Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Can`t pee since 8oclock last night

(75 Posts)
goingroundthebend4 Wed 06-Apr-11 15:56:01

see thread below badback pain for back story

But have not been able to pee since last night really cant go did mention to Gp this morning and he is refering for emergency Mri but no clue when .

How long do i leave it and what should i do

noddyholder Wed 06-Apr-11 16:05:59

Could be a kidney stone they can cause blockage and really bad pain.

goingroundthebend4 Wed 06-Apr-11 16:12:44

the back ain been told is cased by my verterbre?sp collapsing and pressing on disc in my back .The pain is not so mch in my back its in my leg sciatica

newneighbour Wed 06-Apr-11 16:30:22

A and E
today

A and E. Now.

lazydog Wed 06-Apr-11 17:08:44

As the previous couple of posters have said, this is a medical emergency - go to A&E immediately.

If you can't pee, you need to go to A&E. You could get very ill very quickly. How much have you had to drink today? Do you feel the urge to urinate?

TheVisitor Wed 06-Apr-11 17:16:07

Try sitting in warm water in the bath and peeing in there, see if that works. If not, get to the hospital as you'll probably need a catheter.

goingroundthebend4 Wed 06-Apr-11 17:18:48

Am going to A and E trying organise kids ,waiting for my mum to call can't get no answer so guessing she's in dead spot .Will get ds1 to watch them so she can least drive me to and drop of at Aand e don't know anyone else here to ask take me .Just don't want to end up sitting in A and E only way any relief is by lying down

Have drunk plenty good couple of litres mainly because been taking painkillers and they ate not touching this second any weight kneeling ,standing ,sitting runs through my back then it hits really hard .Hard enough make my legs buckle and for me to cry out

goingroundthebend4 Wed 06-Apr-11 17:20:28

Vistor I litterally can not sit at all it's like fireworks going of in my back and down my legs

You poor thing Good luck at the hospital x

alphabill Wed 06-Apr-11 17:23:40

My sil had a problem with her back, similiar to you and she was unable to pee. It was caused by the back problem the slipped disc was preventing her from peeing. You need to go straight to a+e

goingroundthebend4 Wed 06-Apr-11 19:45:43

Well phoned out of hrs Gp and explained to him .He seems fixed in his mind that the 24 hrs of co codmal will have made me constipated as not been since Monday .And reckons constipation is why I can't pee and either go see him (90 min trip each way ) or see my gp in the morning

I know it's not constipation does not feel like it at all and have had co codmol before and not causes constipation but he would not listern . Is there any point even going to A and e will I look silly since the other dr thinks only constipation

I know it's not constipation

WorzselMummage Wed 06-Apr-11 19:47:44

if you cant pee you can do serious damage to your kidneys. Get yourself to A&E.

24 hours without urinating IS NOT GOOD.

WorzselMummage Wed 06-Apr-11 19:50:16
Lulumama Wed 06-Apr-11 19:50:51

A&E now

it is absoulutey not right that you have not been able to urinate

you can get really really ill

go now, you might well need a catheter

Constipation has bugger all to do with peeing. If you've drunk litres of fluids and you are not urinating, then where is all the fluid going?! Call NHS Direct and get some decent medical advice?

belledechocchipcookie Wed 06-Apr-11 19:52:28

You need to go to A&E, whether it's caused by constipation or not. This is serious, they will need to catheterise you to get the urine out as you're at risk of it causing kidney scaring or severe bladder problems. Please go to A&E now.

noddyholder Wed 06-Apr-11 20:01:14

Please go to a and e I have had 2 kidney and know that urine retention can scar even teh healthiest normal kidney Don't wait!

noddyholder Wed 06-Apr-11 20:02:06

2 kidney transplants sorry! Everyone has 2 kidneys smile

lazydog Wed 06-Apr-11 20:04:38

What belledechocchipcookie said! GO TO A&E NOW!!! I had a problem after a c-section where they damaged nerves that meant that I had absolutely no sensation that I needed to pee (thankfully recovered after a few weeks!) but during that time my GP was adamant that I needed to train myself to regularly/frequently go to the loo (which I could do normally - I just had no concept of needing to go) as otherwise I could do myself some serious harm.

tinierclanger Wed 06-Apr-11 20:05:39

Hope you have gone to a and e. Ignore the gp. You need to be catheterised.

It sounds like you are definetly in urinary retention, as you have been drinking ok and not able to pass urine. You need to go to a&e tonight to get this sorted. Do not leave it any longer to get seen. You could be risking damage to your kidneys etc..

I do hope you get sorted, but if you haven't peed since last night there is potentially at least a litre of fluid in your bladder that is going to cause you a lot of pain and discomfort before it is emptied.
Hopefully all you will need is a catheter inserted and your bladder emptied. But please go to a+e tonight.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FannyFifer Wed 06-Apr-11 20:07:57

Goodness, please go to A&E now.

QueenBathsheba Wed 06-Apr-11 20:08:50

One of the more serious side effects of Co-codomal: Urinary system - pain and difficulty in passing urine and a less frequent need to do so, kidney problems

OP if you have time have a quick look at the link.
xpil.medicines.org.uk/ViewPil.aspx?DocID=21112

You need to stop taking Co-codomal and go to A&E.

FannyFifer Wed 06-Apr-11 20:09:44

Have you had bloods taken recently?

25goingon95 Wed 06-Apr-11 21:04:31

Oh my gosh OP i hope you are ok, will be thinking of you tonight. Hope you have gone to A+E i don't think you will be waiting around for long when they find out why you are there!!!

giraffesCantDanceWhileSober Wed 06-Apr-11 21:10:08

hope you there

Buda Wed 06-Apr-11 21:15:26

Sounds v worrying. Hope you are at hosp.

OOH doc sounds positively dangerous.

PaperView Wed 06-Apr-11 21:20:34

Hopefully you have got to A&E.

lazydog Thu 07-Apr-11 03:31:45

I can't stop checking to see if you're ok goingroundthebend4...

I actually want to punch the out of hours doc on your behalf, and your GP is terrible too. When you're feeling up to it I would seriously advise you look for an alternative practice as I'm staggered at their incompetence.

25goingon95 Thu 07-Apr-11 08:02:44

Are you ok goingroundthebend ?

FannyFifer Thu 07-Apr-11 09:37:09

Another one just keeping an eye on this thread and checking in.
Hope all is ok.

happymole Thu 07-Apr-11 13:07:09

bumping

hoping for an update OP. Are you okay? I'm worried

Another bumper.

Knackeredmother Thu 07-Apr-11 22:25:06

Me too, hope you are ok

FannyFifer Fri 08-Apr-11 08:11:41

Another bump this morning.

thumbwitch Fri 08-Apr-11 08:15:01

God, I hope you went to A&E - so dangerous! urine retention is Not Good For You and your GP is frankly insane!

Hope you went and got catheterised and sorted out, you poor thing. And I hope they do something about your collapsed disc so you don't get this again.

Just bumping in case the OP returns.

happymole Fri 08-Apr-11 16:08:55

Bumping once more.

OP, if you can, can you let us know if you're okay?

25goingon95 Fri 08-Apr-11 22:41:13

Still thinking of you OP, actually worrying about you!! Hope you are ok!!

Where is she?

WorzselMummage Sat 09-Apr-11 07:19:04

I would imagine she's been kept it hospital. Urinary retention is serious.

I agree with Worzsel, it is very unlikely that they would have sent her home if she had gone to a+e that night. More likely she has been kept in to treat her retention and investigate why it is happening. So not hearing from her is actually good as it means she is getting the much needed treatment I hope at the hospital.

Please let us know when you can OP how you are.

giraffesCantDanceWhileSober Sun 10-Apr-11 01:37:45

hope she in hosp getting help

CrossWhy Sun 10-Apr-11 21:10:34

As has been said before:

GET YOURSELF TO A&E NOW!

ilovecrisps Mon 11-Apr-11 15:15:27

just looking for an update......
hope OP is OK

Chaotica Mon 11-Apr-11 19:00:39

Good luck, OP. I hope you'll be back in a week or so with the disc removed.

25goingon95 Tue 12-Apr-11 08:53:27

Bumping again, hope you are ok OP.

agedknees Wed 13-Apr-11 16:31:56

Disc problems and inability to urinate is a medical emergency. Hope she had gone to A&E and got it sorted out.

harbingerofdoom Wed 13-Apr-11 16:51:47

Only just seen this thread. I had very similar symptoms back in Nov-it is agony,you can't sit (like labour).
HOPE YOU GOT TO A&E
As it sounds like acute urinary retention a catheter is the only way to relieve the pain. I was kept in for 6 days.
My thoughts are with you OP-hope you feel better soon. If you are in hospital you are in the best place however odd it may seem.
Good Luck

goingroundthebend4 Thu 14-Apr-11 22:25:11

Update

Thank you all .Not been able to Acess Mn till now.But took advice and went to A and E .Seen was catherised urgent Mri because by this time had lost bowel sensation .Dr was sticking pin where no one should have a pin stuck .Asked him when you doing it .He already had (. .Cue lots of panic consultant had MRI results before I had eve. Returned to department 30 mins later .I was in theatre with a very scarey dx

Disc had moved into my spinal cord .Was told if he did not operate I would be permantley paryalised.and that he could not gurantee that I would not be if he did or if would recover bowel/bladder function.
When operated it confirmed disc had punctured my spinal cord .been very very scarey time .Though do have to say the headache from the spinal tear fluid thought top of my head would blow of

But am pleased to say today I moved my Toes !! Small start but is hope and it's now just one day at a time .No promises from Drs that there's not going to be any long term damage but well his grin whe
he was told and then I showed him think might been bigger than mine

suwoo Thu 14-Apr-11 22:28:18

Wowzers! Thank fuck you went when you did. Wishing you luck for a full recovery x

My God going shock I am so, so glad that you got to the hospital and were put in the care of someone who knew what they were doing. I wish you a speedy recovery (and a plague of boils on the arse of the doc who tried to fob you off angry) x

LunaticIsOnTheGrass Thu 14-Apr-11 22:31:33

So glad to hear from you OP.

I have been checking on this thread to see if you had come back.

Thank God you went to A&E when you did.

Really glad to hear you are making some progress - hopefully you will be able to make a good recovery. It must have been very frightening for you. Keep positive smile

so glad you are ok

cant believe your gp is so rubbish

good luck with the recovery

belledechocchipcookie Thu 14-Apr-11 22:35:41

Wow, what a journey for you. I'm so pleased that we nagged you went. Thank you for letting us know. Wishing you a speedy recovery smile

giraffesCantDanceWhileSober Thu 14-Apr-11 22:52:54

keep us updated, look after yourself. hope you recover soon.

FannyFifer Thu 14-Apr-11 23:50:26

Wow, bloody hell thank god you went to A&E.
Wishing you a speedy recovery, yay for your wiggly toe.grin
I hope your Consultant or yourself when you are feeling stronger will be making serious complaints against the useless Dr's who fobbed you off.

Keep us posted.

ViolaTricolor Thu 14-Apr-11 23:53:26

Blimey -- I read this thread at the point where everyone had already urged you to go, so had nothing to add and just fervently wished that someone was looking after you. How utterly terrifying. I am glad you are on the up, and sending you many good wishes for your recovery.

happymole Fri 15-Apr-11 06:50:45

So relieved to read on update going

Keep moving them toes and update us when you can smile

GP was a twat not very good. Constipation angry

I remember a doctor once telling me my stomach pain wasn't real and it was "all in my head". Appendix was ready to pop when a doctor who did believe me operated hmm

QuintessentialShad0ws Fri 15-Apr-11 07:08:54

Good to see your update, I read, but did not post, as you had allready gone to a&e when I got to the end of thread. Been wondering about you. Wishing you a swift recovery and full movement of everything from bowels to toes! smile

Blimey, your GP is a dick! I would complain about that if I were you!

Wishing you a speedy recovery and well done for going to A&E

WorzselMummage Fri 15-Apr-11 08:20:02

Really really glad to see an update

It sounds utterly terrifying, i'm so glad you went when you did!

Yay for wriggling toes!

goingroundthebend4 Fri 15-Apr-11 08:48:56

Bad mistake googling my dx sad during the night .Now I really understand it all sadsad. have started new thread

And yes I will be fileing a full complaint about gp and out of hrs Gp services

Thankyou for keeping us all updated going. I really hope that your recovery will be quick and that you will be home soon. Keep those toes wriggling!

You have had a horrendous time, but in your post you sounded so positive despite what you have been through...you deserve a a big unMn hug!
Keep strong, and post us updates when you can as by the sounds of it you have a lot of people here rooting for you.

X posts!

Stop Googling!! Everyone is so different in the way they their bodies react to health problems etc so you have to try and remain positive. Our bodies can have a miraculous way of healing themselves. You have had your surgery now and you have to take it one day at a time.

Recovery may be slow, but you have to hold on to the fact that you have already proved drs wrong in that they thought you would be paralysed but you can already move your toes! Which is brilliant.

TotalChaos Fri 15-Apr-11 19:15:59

oh gosh you have been through a rough time, best wishes for your recovery, hope you rapidly regain sensation upwards

pinkstarlight Sat 16-Apr-11 16:25:49

just wanted to wish you good luck with your recovery and to say thank goodness you went to hospital when you did.

FannyFifer Mon 18-Apr-11 10:32:26

How you doing GRTB?

25goingon95 Mon 18-Apr-11 13:58:30

Oh my gosh!!! You have had a terrible time!! So sorry to hear this!

Keeping fingers crossed for you that all will be well in time...and stop googling!

Thinking of you, stay strong x

agedknees Mon 18-Apr-11 20:36:49

Was really worried for you. Glad you had the appropriate treatment (finally). Get well soon.

Would def complain about the GP. With your medical history he should have picked up spinal cord compression.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now