Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Does anyone have any good experiences with orlistat (Xenicol)

(18 Posts)
Ridgey40 Fri 10-Jun-11 17:30:01

After many months/years of unsuccessful weight loss with diet and exercise my GP and I have decided to give orlistat (Xenicol) a go.

I know about the horrible poos etc but am struggling to find anyone with a positive experience of it.

Is there anyone out their who has done OK with it?

happymole Fri 10-Jun-11 17:50:16

Yes me smile

I lost just under 3 stone with them and have just gone back to them after a gap.

The side effects are evil. This sounds like a lie but is really the truth, I didn't fart for 16 months. I did find however, that it cured my IBS.

They are not for everyone though

Hope this Helps

Tigerbomb Fri 10-Jun-11 17:52:06

Depends on what you mean "ok with it"

I lost a stone - that was ok

I lost it because I became too frightened to eat anything iyswim grin

Ridgey40 Fri 10-Jun-11 18:22:50

Hmmm, well it is good to hear that you have both lost weight but the side effects really do sound as bad as they say.

How did your family feel about living with a farting pooing monster!?

Also, if I get the side effects badly but am out in company and know I really can't risk them is it quite short acting. I know that is not the ideal way to think about it but I am thinking that if I eat a sandwich whilst making a 4 hour drive I might not be able to deal with the consequences of taking an orlistat with the sandwich!

Tigerbomb Fri 10-Jun-11 22:13:29

The side effects depend on what you have eaten. If you eat anything with fat content it means that you should either be wearing bright orange trousers or a nappy for the next couple of days.

I would hardly eat anything for a few days if I knew I was going anywhere. You have very little notice of a "poo explosion". You will fear to fart. Knickers on in bed was also a must.

BUT if you are serious and watch what you eat then it is great and it does work. I did feel though that it worked by threatening me rather than anything else grin

Bearcat Fri 10-Jun-11 22:45:08

Think it gave me the kick start I needed to lose 2.5 stone( had already lost a bit of weight) but as Tigerbomb said i think it scared me into not really eating any or as little fat as possible and I never had a problem.
Only bought about 4 weeks worth though I think.

Vajazzler Sat 11-Jun-11 10:49:43

I have been prescribed this by my GP and its been great. Along with following the weightwatchers plan i have lost 9lb in 4 weeks(would have been more but i had a TOTM gain on week 2).

<<<<<TMI ALERT>>>>> I was a bit 'windy' the first 2 weeks and my poo now is always a red/orange colour and the same distinctive smell. But i havent experienced the exploding oily poo i had previously read about. I think this is because it happens when you eat too much fat but i am desperate to actually lose weight so am eating a sensible diet.

Ridgey40 Sat 11-Jun-11 18:26:30

Well I am on day 2 and have not had any problems - but I agree I think I am terrified about eating any fat! But as long as the weight comes off then hopefully the fear factor will help.

Any ideas as to whether alcohol has fat in it - I know it has calories but does it have any fat?

Tigerbomb Sun 12-Jun-11 21:00:00

I don't drink alcohol so I dont know, Im sorry

The other thing to remember is that Orlistat does not know the difference between "good" fat and "bad" fat. Fat is fat.

I still have two full packs of Orlistat prescribed by my Dr. When I am feeling brave I may try again

Good luck

Ridgey40 Mon 13-Jun-11 08:22:18

I found out - alcohol is fat free!

The weekend was fine, no unpleasant side effects at all, in fact I am a bit worried the orlistate is not working because I don't seem to have noticed anything at all!

2old2beamum Tue 14-Jun-11 19:14:01

Daughter age 21 with Down Syndrome given Orlistat by cardiologist and lost over 3 stone in under a year. Did however have some yucky knickers but she a twigged it helpful to wear a S Towel when out. She is very proud of herself as she can by size 12 clothes. Good luck

tallulahxhunny Tue 28-Jun-11 15:51:40

I have just been prescribed Orlistat.

I'm worried blushsad

Vajazzler Sat 02-Jul-11 15:21:55

What are you worried about TXH?

beba22 Sun 02-Sep-12 14:23:21

i have been on orlistat for about 9 months, along with doing slimming world, i have lost 6 stone, and have had no problems on it, if you do follow the diet and the fat rule you should not have any problems, i still have 3 stone to lose to reach my target, and with the help of sw/orlistat i hope to reach it before xmas, i do excercise too, which helps very much to.
you will only get a bad belly if u eat over the recommended fat

mirry2 Sun 02-Sep-12 14:30:04

I tried orlistat but it didn't have any effect apart from some tummy cramps. I think it was because I eat a low fat diet anyway.

kimlisa46 Wed 12-Sep-12 17:29:31

I've been on this for nearly 3 weeks now - the side effects for me are almost welcome as I suffer from slow transit constipation, sometimes not going for up to two weeks. Trust me, that's worse that going three times a day which I am now - I feel so much better, not bloated, sick or crampy like I am when severely constipated.

I eat a healthy diet anyway, just the occaisonal lapse into cakeville now and again - had one small incident with the leaky orange oil but I had been to a bbq the day before and had some stuff I shouldn't have had so it's my own fault.

The side effects for me are nothing like other people have experienced - im sure if I eat a creamy curry or fried chicken I may feel differently but I'm almost disappointed if my deposits don't have an orange tinge to them - at least that way I know its working. I've lost 12 pound so far but 8 of that was prior to taking orlistat and down to increasing the amount of exercise I do. Gym three times a week, Pilates three times a week and swimming at least twice. I should be a size eight really !!

I find it a a huge struggle to lose weight, 12 pounds since 7th July is quite slow I think although its going in the right directions; I've hit a plateau for the past two weeks so off to Slimming World to start the ball rolling again.

Trace1963 Wed 17-Jun-15 15:26:49

I'm starting slimming world tonight and Dr has given me orlistat to try has anyone done these two together

kellimommy Fri 26-Feb-16 05:38:29

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now