Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Pneumonia - when do you start to feel better?

(12 Posts)
nogoodusernamesleft Sat 01-Oct-11 10:37:17

Am feeling very sorry for myself sad

Have been unwell for 3-4 weeks now, and on my third different course of antibiotics and third course of steroids (because my asthma flared up as well). On codeine as well for the pain, which just makes me tireder.

Chest x-ray showed pneumonia in both lungs, and I've got to do a sputum sample <boak> to make sure it's not some weird strain I've picked up.

Am just totally wiped out, had a week off work then went back for a week which I think just made it worse, so I've now been off all of this week, and yesterday the GP signed me off for another fortnight. Am panicking because there isn't really anyone else at work that can pick up my work for me, so it's just gonna pile up.

Has anyone else had this? How long was it before you started to feel yourself again? I haven't got the energy to do anything, only got dressed once this week! Please tell me it will get better soon!

Iamseeingstars Sat 01-Oct-11 11:29:12

I ended up in hospital with pneumonia so was loaded with all sorts of ABs. I was released after more than a week and felt fine after that. (However, had been very ill for weeks beforehand). Going into hospital was the best thing I ever did to get me better. Still tired, but that is part of my other existing illness.

Have they identified which strain?

How are your fluid levels/electrolytes - dehydration etc., these can make a huge difference to how you feel?

The doctor should be helping you/guiding you as to how you can recover

Hope you recover soon.

nogoodusernamesleft Sat 01-Oct-11 12:45:18

Thanks Iam, they have tried to get me into hospital a couple of times blush but I work in A&E and just can't bear the thought of being an inpatient, which I know sounds silly!

They haven't identified a strain yet but want me to send this sample in, because I started to become unwell just after we got back from Egypt - GP was wondering whether I'd picked up a weird strain from there.

Hadn't thought about fluid levels tbh, maybe dehydration is a factor in it? Perhaps I should try some Dioralyte or something? I have parts of the day where I feel ok and then I can just feel myself starting to slide again - had a barney with DS1 this morning and then coughed myself stupid for near on an hour - need to calm down I think!

Thanks for replying smile

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 01-Oct-11 17:23:45

Ages from what I have heard from dn, who has had it 4 times. It knocks you and I dont think you realise how much untill you have it.

Almostfifty Sat 01-Oct-11 20:03:28

I got pneumonia after our second child was born (went into hospital in labour with flu) and it was two months before I felt anywhere slightly near back to normal.

It's all very well saying work will pile up, but if you're not well and you go back too early, you'll end up back off again for longer.

Get yourself better before you go back to work. Ask what's being done to sort out your work while you're away if you want, so you don't go back to heaps of it.

RandomMess Sat 01-Oct-11 20:05:36

Took DH about 6 weeks in total to be back at work full time (non-stressful job) probably 3 months before he was back to playing sport and wanting to go to bed at 9pm every night - he was really fit and healthy beforehand and only had a tiny patch on one lung.

Dehydration was a big problem for him.

Iamseeingstars Sat 01-Oct-11 22:59:18

It might be worth you having a stint in hospital, at least then you are being monitored and tested and checked and they will get on top of it.

I hadnt realised how unwell I was until I got into hospital and was deemed as "seriously ill", so much so, I practically had 24 hour close monitoring for first few days, and through the nights had nurses sat with me the whole time.

I also had fluid being put into me the whole time I was there because I had been so sick for the many weeks before there was nothing good left inside me.

Doctors are great, but they are not experts, and they are happy to dole out medication for anything and everything but dont get to the root of the problem. They make guesses but dont have the expertise in every field to identify many health problems.

If they dont know the strain, the antibiotics might be the wrong ones. My ABs were changed several times until they found one they thought most appropriate, whereas with the doctor, you plod along with the course, it doesnt work, then you get some more, they dont work, then they try something else etc.

Being in hospital is horrendous, but your colleagues will then also realise you are not just skiving.

If you dont get on top of it now, it might take a long long time to recover.

Mine wasnt identified, other than being Atypical Pneumonia.

giraffesCantChaChaCha Sat 01-Oct-11 23:05:35

Poor you sad Not had it myself but if asthme is an issue do come overto our asthma thread - many on there have had pneumonia and we always happy to offer tea and sympathy. Get well soon.

nogoodusernamesleft Sun 02-Oct-11 11:18:54

Thanks all for the helpful info, looks like I'll be having another couple of weeks off then! Is probably a good thing in a way, have been telling work for ages that there would be a problem if I went off for an extended period of time. At least they'll have to sort something out now.

Think this lot of ABs is starting to kick in finally, am taking Ofloxacin, the GP described it as the Domestos of antibiotics cause it kills all known germs! grin

giraffes will pop on to asthma thread, have been lurking on there this week! Thank you!

mumof3teens Sun 02-Oct-11 19:51:08

Bet you picked it up on the flight. Am always picking up bugs after flying. Had a chest infection which lasted ages (8 lots of ABs including 1 lot for a month). Lots and lots of rest and fluids, as others have said. Vitamins, lemon and ginger tea was really good. Hope you feel better soon.

GodKeepsGiving Mon 03-Oct-11 06:34:54

I was on a life support machine for 2 weeks in 2007 with pneumonia. It took about 2 years before I really got strong again and if I am ill now then my chest aches and I have been left with asthma and palpitations. Just rest more than humanly possible - I didn't and I'm still paying the price. Although the codeine makes you more tired it will force you to rest which is what you need. Your breathing muscles in your shoulders and your chest have been traumatised and need to recover. When you do start to feel better, don't push yourself too hard. It really isn't worth it.

I thought my 3 months was bad. It was horrendous and made much worse by the fact that I was pregnant at the time and the hospital wouldn't touch me. I was very limited on what they would give me and in the event I lost the baby anyway. But I honestly thought I would never get better. I couldn't comb my hair or walk to the kitchen even when I was well on the way to recovery. You just need to give it as much time as it takes. Rushing it won't help at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now