pieces from the bottom up....

Hassled Wed 08-Aug-12 20:26:26

Bugger me shock. I read this thread thinking "well the acidy stuff sounds nasty but really, how bad can veruccas get?" - turns out I know nothing whatsoever. I can't believe you're standing upright on that, let alone working. Jaysus.

doinmummy Wed 08-Aug-12 20:27:03

Bloody 'ell Vicar. That's grim. I'd def wave that pic under Sgt's nose if I were you.

joanofarchitrave Wed 08-Aug-12 20:27:31

How much are you taking in the way of painkillers? Are you on maximum dose of everything? Don't piss about, most painkillers are more effective on maximum dose and you can interleave them (sure I'm not telling you anything you don't know). Have you tried codeine and aspirin tablets, my mum swears by them?

VicarGoingForGoldInKungFu Wed 08-Aug-12 20:27:48

its nasty. true.
i am not standing upright unless you count standing like a flamingo......
its hard to look cool on one leg.

joanofarchitrave Wed 08-Aug-12 20:29:08

More to the point, you could end up doing your back in if you try to nab villains on one leg [demonstrates that knowledge of crimefighting is limited to late 80s Bill episodes]

VicarGoingForGoldInKungFu Wed 08-Aug-12 20:30:14

im crap with pain killers - ive been taking paracetamol, but nothing more, and then only when i remember/have time to take them/

ive taken 2 today. i have codene somewhere but i think it made me a bit whoozy when i last took it....(when i broke my arse that was.....)
its not so bad when im not walking/standing/driving.

ie.
its ok when im sitting.

VicarGoingForGoldInKungFu Wed 08-Aug-12 20:31:38

i feel ridiculous really.
its a verucca.
cept its not normal, is it? its a super verucca. on acid. ha. i made a joke there......

Oh my God, you poor, poor thing sad. That doesn't look like any verruca I've ever seen before. No way should be working with that, I wouldn't even describe it as a verruca. I think you need to be insistent and show your GP to be honest.

NatashaBee Wed 08-Aug-12 20:33:24

Oh my god. I need mindbleach! On the plus side though, it does sort of look like the edges are dying off, so maybe the treatment is working. You can get Scholl verruca cushion things which are like a cushion that sits around the outside of the verruca/corn, have you tried those?

joanofarchitrave Wed 08-Aug-12 20:35:09

Yeah. 2 paracetamol? Give over. 4 x 2 a day, set an alarm on your phone or something. they are actually more effective when you keep the level up. If you can get the day/week off and sit down then you don't ned the painkillers so much.

3littlefrogs Wed 08-Aug-12 20:38:20

IME the only thing that works is freezing them off.

The freezy stuff you can buy over the counter is fine. You MUST follow the instructions, and it may take 2 or 3 treatments.

All these other products are a waste of money and are painful and time consuming.

Podiatrist treatment is expensive and time consuming.

I tried all of the above for 7 years with a massive verucca, then eventualy bought the freeze treatment and it worked brilliantly.

joanofarchitrave Wed 08-Aug-12 20:40:17

I do wonder if it's just time though, as he said - there comes a time when the virus just dies. hence why everyone is convinced the last treatment they tried worked, whatever it was, because it was just the verruca's time to go.

In which case, you might as well leave it and just wait, if you can normally walk on it/them?

VicarGoingForGoldInKungFu Wed 08-Aug-12 20:42:35

3little - check out the pic i linked on page 2......then tell me to freeze it off....,grin

been there and done that and bought the t shirt......

my verucca has taken on a life of its own. my son is digusted that i posted that pic btw.....revenge!

VicarGoingForGoldInKungFu Wed 08-Aug-12 20:43:46

had them 5 years.

decided to get treatment when it had started to become too painful to walk....having said that it wasnt this painful.

mummybookworm Wed 08-Aug-12 20:43:59

Jeez Vicar that looks ruddy agonising! Just a thought but why don't you email the pic to the docs on Embarrassing Illnesses. They might offer an opinion or send you in the direction of a second opinion. I think it is well worth getting someone else to look at it. Hope you feel better soon.

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Wed 08-Aug-12 20:45:22

<<faints>>
<<gets up>>
<<faints again>>
FUCKING HELL! That makes my link look quite tame! shock

Hassled Wed 08-Aug-12 20:47:18

Are you quite sure this foot doctor man knows what he/she is doing? Sure they're not some sort of untrained charlatan type?

3littlefrogs Wed 08-Aug-12 20:47:55

Oh my goodness. I have just seen the photo.

You must show that to your GP. You may need a hospital job on that.

3littlefrogs Wed 08-Aug-12 20:49:22

I don't think that is a verucca.

If I saw that on one of my patients they would be straight to the GP.

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Wed 08-Aug-12 20:53:46

Those verrucas are divine retribution for disagreeing with my Paul McCartney thread the other week! grin

VicarGoingForGoldInKungFu Wed 08-Aug-12 20:57:07

my pod is registered with the body that registers podiatrists.....he also works in the NHS so i figure he knows what he is doing.....<crosses fingers>

thats the big one.
the others are not as huge and not as problematic, but they are numerous.
<wails>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now