Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Q&A with Nutritionist and Dietitian, Lynne Garton - ANSWERS BACK

(44 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 29-Jun-11 14:21:13

This week we're inviting you to send in questions to Lynne Garton, a qualified Nutritionist and Dietitian with over 20 years of experience. She has a first class degree in Nutrition from King's College, London and a Postgraduate Diploma in Dietetics and has practised as a clinical Dietitian both in acute and community health settings. Lynne is has recently been involved in TV programmes such as the Truth About Food (BBC). She is working with WellWoman Cancer insurance from Chartis, to provide dietary advice on how to keep healthy, now and for the future.

Approximately one in three people in the UK will develop cancer at some point during their lifetime, however experts believe a number of these cancers could be avoided by making changes to our diet and lifestyle. A recent report stated that more than one third of the most UK common cancers could be prevented by following a healthy diet, being more physically active and maintaining an ideal weight.

Lynne is happy to answer your questions on the importance of a good diet, as well as tell you the foods we should be eating more of, and those we should be cutting down on, to maintain health and to reduce our risk of diseases such as cancer. Send in your questions to Lynne by midday on Tuesday 5th July. Click here for more information on WellWoman cancer insurance.

housewife19 Wed 29-Jun-11 17:42:07

Hi Lynne, my question is , am i too late to reverse damage done by 14yrs of orthorexic eating disorder? I am 45yrs old 5ft 2" and 7st 5lb, i am having CBT and diet advice to gain weight but am still very anemic. 7st was my lowest weight .

iblossom Wed 29-Jun-11 18:13:59

My daughter is a student and has been studying and living in Spain she has been eating late at night and missing breakfast and I suspect it is "food on the run" and high on calories - lots of pasta too. She has gained quite a bit of weight much too her dismay as she used to be very thin and she has gone from a healthy size10 to a 12/14.She is determined to take more exercise which has been difficult where she is at the moment but is there anything she can do food wise to help the weight loss. I am reluctant for her to diet as she once was on the verge of Anorexia when she was sitting school exams.
I read that eating more protein burns fat and also a supplement l-carntine helps.

HidinginaHardHat Wed 29-Jun-11 23:06:39

Hi, I'm wondering how best to manage medication related weight issues? I have fibromyalgia and IBS so my diet is very limited and the amount i can exercise is restricted due to the fatigue.

Is it possible to eat myself well?

TrilllianAstra Thu 30-Jun-11 12:31:50

My question is do you feel that there should be more education into the difference between "nutritionist" and "dietitian", given that one is a title that anyone can claim (including famously Ben Goldacre's dead cat) and the other is a qualified healthcare professional? Do you feel that confusion between the two has led to a lot of people wasting money and time and possibly hurting their health?

Calypso Thu 30-Jun-11 12:33:43

Hi Lynne, a friend has recently been diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma and is going through Chemo at the moment. Any advic eyou can offer on what she should be eating both during chemo and after to help avoid recurrence would be So gratefully received. Many thanks.

leolion Thu 30-Jun-11 13:34:26

Hi there lynn, I have been getting daily episodes of feeling jittery, sick, and very weak if I have gone without food for more than an hour or so. If I eat sugary foods I tend to feel unwell about thirty minutes after. I have had a blood test for diabetes which has come back normal. I wondered whether you can give me some advice on foods with a low glycaemic index and any other tips, as I think I may be having hypoglycaemic episodes. many thanks

Gooseberrybushes Thu 30-Jun-11 14:04:23

Hi there, I'm a big fan of Patrick Holford and active nutrition. What do you think?

FringeMonkey Thu 30-Jun-11 15:41:34

What is the evidence about the role of good nutrition in fertility?

venna Thu 30-Jun-11 16:02:30

Hi Lynne. My 2 yr old daughter is dairy intolerant. She has been on special formula, then soya, since she was 6 mths old. I'd like to ask your advice on how to keep the fat, and calcium, content of her food up to toddler levels. We use a dairy free spread, cook with olive oil and and lots of coconut milk, and sneak avocado into meals. Thanks.

WhenCanIWine Thu 30-Jun-11 16:21:22

Hiya, I would like to know to what extent a person who eats reasonably well would need to also include any kind of supplements in their diet eg multi vit. Or is it more a case of supplements helping when diet isn't so good for some reason?

thebestisyettocome Thu 30-Jun-11 17:14:46

I was told my someone in a health food shop to never eat red meat as it can't bne digested and therefore only 'rots.' He also said that at every meal at least half your food should be raw. Are either of these true?

drzeus Thu 30-Jun-11 19:47:17

Hi Lynne

I suffer from the 4pm energy slump nearly every day and end up having a carb overload (crackers/bread/cereal). Then end up feeling really bloated/sick. I'm so fed up of this cycle.

I have yogurt and fruit for breakfast, an apple mid morning, a salad / fruit for lunch, salad and fish for tea.

Any advice most gratefully received.
Thanks

wompoopigeon Thu 30-Jun-11 21:31:35

What are your views on Gillian McKeith?

Asinine Thu 30-Jun-11 21:33:32

Hello

I wanted to know if you think it would be a good public health measure to heavily tax fizzy sugary drinks. I my view, no one is really benefiting from them, and they cause a lot of harm. If they were very expensive it would put people off drinking 3l a day?

Danthe4th Thu 30-Jun-11 21:37:10

Hi Lynne

Over the last year I seem to have gained a stone in weight, most of it around my middle. I'm 5ft 5in and now weigh 11 stone.
I'm nearly 44, i've always been keen on fitness and exercise classes but over the last year i've struggled to have the energy. I'm coeliac and struggle with my diet. I know what I should eat but when i'm in a rush the food tends to be high in fat or sugar. I've 4 children so I do cook from scratch as much as possible but i'm really finding it hard to eat properly, any tips for a dieting coeliac would be grateful. Thank you.

BoojaBooja Thu 30-Jun-11 22:02:23

Hi,

We are all vegans. Our daughter has just turned three years old and seems very healthy (she seems to suffer from fewer colds, for example, than many of her friends; and she's always full of energy). Everyone comments on how tall she is, and she's a good build. So, I'm not worried about the vegan diet, but I'd be grateful if you have any tips on getting the right omegas into a young child's vegan diet, please? She has a mix including flaxseed in her porridge every morning, but I'm wondering if there's anything else that she could eat.

Also, I try to limit her soya intake as I'd hate her to develop an allergy. Do you think there's a dangerous amount of soya, for a young girl?

Thanks very much! smile

scampbeast Thu 30-Jun-11 22:08:55

My son (27 months) has recently been diagnosed with intolerance to potatoes. I need some ideas for different carbohydrates to give him at meal times; he doesn’t like rice and will only eat pasta if it is in a sauce. I had been giving him vegetables mixed in with mashed potatoes but we can’t do that anymore.

MalibuStac Thu 30-Jun-11 22:20:42

Hi Lynn

I am currently quite overweight and trying to loose weight with diet and exercuse. I have an underactive thyroid and pcos, any advice on what the best way to achieve good results would be?

Thank you advance.

edam Thu 30-Jun-11 22:34:39

no question, just a bit 'huzzah' to MN for spelling dietitian correctly. grin

edam Thu 30-Jun-11 22:34:55

Although apparently I can't spell big...

MrsOnTheMove Thu 30-Jun-11 22:59:35

Hi Lynne - my daughter is overweight at 8.5 years old. As a family we eat healthily, exercise and food cooked from scratch. I am concerned about daughters weight, as most of her weight is midriff and I was diagnosed with Breast cancer over 5 years ago (I know lifestyle plays a part). I have spoken to GP but really given no guidance on how to try and balance out daughters weight. How many calories should she be eating (she is very active)?

SearchSquad Thu 30-Jun-11 23:36:50

Hi Lynne - I recently stoped breastfeeding my 2.5 year old son. Now I am unable to coerce him into drinking any milk at all from the cup. He is a finicky eater and generally dislikes dairy products. At the most, I can make him eat a pot of yoghurt in a day.

I am worried about his Calcium intake. How do I compensate for the lack of dairy in his diet? Can I start giving him the OTC Calcium supplements available in supermarkets?

SearchSquad Thu 30-Jun-11 23:43:41

Another question Lynne - As someone with a strong family history of breast cancer, I have received a lot of advice from people about cancer prevention through diet. One of the most common advice I receive is to avoid soya products and reduce my intake of lentils. Is this true?

neepsntatties Fri 01-Jul-11 05:20:24

Hi Lynne,

I think I am suffering from some kind of ibs type thing. I go through stages of feeling suddenly awful with a terrible headache, crampy and bloated tummy and very bad wind. I just want to go to bed when I feel like that.

I have been to the dr and they didn't know and I can't see a pattern of me reacting to something specific. I know some things don't help like having too much coffee but often it happens and I don't know why and I am not sure what step to take next.

Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now