Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Think I've got fleas...how to kill without harming baby?

(7 Posts)
LoobyLou33 Fri 06-Apr-12 22:47:06

Argh! Very itchy! Me, that is.
We have no pets and I haven't recently been around any, bu have been getting bitten for a few weeks now. At first i put it down to garden insects as I've been out doing a lot in the spring...but last week I found a flea in the shower, urgh! And I thought that was it (DH killed it) but in hte last 2 days been bitten to pieces.

A friend used a flea bomb on their place but I don't know if that's OK with an 11-month old around? Any advice on what to use? From googling about I see fleas are hard to get rid of and you need to do a few rounds of battle!

I've posted this in he pets section too :-)

rabbitstew Sat 07-Apr-12 08:49:44

Wouldn't it be best to get a pest controller round to confirm what the problem is before you try treating it? He or she would also be more knowledgeable on safe treatments around small babies. If you don't have a pet, I don't know why you are assuming the problem is something that can be answered by posting on "pets." Have you recently moved into a house where someone had lots of pets???? Or do you think you've somehow managed to get human fleas????? I'd be pretty surprised if you do have a personal human flea problem. Pet fleas do not live on humans, so the chances of getting them in your house and ending up with an infestation without pets to bring them in are really remote. Bed bugs are much easier to get an infestation of in a pet free house... Or you could have scabies??? Where are you getting the bites??? Are you the only one being bitten, or is the rest of the family suffering???? Definitely ask for an expert opinion before you use chemicals to treat the wrong thing and then have to use more chemicals when you try again.

It'll be the carpets that have fleas, not you personally. I would advise against using a flea bomb as it will contaminate all the baby's things.

Can you borrow a cat? A flea-treated cat is the best way to eliminate a flea infestation, as their blood contains a chemical that renders the fleas infertile, breaking the life cycle.

LoobyLou33 Mon 09-Apr-12 00:11:05

rabbitstew to answer your many queries about my post...

getting a pest controller round would be rather expensive, methinks. It's not a free service!

I posted in the pets section because I thought pet owners might be quite familiar with dealing with fleas...seems a reasonable assumption? Just because I haven't got a pet doesn't mean I can't have a flea problem though, I know they don't live ON people but they can live in our beds and carpets. Eugh.

As I mentioned...I actually found a flea in the bathtub as I was having a shower, so I do have some evidence that all these bites I'm getting are from fleas. That and the fact that the bites look like flea bite photos on t'internet.

I'm planning to pop to a local vet to get them to look at my bites and see if they can help.

hugefurry thanks for that tip about cats. The only friend I have with a cat has also had a flea problem! MInd you they treated it with a flea bomb, as one of the housemates was getting bitten to pieces for months. I reaaaaaaallly want to eliminate the buggers asap before they breed and make a home in all my things.

Nannasylv Mon 09-Apr-12 14:33:17

Indorex spray, from the vet. Once a year, and we have no problems, with 5 cats, and 2 dogs!

rabbitstew Mon 09-Apr-12 22:10:59

Yuk. Sorry, I didn't realise it was so easy to bring animal fleas into a pet free home. I shall view other peoples' pets with more suspicion in future... We had many pets in our home when I was a child and never had a flea problem - the pets were checked regularly for fleas and treated, rather than the house.

Nannasylv Tue 10-Apr-12 01:28:57

We do use the drops (on the back of their necks) every summer too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now