Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career ×

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can`t pee since 8oclock last night

(75 Posts)
goingroundthebend4 Wed 06-Apr-11 15:56:01

see thread below badback pain for back story

But have not been able to pee since last night really cant go did mention to Gp this morning and he is refering for emergency Mri but no clue when .

How long do i leave it and what should i do

noddyholder Wed 06-Apr-11 16:05:59

Could be a kidney stone they can cause blockage and really bad pain.

goingroundthebend4 Wed 06-Apr-11 16:12:44

the back ain been told is cased by my verterbre?sp collapsing and pressing on disc in my back .The pain is not so mch in my back its in my leg sciatica

newneighbour Wed 06-Apr-11 16:30:22

A and E
today

A and E. Now.

lazydog Wed 06-Apr-11 17:08:44

As the previous couple of posters have said, this is a medical emergency - go to A&E immediately.

If you can't pee, you need to go to A&E. You could get very ill very quickly. How much have you had to drink today? Do you feel the urge to urinate?

TheVisitor Wed 06-Apr-11 17:16:07

Try sitting in warm water in the bath and peeing in there, see if that works. If not, get to the hospital as you'll probably need a catheter.

goingroundthebend4 Wed 06-Apr-11 17:18:48

Am going to A and E trying organise kids ,waiting for my mum to call can't get no answer so guessing she's in dead spot .Will get ds1 to watch them so she can least drive me to and drop of at Aand e don't know anyone else here to ask take me .Just don't want to end up sitting in A and E only way any relief is by lying down

Have drunk plenty good couple of litres mainly because been taking painkillers and they ate not touching this second any weight kneeling ,standing ,sitting runs through my back then it hits really hard .Hard enough make my legs buckle and for me to cry out

goingroundthebend4 Wed 06-Apr-11 17:20:28

Vistor I litterally can not sit at all it's like fireworks going of in my back and down my legs

You poor thing Good luck at the hospital x

alphabill Wed 06-Apr-11 17:23:40

My sil had a problem with her back, similiar to you and she was unable to pee. It was caused by the back problem the slipped disc was preventing her from peeing. You need to go straight to a+e

goingroundthebend4 Wed 06-Apr-11 19:45:43

Well phoned out of hrs Gp and explained to him .He seems fixed in his mind that the 24 hrs of co codmal will have made me constipated as not been since Monday .And reckons constipation is why I can't pee and either go see him (90 min trip each way ) or see my gp in the morning

I know it's not constipation does not feel like it at all and have had co codmol before and not causes constipation but he would not listern . Is there any point even going to A and e will I look silly since the other dr thinks only constipation

I know it's not constipation

WorzselMummage Wed 06-Apr-11 19:47:44

if you cant pee you can do serious damage to your kidneys. Get yourself to A&E.

24 hours without urinating IS NOT GOOD.

WorzselMummage Wed 06-Apr-11 19:50:16
Lulumama Wed 06-Apr-11 19:50:51

A&E now

it is absoulutey not right that you have not been able to urinate

you can get really really ill

go now, you might well need a catheter

Constipation has bugger all to do with peeing. If you've drunk litres of fluids and you are not urinating, then where is all the fluid going?! Call NHS Direct and get some decent medical advice?

belledechocchipcookie Wed 06-Apr-11 19:52:28

You need to go to A&E, whether it's caused by constipation or not. This is serious, they will need to catheterise you to get the urine out as you're at risk of it causing kidney scaring or severe bladder problems. Please go to A&E now.

noddyholder Wed 06-Apr-11 20:01:14

Please go to a and e I have had 2 kidney and know that urine retention can scar even teh healthiest normal kidney Don't wait!

noddyholder Wed 06-Apr-11 20:02:06

2 kidney transplants sorry! Everyone has 2 kidneys smile

lazydog Wed 06-Apr-11 20:04:38

What belledechocchipcookie said! GO TO A&E NOW!!! I had a problem after a c-section where they damaged nerves that meant that I had absolutely no sensation that I needed to pee (thankfully recovered after a few weeks!) but during that time my GP was adamant that I needed to train myself to regularly/frequently go to the loo (which I could do normally - I just had no concept of needing to go) as otherwise I could do myself some serious harm.

tinierclanger Wed 06-Apr-11 20:05:39

Hope you have gone to a and e. Ignore the gp. You need to be catheterised.

It sounds like you are definetly in urinary retention, as you have been drinking ok and not able to pass urine. You need to go to a&e tonight to get this sorted. Do not leave it any longer to get seen. You could be risking damage to your kidneys etc..

I do hope you get sorted, but if you haven't peed since last night there is potentially at least a litre of fluid in your bladder that is going to cause you a lot of pain and discomfort before it is emptied.
Hopefully all you will need is a catheter inserted and your bladder emptied. But please go to a+e tonight.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FannyFifer Wed 06-Apr-11 20:07:57

Goodness, please go to A&E now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now