Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Tranexamic Acid

(20 Posts)
BlackCatinaSantaHat Tue 20-Dec-11 07:53:02

Has anyone had experience of using this and if so how did you get on?

I have been prescribed it and am a bit worried about if there going to be any side effects.
I am also on iron tablets.

Also, if any doctors are around- can you reasure?

Bossybritches22 Tue 20-Dec-11 08:00:16

What are you on it for? Heavy periods?

My DD2 was recently prescribed this, together with Mefenamic Acid for really heavy painful periods. Works a treat & as she only takes it for a few days each month we 're not worried.

Your GP should have explained how they work to you & if there were any major s/e to worry about would have warned you I'm sure.

Don't not take them, go & see your practice nurse or the GP for more reassurance.

BlackCatinaSantaHat Tue 20-Dec-11 08:09:53

Yes, heavy periods. That's what causes my anaemia. (we think)

Thanks for your reply. x

IShallWearMidnight Tue 20-Dec-11 08:17:41

I find it makes my period last longer (10+ days) but much much lighter, so for me it's a good trade off. But I get a lot of wind blush. No other side effects - because you take it when you need it (I tend to do full dose for the first two days, then nothing thereafter) it's out of your system quite quickly.

BlackCatinaSantaHat Tue 20-Dec-11 08:23:32

I thought I would take when I need it too(on the worst days).
Thought I was going to die last month bleeding was so bad. Sorry if TMI.
Got myself in quite a panic.

At least it should be out of the way by Christmas! (started Yesterday).

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 20-Dec-11 12:34:40

H BlackCatina,

Has anyone tried to actually determine the cause of the heavy periods and associated anaemia?. Have you seen a gynae to date?.

BossyBritches - how old is your DD2 btw?. Endometriosis is a common cause of persistantly heavy and or painful periods. Treating the symptoms is all well and good and at present it seems to be working - but it does nothing to address why this is happening.

BlackCatinaSantaHat Tue 20-Dec-11 13:36:37

I was sent for a scan last year but when the doctor got the results back he didn't say there was anything serious.
The only options I have been given are the Mirena coil (Which I don't want)
or tranexamic acid tablets. Was told if they don't work then they will reconsider what to do next.
(I am 37 and don't want more DC).

donnie Tue 20-Dec-11 13:41:33

I was on TA for a while and it was great, I know a few other women of my age (40somethingwink )who take it and are very pleased with the results. In the end I had a hysterectomy (long story) but for the heavy bleeding it was ace.

Make sure you take it as soon as you feel yourself coming on, don't leave it untile you are well and truly into the bleed, iyswim.

Acekicker Tue 20-Dec-11 13:47:31

I used TA (with mefenamic acid) for a while, it worked well until it began to work less well (which was what happened to everything I tried for my periods). The only thing I needed to watch out for was a slightly increased risk of clots when flying as I was also a smoker.

Not sure if you want longer term advice but I'm 38 and didn't want any more kids and had endometrial ablation earlier this year, the only thing I regret is not having had it done about 5 years earlier - 'tis bloody marvellous!

crazycrackernanna Tue 20-Dec-11 13:51:41

Seems we are in tandem Blackcat
I was given the Tranexamic Acid and Iron tabs yesterday for early fibroid changes.
Will watch this thread smile

crazycrackernanna Tue 20-Dec-11 13:54:08

Acekicker...I am being referred to Gynae to consider the ablation thingy as I bleed like a slaughtered pig.

Did it work? Was it horrible?

Acekicker Tue 20-Dec-11 14:11:58

It's worked like an absolute dream! I used to have to plan work trips etc around my cycle, had my handbag stuffed full of super plus tampons, ultra pads etc (which needed changing every hour at least) plus the fainting due to the pain... Since the ablation I'm now like some irritating bitch from a tampax commercial - 2 or 3 regular tampax for a 12 hour day, no painkillers, if I could be arsed and was 20 years younger and had the figure for it I'd be wearing my skimpy white skirt and roller-skating everywhere grin.

In all seriousness it has been great. The few hours after the actual procedure were very painful but I think that was more because I'd come on the day before so had a final few hours of agony rather than the procedure. I'm not great with general anaesthetic so had a few days of feeling feeble but I would still go through it as the benefits have been literally lifechanging (for a week or so of each month). You do need to have contraception sorted still as you can get pregnant but wouldn't be able to sustain one to term but this wasn't an issue for us as DH had the snip a couple of years earlier.

Do look into ablation as an option if you don't want more kids, after 20odd years of suffering it's been a revelation to me that life doesn't have to be like it was!

crazycrackernanna Tue 20-Dec-11 14:18:56

It sounds like a dream life to me! I do not think I can go on with this bleeding for much longer...I am often seen walking down the street with my jacket around my waist due to leaking...look like a dodgy 40 odd teenager hmm

No chance of being up the duff again....if I did give birth it would have batteries up it's arse as I have been single for 6 yrs wink

Bossybritches22 Tue 20-Dec-11 14:21:28

Interesting thread.....
Atliila DD2 is only 14 but seems to have inherited my gynae problems poor love sad Trouble is she has NO warning of her periods starting & is around 4-weekly but sometimes nearly 5 weekly so can't start the TA a bit in advance to get her body loaded IYSWIM so I'm trying to get her to take them as soon as she starts or else she's in bed for 2 days & going into her GCSE's that ain't good!

orangeLFDThead Tue 20-Dec-11 14:21:47

I take it along with Mefenamic Acid for my heavy periods I only need to take it for two days a month. It works really well but lenghens my periods to about 7 days. If af arrives say on a weekend I don't take it but just stay at home and sit on towels just incase. Personally I would rather have 2 day af than 7. Which I think is great thing about it, you only need to take it when required. No side effects.

Acekicker Tue 20-Dec-11 14:22:11

Well in that case, go for it smile! Be warned I've heard a few people say they come under pressure to go for the Mirena rather than ablation so you might have to stand your ground, I have a feeling there isn't anything in NICE mandating Mirena first. My gynae was fab and also I'd already had the Mirena (which did work for a couple of years, then stopped and gave me the world's worst PMT as an added bonus) so he agreed it was definitely the best way forward...

Good luck and in the meantime much sympathy coming your way...

crazycrackernanna Tue 20-Dec-11 14:23:33

Thank you smile

BlackCatinaSantaHat Tue 20-Dec-11 22:08:31

Thanks all for the replies. I gave it a go today and things were better than last month. (Fingers crossed it is helping!)

My doctors were pushing me for the Mirena coil but I kept telling them I wasn't keen so eventually they suggested the tranexamic acid. wink
Am hoping this will stop life being so awkward every month and embarrassing. blush
I haven't even talked to my DH about my bleeding problem although he knows about the anaemia.

Hope the rest of you find a solution to your problems.

Acekicker Wed 21-Dec-11 05:49:14

Glad you got some relief, if it works it is pretty good stuff.

Scattyt Mon 11-Jan-16 22:10:51

I have the same mefanamuc acid and tranexamic acid and it gives me wind. I have to take it until my procedure of hysterectomy being done as my blood loss has made me anaemic so it is possible. I've got other problems as well as confirmed endometriosis which is absolute AGONY can't wait for it all to be over I'm only 30 but with my other issues this is the best foot forward in my opinion and my Dr and gynae consults opinion

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now