Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Syndol

(163 Posts)
juneybean Sun 11-Mar-12 18:42:31

Why is there a shortage? sad I really don't like the boots own paracetamol and codeine, too chalky.

-moan-

Tranquilidade Sun 18-Mar-12 20:32:37

Have you tried taking Paracetamol with Buccastem?

New migraine guidelines don't recommend Codeine or anything containing it as it has shown no effect in trials, can aggravate nausea, slows gut motility so can slow the absorption of other drugs and may be implicated in causing medicine overuse headaches.

Buccastem is a tablet for nausea in migraine that you push up near your gums and it absorbs straight into the bloodstream so acts much faster than anything that has to be absorbed from the stomach. It can still knock you for six though!

Jajas Sun 18-Mar-12 20:40:46

Mmm interesting. Do you have to get it on prescription Tranquil?

Propain plus sounds vaguely familiar..

AllDirections Sun 18-Mar-12 20:43:30

Syndol is the only thing that works for my migraines and I've been told that it will be back in stock in June by every pharmacy in my town (yes, I really have been to EVERY one)

I've had to get some beta blockers from the docs. I'll stop taking these once I can get syndol again.

Jajas Sun 18-Mar-12 21:32:20

I'm glad I'm not the only one that finds Syndol to be the only thing that works. Please let the June thing be true.

I can't have beta blockers as I also have asthma grrrr.....

gingeroots Sun 18-Mar-12 22:18:23

Propaine plus says it contains the antihistamine doxylamine
www.propainmigraine.com/propainplus.html.
I've never tried them myself ,but I assume you can still buy them .

ettiketti Sun 18-Mar-12 22:24:26

What fryingpan said, we've been told June.

Jajas Sun 18-Mar-12 22:26:05

Wow those are the same ingredients. Just looked in the Boots website and as with Syndol it says that you need a prescription which the doctor then says that the NHS won't provide hmm.

Will go into the chemist tomorrow and see if any luck.

idohopenot Sun 18-Mar-12 22:27:08

Watching with interest. Thanks for this thread. thanks

juneybean Sun 18-Mar-12 23:50:48

Syndol was over the counter confused

ledkr Mon 19-Mar-12 07:53:28

Can buy buccastem over the counter yes.Its about 4.50 i use them if no syndol and for my vomitous hangovers

TheCunningStunt Mon 19-Mar-12 09:22:07

Propiane is as hard to come by as syndol now

Jajas Mon 19-Mar-12 10:17:44

This is what makes me think it can't be a manufacturing issue unless propaine is made by the same company?

Tranquilidade Tue 20-Mar-12 22:32:18

Buccastem is a much better anti-emetic than the wimpy antihistamines in Propain or Syndol. If it were me I'd be trying Buccastem with soluble paracetamol.

Jajas Tue 20-Mar-12 22:40:49

Argh forgot to ask for that today!

Pharmacist told me that Propaine and Syndol are made by the same company with many other medicines affected, she said it is all due to re-licensing as the company has been taken over - nothing to do with abuse.

Should be back on the shelves by June if all the licensing issues are resolved although could be under different brand names.

juneybean Tue 20-Mar-12 22:59:34

June is better than September at least!!

Bucharest Wed 21-Mar-12 13:32:58

Pharmacist at Stansted told me the same thing- temporarily withdrawn to re-licence, back before the end of the year,but poss with new name.

I heart syndol. And I love the whoozy feeling which when you feel poorly sick anyway, is like being wrapped in a lovely trippy soft blanket. grin

Migraleve total rip-off. ££££ for the paracetomol +codeine you couldhave bought in a plain box for about 99p. Once got v cross with GP who huffs and puffs about writing me a scrip for sumatryptan "look! look! how much they cost" (despite me pointing out to him that in 10years they have been the only thing I have had from the NHS) and made me try migraleve. Shite.

juneybean Wed 21-Mar-12 15:13:07

Beginning to think we need a support group for Syndol lovers grin

Victorkd2 Sat 24-Mar-12 19:57:13

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Darling42 Sat 24-Mar-12 21:02:01

Would really love to know if anyone has actually ordered the beloved Syndol from this Zimseller company and if they are real and genuine?? I would deffo part with £20 for a pack!! I totally agree that they are the best thing for the Tension headaches and have to agree the feeling of knowing that you can tuck yourself up in to bed and wake up pain free is worth the cost!! And having eaten my way through a box of Co-codeine that have no effect at all,some genuine feedback on this company would be much appreciated!! xx

Selz1977 Sat 24-Mar-12 22:48:06

I really need Syndol to come back. I sometimes wake up with headaches that get worse as I'm lying down, to the point where I feel sick and at times have been been very ill. Syndol worked well for curing that, and now I'm stuck. I had one of these headaches today, took Migraleve Pink and Yellow which made no difference. I still have the headache now sad

5babyangels Sat 24-Mar-12 23:29:55

I find Nurofen plus, cuprofen plus good. These are ibuprofen and codeine! I hope they aren't going to stop that! sad

AmyOw Sun 25-Mar-12 20:16:14

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

KalSkirata Sun 25-Mar-12 20:22:57

i need syndol. was the only thing that stopped 4 day migraines. Imigran did bugger al

KerryLou82 Tue 27-Mar-12 21:49:25

I suffered from migraines since I was 17. Nothing worked except Syndol and, believe me, my GP tried me on everything. After the Syndol shortage I knew codeine didn't do the trick so I purchased Doxylamine Succinate tablets in the form of Kirkland Signature's Sleep Aid. One of these before bedtime every night and I've not had a migraine since the shortage began. In a way, I find them better than Syndol. The only drawback is you still feel very drowsy on waking but it's nothing a quick shower can't fix.

demipint Wed 28-Mar-12 11:31:44

I've just taken delivery of 72 Syndol bought in S Africa (much cheaper) where obviously still available with same contents as here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now