Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Does anyone know what it would cost to get sterilised privately?

(14 Posts)
fanjolina Fri 22-Apr-11 21:44:14

Have been planning to get sterilised for a while. Now facing an imminent move abroad, and won't have time to wait for the op on the NHS.
Does anyone know what it would cost to get sterilised privately? I figure a fair amount due to need for anaesthetist etc.

stealthcat Fri 22-Apr-11 21:48:21

Have you heard of essure? No anaesthetist required for that at least. That is said to cost between $1600-6000 in the USA, I dont know about the UK.

fanjolina Fri 22-Apr-11 21:48:52

Not heard of that, but I will google it - thanks

IngridFletcher Fri 22-Apr-11 21:51:52

My local PCT do not do sterilizations on NHS anymore. It was going to cost nearly 3k to have it done at my nearest private hospital although I do live in an expensive part of the country.

lostlady Fri 22-Apr-11 21:59:55

I am getting Essure on NHS! Not sure when tho,just referred. It usually costs about two grand I think;normal sterilisation about three to four. No GA with Essure either

fanjolina Fri 22-Apr-11 22:00:31

Wow Ingrid, I didn't know the NHS was cutting back on this. Thanks for giving me an indication of cost - that is less than I was anticipating.

Stealthcat - I've now looked into the essure option, and it seems a viable approach. Have emailed them asking for more info. Thanks so much for the tip about essure - I'd never heard of it before (and my GP hadn't suggested it).

lostlady Fri 22-Apr-11 22:07:43

O, my GP hadn't heard of Essure either- hope will be good

fanjolina Fri 22-Apr-11 22:10:54

Ooh lostlady, that is interesting. Can you say what PCT you are under?

lostlady Fri 22-Apr-11 22:26:58

Scotland, maybe different, but persuaded them to do special approval,they were interested as may save them money with others too. Worth a try!

fanjolina Fri 22-Apr-11 22:29:11

Yes, I'll def speak to my GP about it

CarGirl Fri 22-Apr-11 22:31:49

I think you can still get sterilised on the NHS but it depends why you are IYSWIM. Mine was because I needed womb ablation and if you conceive after that it can be fatal!

Perhaps if you can't take any other form of contraception that would help you argue your case?

fanjolina Fri 22-Apr-11 22:44:28

I think my PCT do still offer female sterilisation. We've spoken to our GP about it, and she has said that whilst vasectomies are simpler and easier than female sterilisation, most couples end up with the female being sterilised "because the men are wimps" grin

earthpixie1 Mon 01-Jun-15 18:55:15

Am very interested in essure sterilisation ....have definitely completed my family after 4 sons.....can't use hormonal contraception...so am EXTREMELY limited in choice...what health authorities perform this procedure on the NHS?

hiddenhome Mon 01-Jun-15 19:27:43

I'd only have this done under general anaesthetic. It was very painful when I went in for it as I didn't even get a local and the pain was so bad I had to go home. Horrible experience.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now