Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

ouch. really really ouch....something really trivial is hurting me and affecting everything

(297 Posts)
VicarGoingForGoldInKungFu Tue 07-Aug-12 19:38:06

this sounds so trivial, but after having verrucas for 5 years i have gone to a private podiatrist. i have a total of <drum roll please>

of
the
little
fuckers

but i have 1 very very huge.one the fleshy part of my foot, and he is treating with a very strong acid paste which i have to leave on with a dressing for 5 days before it gets done again on day 6 or 7.

ive been off work, so its not been too bad, but i went and had the treatment again last night and then had to work today......and i am in absolute proper bloody excrutiating pain - my foot is swollen and throbbing, it feels like i am walking on razor blades. its so so so sore and the patch that is being treated is about the size of a two pound coin so its quite large and so very very sore.
i am limping, and today my sgt asked why im limping.
it feels so so silly to say its 'cos of a verruca, but it is, or rather the treatment of one.
the pain is so bad that were it anything else i think i would have thought twice about going in tomorrow - i can hardly walk, but i cant phone in sick and cite a verruca. its just not an option.
ive taken pain killers, i have to wear my boots and socks (if i could wear sandals it wouldnt be so bad!) but the job is in uniform and i have wear the clobber.

how does anyone have this type of treatment and continue about their daily business?
with shoes on?
seriously. its hurting just in case i ve not gotten that message through in the above whinge.....
sad

I think it looks better. smile

Trazzletoes Mon 20-Aug-12 21:45:22

Think it definitely looks better, though indescribably painful! So not jealous!

pinkpinkeverywhere Mon 20-Aug-12 21:54:53

I have lots of verrucas and have had them shredded! It sounds worse than it was but you have a local in your ankle and then the podiatrist sticks a needle into the verrucas loads of times. The theory is that this should simulate the body to attack the verruca virus and heal them completely. It wasn't painful after and is clearing them on both feet.

Jacksmania Tue 21-Aug-12 00:19:57

Sounds repulsive interesting, pink <feels a bit faint>.

Solo Tue 21-Aug-12 01:33:00

Every time I read 'vp' I think vulnerable prisoner!! grin

Can I just repeat how effective (and cheap) the vinegar method was for me. Just if anyone wants to try it....

<evangelical>

ToothbrushThief Tue 21-Aug-12 07:40:53

DD had clusters of verrucas (bit like Vicars but in smaller no.s)

GP advised they would go when ready... took months and months. I did everyhing suggested here.

Woke up one day and they'd gone. Almost overnight. I'd probably do the duck tape method in future

NotMostPeople Tue 21-Aug-12 08:26:18

Am watching with both horror and interest. I've had a Huge cluster to verucas for about seven years that just won't go. I did go and see a pod but it was on a Groupon thingy and he was very quick and just painted on some saylic acid and said it was too big a job. I would have happily paid, but decided he obviously didn't want my warty foot anywhere near him.

I'm definitely not going to another one having read your thread Vicar, hope it get better. I've ordered the Marigold oil mentioned further up the thread and will do the cider thing while I wait for it to arrive. Good luck.

Jacksmania Tue 21-Aug-12 21:37:53

How's your back today, Vicar?

ThatVikRinA22 Tue 21-Aug-12 22:10:28

back not great.....still walking like groucho marx and on diazepam.....im going back to pod tomorrow and im telling him enough is enough.

Solo Tue 21-Aug-12 23:39:32

Does the vinegar method sting Cakes? Dd wont let me near it and even though I mentioned doing the vinegar method and explained what I'd do, she won't agree (she's 5). She had a bit of a soak today in the bath and the black centre seems to have dropped out. There's a normal white wart next to the verruca site still; would vinegar work on those too? I'm really hoping that the verruca is dead and gone now.

AgathaFusty Wed 22-Aug-12 08:04:32

Solo - I've done the vinegar method for a few weeks. It can hurt, sometimes more than others, sometimes not at all. I'm not sure why it's so variable.

I've read that the duct tape method is good, and there has actually been a research trial on that method that suggested it works as well as anything else. The duct tape needs to completely cover the verruca, and it's easiest to cover it with a plaster once it's in place, since it won't stick to skin on its own. The theory is that the duct tape has something in the sticky stuff that damages the verruca virus, and also covering the verruca with duct tape prevents air reaching the verruca which damages it further. Either way , duct tape on its own won't hurt at all.

I tried that too, and have to say it didn't work for me, but mine was a long standing, ten year old verruca. It went on its own though a few months after using the duct tape and vinegar methods, so maybe they did help, just not immediately.

Solo Fri 24-Aug-12 00:20:41

Hmmm...thanks AF I might try to persuade Dd to try it, but she's not keen on me going anywhere near it. Atm, I've been dripping that hand santiser stuff onto it, just because she'll just about let me do it. She seems to have another wart appearance on a toe. I wonder if any of these 'cures' will get rid of normal warts too?

Jacksmania Fri 24-Aug-12 05:31:20

So what did the podiatrist say when you told him you'd had enough, Vicar?

AgathaFusty Fri 24-Aug-12 08:35:16

Solo apparently they do, I suppose because it is the same virus, it's just that verrucas are pushed into the skin more as you walk on them. My son had a wart and a verruca some years ago. We put banana skin over them both for around 4 weeks, changed it each day and held it in place with a plaster. They both went within that time. Probably coincidence, but who knows. Def no pain involved with that either smile

How's things Vicar?

gingeroots Sun 26-Aug-12 09:45:38

I read on "Chat" that Vicar has name changed so I don't think we'll hear from her .

Oh no ginger. sad Well if she's reading this i hope the foot and back are okay. smile

gingeroots Sun 26-Aug-12 11:36:52
Henbur Mon 27-Aug-12 19:05:27

Gutted perhaps vicar could PM someone she's trusts and they could update u on the verruca saga??!!

ThatVikRinA22 Mon 28-Jan-13 23:47:46

<creeps in for tentative update>

well guys.

its seems that stress does some very funny things to a body....

i have been signed off work for the last, um, lots of weeks, with stress and i can whisper this so as not to jinx myself....

tonight i counted 32 verrucas.

and they are all shrinking....i think they are going. on both feet. and mummy verruca while still looking fairly disgusting is going also i think...i almost daren't post this but within only the last few days they are smaller, drying up and have all gone brown....mummy VP still hurts but also seems to be on the way out...

i dont think any treatment would have worked for these stubborn little gits....

a long rest from stress appears to have been what the foot doctor ordered.

oh and i have a hiatus hernia just for good measure, diagnosed today. i dont think i do stress very well....

please keep fingers crossed that this is really curtains for verruca gate....
yay! (quietly whispered)

ThatVikRinA22 Sat 02-Feb-13 00:50:31

fluffy are you still about?

i need to know - now ive been signed off they are all going black and look like they are drying up.....its taken 3 months of being off work. clearly this is all stress related.....

should i just leave them well alone or should i be bazuka - ing them now while they are looking vulnerable??

they are really looking loads better and are all shrinking and drying up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now