Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Syndol

(166 Posts)
juneybean Sun 11-Mar-12 18:42:31

Why is there a shortage? sad I really don't like the boots own paracetamol and codeine, too chalky.

-moan-

kellysmith2909 Mon 29-Sep-14 17:02:02

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

scousadelic Sun 28-Sep-14 19:27:23

Syndol is Co-Codamol with doxylamine so you the easiest solution is to buy doxylamine and take it with generic Co-Codamol. I got mine from Amazon as 'Kirkland Sleep Aid' which I know is a reputable make because Kirkland is Costco's own brand.

The one I bought runs out that 2 Co-Codamol and half a Sleep Aid is roughly similar to 2 Syndol

grovefarcroft Sun 28-Sep-14 19:12:30

Thanks for the steer emms,managed to get the UK syndol from www.highfieldroadpharmacy.co.uk too

emmsphillips Sun 14-Sep-14 18:57:50

Just don't think I would feel comfortable buying from abroad but thanks for the info. May have to consider it when I can't get any more UK ones tho!

DrankSangriaInThePark Sun 14-Sep-14 18:38:28

I had a cupboard full once. Stockpiled the first time they withdrew them.

Sadly have now 1 slightly soggy pill left.

Nusalembongan Sun 14-Sep-14 18:33:01

Sorry I was referring to the link in Hattie's blog link that says they may be dodgy.

Nusalembongan Sun 14-Sep-14 18:32:02

The link above shows a picture of the packets that I've received - the ones that my friend brought back in person came through a doctor friend in SA complete with a prescription for customs - identical packaging.

Just my experience.

Nusalembongan Sun 14-Sep-14 18:29:15

From here last time

www.onlinepharm.co.za/

Nusalembongan Sun 14-Sep-14 18:26:26

I buy from South Africa on the internet and it's exactly the same as the 'old' syndol in the UK. Also asked a friend to bring back some which they did.

Very relieved as it's the only thing that works for me too.

emmsphillips Sun 14-Sep-14 18:24:21

Hi sangria. Think it is old stock as it is the genuine product but has an expiry date of 8 months, which is more than adequate to my usage. Have to agree with your "technical term"wink

DrankSangriaInThePark Sun 14-Sep-14 16:33:41

I asked the pharmacist in Boots the other day and she said any being sold in the UK were either old stock or fakes possibly coming in from abroad and they have no date as such yet for the reintroduction.

She said co-codamol was the nearest thing. I said bollocks is it. <<<technical term. grin

emmsphillips Sun 14-Sep-14 10:49:40

Alisononline100 Sun 06-Jul-14 08:53:52

There are some for sale on eBay at the moment available for dispatch from the UK by first class post. The seller has 100% positive feedback. Expensive though.

JayPeters Mon 21-Apr-14 16:20:55

hattielewis84 Wed 16-Apr-14 15:22:15

Syndol has 100% been discontinued! If you are buying any Syndol, it probably isn't legit. Don't find that out the hard way!

I've been looking for Syndol too because they were the only pain killers that were able to numb my migraine and knock me out.

I found this list of alternatives from a tweet after searching #syndol (haha so desperate!) : blog.thehealthcounter.com/2014/04/syndol-is-gone-but-there-are-alternatives/

These products look like they might work just as well! I wanted to share the great news! smile

Syndol is definitely not coming back, and it looks like people are making fake Syndol (which is really not good. I think it's time we all moved on and found products that are 100% legit.

Hope this helps!

Hattie xx

blog.thehealthcounter.com/2014/04/syndol-is-gone-but-there-are-alternatives/

chillat53 Wed 15-Jan-14 21:16:12

I found syndol the only thing to sort migraines and very frustrated that unavailable AGAIN...tried G.P. useless and online prohibitive cost..asked friend and family in U.S.A and N.Z. ..former can't get..and he is a dr[!] latter bought but had to give his name and address and not sure if allowed to send unless he is an authority [no just an individual],tried relation going to S Africa..Does anyone know if there is any legal restriction to someone who lives here bringing it back to the U.K. and how much it costs there? Thanks..this is my first time with mumsnet

ElmoGoode6 Tue 17-Dec-13 17:04:50

I bought some syndol from a South African pharmacist but worried about taking it....a few people have mentioned that they had done the same. Its in a purple packet And the tsbs are yelloq and a flat circular shape.

I have been prescribed Naproxen 500mg from my gp for my tension headaches which are thank goodness infrequent. It makes you woozy but only taking x1 twice a day has worked. Gp told me to take for 2 days to see if it worked and it has !!!!!

Darling42 Mon 28-Oct-13 09:45:12

Took stock of 100 syndol from ondoorsteppharmacy yesterday!! Ordered them on line, bit unsure at first but they took just over a week to arrive and come in a different box and are tablets the size of a 5p coin, low and behold, headache kicked in and took two tablets last night, woke up this morning pleased as punch to say headache gone, and feeling ready to tackle the world again!!! Cost me just under £40 for 100 tablets, totally worth it!! No lengthy medical check like some sites are asking, the tablets come from South Africa and when you use the site for the first time everything is in dollars but it is converted for you when you come to pay. Hope this helps others desperatly seeking the "gold dust" syndol!

Alice45 Fri 11-Oct-13 08:12:08

victor2013 Sun 15-Sep-13 18:30:11

I have since stopped buying from Tesco. I am now getting them for £30 for 100 of them from www.ondoorsteppharmacy.co.za, just took a few days to arrive here and its such a relief! literally!!!

kaosak Wed 28-Aug-13 10:16:37

You can get co-codamol with caffeine in at Tesco. I have tried that combination too, for some reason it doesn't seem to work quite as well but I suspect a lot of that is psychological for me.

Ledkr Wed 28-Aug-13 07:55:26

Domestic. What about the nausea? Dies doxy help that?

domesticnightmare Tue 27-Aug-13 23:12:18

Got the Syndol situation sorted for my monthly migraine/tension headache from hell, are you ready?
Get 2 co-codamol, a mug of coffee (not de-caff, you need the caffeine!) And finally get onto amazon uk, and order kirklands signature sleep aid ( sold in costco in US) half of one of them is about the same amount of doxylamine that you would have had in 2 Syndol! Was a pharmacy technician in previous life, before kids, so know what I am doing smile
Hope this helps someone, it might just be one migraine/tension headache a month but it is so worth trying smile

kaosak Tue 27-Aug-13 23:03:21

I bought 100 from buysyndoluk and can confirm that they are absolutely fine although horrendously expensive ... somebody somewhere is making a fortune out of our suffering grrr...

I spoke to someone in Tesco who gleefully (I swear) told me that they wouldn't be coming back ever again shock!

The idea of paying £60 for a 100 of them each time just makes me want to cry.....

victor2013 Thu 25-Jul-13 10:11:06

Bumped into this thread by sheer luck, anyone know if syndol is now available.locally. Seeing some overseas suppliers only.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now