Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can I take paracetamol alongside tramadol?

(22 Posts)
PavlovtheCat Tue 24-Jul-12 17:59:25

I am thinking I can as i took codeine with paracetamol, as co-codemol? The tramadol has replaced the co-codemol and so not taking the paracetamol element of the combined opiate/paracetamol medication, this is my thinking behind it.

iamabadger Tue 24-Jul-12 18:02:07

Yes you can (nurse here)

Yes

PavlovtheCat Tue 24-Jul-12 18:03:50

oh good! I googled, but got some mixed messages.

I am taking 50mg tramadol (at the moment, not working very well), can I take 1000mg paracetamol alongside it as I would with codeine? I am also taking diclofenac.

fedupbythesea Tue 24-Jul-12 19:24:46

Yes you can. I take 100mg of tramadol and 1000mg of paracetemol every 4 hours. I have taken this with ibuprofen as well as advised by my gp. Hope your pain eases

PavlovtheCat Tue 24-Jul-12 20:10:03

fedupbythesea I am taking tramadol 4 x daily, so will take the 100mg with it, thanks! and sorry you are in that much pain you need it too sad. I hope it eases for you too. Did you go straight to 100mg of tramadol? DH said I should just go up to 100mg, but I don't want to do that without gp advice. I will call him tomorrow to talk about it, will see how the paracetamol works.

I am taking diclofenac which is the equivalent of Ibruprofen, so hopefuly the whole mix together will kick my pain into next week, but i doubt it <sigh> just taking the edge off will help. Although, i expect this is taking the edge off, hate to think about how I would be feeling without my medication shock

fedupbythesea Tue 24-Jul-12 22:23:19

Me too. I always think it mustnt help at all as i hurt so much but i just have to hope its doing something. Im lucky in that i dont tend to get any side effects. Ive been taking it for a while tho on the max dosage. I took 100mg from the start with no ill effects. Even taking 100mg twice a day might help you. Its worth a go

sashh Wed 25-Jul-12 04:28:13

Yes, and it works well to augment other thiings. You can actually get tramocet which is tramadol+paracetamol in one pill.

PavlovtheCat Thu 26-Jul-12 00:30:30

fedup i might try that, taking two at once x 2 daily. I am not at work and so it is a good time to try it, especially in the day time when DH is here before work grin

I was very surprised that the affects on me have been minimal. I had some tiredness/spacedness for the first day, and now it does not feel like I am even taking it, I feel no affects from it in the day time at least. I actually find I am not very tired at bed time and cannot sleep easily on it. But, oddly, I am finding that I am wanting to be a bit neater? I am finding myself organising things like at a friend's bbq today, I stacked the plates on the table and straightened the ketchup and sauce bottles/put the lids back on them, keep doing stuff like this and even DH has noticed!

I have been taking the paracetamol with the tramadol and diclofenac and it has made a big difference, I was very surprised at how much better I have felt today.

PavlovtheCat Thu 26-Jul-12 00:30:52

sassh maybe I will talk to gp about that. he did not mention paracetamol at all to me.

SuddenlyMadameGlamour Thu 26-Jul-12 00:31:13

Yes you can. smile

wishiwasonholiday Thu 26-Jul-12 00:32:52

I'm on tramadol and my gp said that if you take paracetamol with it they have a better effect which they do for me, I had to go on the slow release tramadol though cos they were wearing off overnight but the slow release are much better.

PavlovtheCat Sun 29-Jul-12 16:15:31

Rather than start another thread. One more question:

Paracetamol is helping with pain releif alongside tramadol and diclofenac. But not as much as I want/hoped/expected. I am taking 50mg of tramadol but am aware this can go as high as 100mg safely. DH has suggested I increase to 100mg but I am not sure as gp prescribed 50mg. Should I wait to talk to gp about this? Or do you think I should/could increase ths safely now? The medication leaflet itself says 'take 1-2 tablets up to 4 times daily wih no more than 8 tablets/400mg in 24 hours (para)' unless otherwise stated.

I think I need more to cut through the unbearable pain.

PavlovtheCat Sun 29-Jul-12 16:17:11

That is I am taking tramadol 50mg x 4 daily (200mg in total) Want to increase to 100mg x4 daily (400mg in total).

wishiwasonholiday Sun 29-Jul-12 17:24:20

Pavlov I would speak to your gp, they may not prescribe more if you've used double what they said. I take 400mg daily but in the slow release ones do I take 200mg every 12 hours they're much better as they don't wear off overnight like the 50mg ones as I would wake up in agony.

PavlovtheCat Sun 29-Jul-12 17:28:05

I was thinking of calling ooh gp to ask? Don't need to see them jus over he phone question? But then worried it is not emergency as such, I can cope if I have no choice, I don't want o to be seen as wasting their time. Oh it's Sunday now, I will just crack on.

wishiwasonholiday Sun 29-Jul-12 17:30:40

Worth a try, I keep medicine in for asthma and if I get a chest infection they just give me permission over the phone so that my gp will issue replacements rather than travelling to them.

Yes, I've been told that the paracetamol makes the tramadol work better. I take 400mg a day, two modified release tablets as they are long term meds. You can even mix co-codamol and tramadol, though I wouldn't recommend without a doctor's say so, though I have done during kidney infections.

PavlovtheCat Sun 29-Jul-12 17:48:43

I might call tonight just to get the nod. Then as you say when I run out quicker they won't think I am abusing them as they will have agreed the increase, or not. I don't have to go to gp these days for meds, just a call for prescription, and when I am in a lot of psin they fax straight to pharmacy for Dh to collect asap.

wendyabi Tue 03-Jun-14 18:06:27

can i take paracetamol with Tramadol 100mg modified-release tablets

ChestyNut Tue 03-Jun-14 19:02:12

Yes

wendyabi Tue 03-Jun-14 22:26:12

thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now