Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Wiggly lines in my vision.

(17 Posts)
kid Thu 02-Mar-06 21:19:08

Is it normal to have wiggly lines going through my vision or should I be alarmed by this? Its when I look down at a piece of paper when I notice it most. I do wear glasses for reading and driving, or should I say I'm supposed to wear glasses!

I sometimes get really bad headaches but have never been diagnosed as suffering from migraines, my headaches do match a migraines description.

chapsmum Thu 02-Mar-06 21:27:27

I have heard of people seeing wiggly lines/shimmering lights from migranes. would be worth discussing it with your gp and getting your vision checked again!

Do you see them with both eyes? How long have you been seeing them?

kid Thu 02-Mar-06 21:32:38

I haven't tested to see if its both eyes, I just really noticed it today when I was trying to read something. I ended up following the wiggly lines rather than reading the writing!

I've just checked now and its not happening at the moment. Today it was really bad though.

Please check it's in both eyes. (If it's just in one eye, please go to A+E - I know weird visual effects in one eye can be a sign of impending retinal detachment. I think it's normally showers of sparks, though.)

Are you short-sighted?

kid Thu 02-Mar-06 21:47:35

Yes I'm short sighted.

Last time my eyes were tested my sight was just on the borderline for requiring glasses for driving.

If it was Retinal Detachment, would there be any other sypmtoms? Of course if I had to I'd go to A&E but I'm really not one to rush to the hospital (for myself) unless its an absolute emergency.

Caroline5 Thu 02-Mar-06 21:51:55

I don't suppose your're talking about the 'floater' things you get in your eyes are you? I can see these when I stare out of a window at the sky for instance. Concentrating now looking at the screen, I can see the odd one floating by! I've had them for years, don't know if they're harmful, but don't think so!

Could it also be astigmatism - if you stare hard at a radiator say, do the vertical lines seem to wobble?

I would visit your optician asap.

Eeek Thu 02-Mar-06 21:52:41

it's very common to have 'floaters' in your eyes - usually as a result of tiredness. mine look like wiggly worms and when I try to focus on them they slip away. my optician said they are definitely nothing to worry about. Pop in to your optician's tomorrow and get them to check. they should be able to do it without an appointment.

kid Thu 02-Mar-06 21:56:29

I sometimes get a floater going through my vision which then tends to lead to a headache a couple of hours later. Its usually just one blob.

Today, I had lots of lines going sideways through my vision. I wasn't straining my eyes to read at the time. I have a Drs appointment on Monday anyway so will mention it to them.

jalopy Thu 02-Mar-06 21:58:57

I'm not a headache sufferer but I sometimes have visual disturbances that are associated with migraines. It affects my peripheral vision. It's as if I'm looking through a prism, some people liken it to a kaleidoscope pattern. It goes after 20 mins or so. Have no other symptoms. Have had my eyes regularly checked by an optician and my BP is fine. It's weird.
Definitely get your eyes checked.

I think you have to be very short-sighted to be at significant risk of retinal detachment. Playing contact sports also helps. Ditto bungee-jumping.

I'm pretty sure, anyway, if these lines were a sign of retinal detachment, your retinas would have already detached ... I'd go talk to an optician or GP tomorrow though, maybe?

Here are the official symptoms:

Symptoms include a sudden or gradual increase in either the number of floaters, which are little "cobwebs" or specks that float about in your field of vision, and/or light flashes in the eye. Another symptom is the appearance of a curtain over the field of vision. A retinal detachment is a medical emergency. Anyone experiencing the symptoms of a retinal detachment should see an eye care professional immediately.

I am +6 (-6? very short-sighted, anyway), and am as a result likely to have retinal detachment. My mom had it in one eye. She didn't get any warning, though.

RedRidingHood Thu 02-Mar-06 22:16:50

I get the kaleidoscope - tear drop disturbances with migraines - although sometimes without the headache.

Get your optician to check it out if its in both eyes.

kid Thu 02-Mar-06 22:35:53

AFAIK, at my last test (3 years ago) I was +1 so not very short sighted. I'll pop into the opticians on the way home from work tomorrow. I bet they make me have another eye test for which they will charge me.

kid Mon 06-Mar-06 19:58:14

Saw the DR today and she said it sounds like migraines and I should have my eye sight checked. Just need to get an appointment at the opticians now, will probably have to take DD 7 and DS 3.

ChampagneandNappies Wed 08-Mar-06 16:47:57

Caroline5 - thank you thank you thank you!! You have just answered a question that has been bugging me for ages. I have a really bad astigmatism, had it since I was 4. Recently the 'floaty lines' have been getting worse but then I am sitting typing away on MN for a while too.

Caroline5 Wed 08-Mar-06 17:05:07

Glad to have helped!! I've got astigmatism too and also get the wavy lines sometimes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now