Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Cranberry Juice and reduced menstruation?

(8 Posts)
vintageteacups Wed 01-Jun-11 18:35:49

So without makiing this a TMI thread, I've had heavy, lengthy 8 day periods for the past 6 years (and a 3 week cycle), since having DS (with a about 8 months of normality whilst on the pill during that time).

Last month, I drank cranberry juice during my period (initially to reduce cramp pain) but amazingly, it reduced my period to just 4 days total (and not as heavy). Other than drinking the juice, I'd done nothing different.

So for the next 3 weeks, I drank a glass of cranberry daily.

I was due on Saturday and now it's Wednesday and still pretty much nothing! Just really like the beginning of a period, then slightly red, then nothing.

Anyone else drink cranberry daily and have this effect?

It is strange because when I looked it up, it says it's more likely to increase flow as it's known to thin the blood and cannot be taken with blood clotting drugs, like warferin.

topsi Wed 01-Jun-11 19:13:52

I am not sure. O went through a faze of making my own juice including alot of beetroot and my periods got really heavy. I never knew if the two things were related or not. I have stopped juicing now as my juicer broke and periods are back to normal??????

vintageteacups Wed 01-Jun-11 22:11:44

Thanks Topsi. That sounds like a pretty conclusive experiment. I wiull steer clear of beetroot.

Anyone else? Now panicking a bit in case I'm pregnant! I'm surely not though...well, 99.9 % sure hmm

bluebobbin Wed 01-Jun-11 22:17:19

I thought it thickens the blood. Cranberry juice shouldn't be taken with warfarin because it works against the warfarin, which is trying to thin the blood.

vintageteacups Wed 01-Jun-11 22:20:40

Whoops - think I meant anti-clotting drugs, like warfarin.

So bluebobbin - have you read that cranberry thickens the blood? Can you direct me to a link? I've been searching for ages and have found not a lot.

bluebobbin Wed 01-Jun-11 22:26:38

I have not read it, no. I had to take vit K whilst pregnant in order to thicken my blood and I was told by doc that cranberry juice does the same (think contains vit K).

vintageteacups Wed 01-Jun-11 22:30:51

That's fab, thanks. Will pray I'm not pregnant then grin.

regina2013 Tue 18-Jun-13 14:54:34

yes!! It has just happened to me vintageteacups! I have drunk a lot of cranberry juice because a friend told me that it helped her a lot to alleviate period cramps, but my period came two days ago but it's nothing like my usual periods! I get quite heavy periods and lasting a week at least.. and they are heavy since the very first day. Whether this time it is super light in colour and also it's just a very weak period, like I have no period nearly.. and I am definitely not pregnant.
I'm kind of loving it since I always get awful periods, but at the same time maybe it's not the best thing not to wash your fluids out and get a normal period..

I do think it's because of the cranberry juice though as I have done nothing different and I'm not particularly stressed at the moment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now