Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sore tongue and throat (tongue feels like it's burnt)

(14 Posts)
justthought Tue 26-Apr-11 19:16:39

My DH and I have had a sore tongue for about ten days now - mine started with a sore throat, and tongue. The throat is now better but I feel a bit under the weather and my tongue feels like it's been burnt, basically. DH has ulcers and similar thing on his tongue. My DD who's three has now started complaining of a sore tongue. I just went to see the most patronising doctor, who said it was vitamin C deficiency. I asked him to explain how all three of us could have got vitamin C deficiency in the space of one week (or less) with no change to our diets, and despite the fact that for something like half the week we eat different food (DD at nursery so nearly all her meals during the week are there, DH and I are at work for at least one meal a day)! He couldn't ... but nonetheless, insisted on the diagnosis. I wouldn't mind but we've had this for a while and it's not getting better. Has anyone had something like this? Thanks!

shitmagnet Wed 27-Apr-11 02:40:08

I have just gotten over this myself - it was horrid! It felt I had somehow scalded my tongue on too-hot tea hmm. Also, my throat near the tonsilts and up to the soft palate was red, and down the back of my throat at the sides was also sore. My tongue also looked a bit geographic (angry patches), and if I licked it it tasted slightly acidic (do not ask me know I can do this grin). It finally went away after around three weeks, back to normal now. I'm presuming it was viral. Hope you are all better soon, it was very uncomfortable!

justthought Wed 27-Apr-11 07:19:02

Hi shitmagnet! Thanks for that, so glad it's not just me, that's exactly what it's like. The doctor made me feel like I was one of those crazy ladies who makes things up. Three weeks sounds about right, we're into the second week now.

Grockle Wed 27-Apr-11 07:22:33

Oh, I have this. Plus splitting headache and chills at night. Was just debating going to dr in case it is tonsillitis.

alypaly Thu 28-Apr-11 00:50:36

has he recently been on antibiotics?

SilverSixpence Thu 28-Apr-11 00:57:05

I had this too recently, it was awful for about 10 days then slowly got better. The only thing I had done differently was to use chlorhexidine mouthwash (but tbh can't remember if it started before or after this). There is a condition called burning mouth syndrome which seems to fit in.

BagofHolly Thu 28-Apr-11 23:13:38

I've had this several times and every time it's turned out to be thrush. I get it particularly when I'm pregnant. I was treated with nystan oral drops and/or fluconazole but it also resolves itself too if you can bear to leave it, much the same as thrush downstairs.

rockinhippy Fri 29-Apr-11 13:50:41

Sore burning tongue can thrush & also be a vitamin deficiency sign too - definitely B12 - & Iron too if I remember rightly,

so it could also be down to diet & cleared up as a result of eating the missing vit/minerals

rockinhippy Fri 29-Apr-11 13:52:44

sorry - headache from hell so didn't read your post correctly blush - if its all of you, sounds more like virus or oral thrush

MissBetsyTrotwood Fri 29-Apr-11 20:22:53

We all had something similar last year. Doc thought it was hand foot and mouth (apparently the mouth bit can only be in evidence.) Or oral thrush.

SherlockHolmes Fri 29-Apr-11 20:29:41

I had something where the frenulum (bit that joins your tongue to your mouth) was really sore. Then my tongue felt burnt at times, and slightly numb at others. It was like this on and off for a few weeks and then DD said exactly the same (not knowing about mine). Didn't go to the doc's but I should imagine it was some kind of virus.

didldidi Fri 29-Apr-11 20:31:23

when DH and I had it in the past it was hand, foot and mouth

waxlyrical Sun 01-May-11 21:45:03

I've had this a few times but first time was the worst - I think it is a virus a bit like cold sores which after the initial infection lies dormant and strikes when youre under the weather - really feels like you have burnt your mouth and tongue. Goes away by itself over a few days though.

SWIFTYBIRD Mon 28-Jul-14 11:33:16

Hi can anyone help? Have got sore tongue/ throat and feel slightly under the weather, my grandsons had hand foot and mouth about 6 weeks ago does anyone have any idea if my symptoms are related to this???? Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now