Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

MRI scan and a wedding ring which won't come off, help!

(11 Posts)
mermaidspurse Sun 03-Apr-11 22:41:14

I am having a major panic, tried butter, olive oil, fairy liquid cold peas. the ring just won't come off.

It is a cervical spine scan so does it matter? Will I have to let dh cut my ring offsad

can't find the leaflet but know i have to wear tracksuit type clothes etc.

Help.

ChishAndFips Sun 03-Apr-11 22:45:12

I had an MRI last year and I kept mine on... the technician lady said it ws fine because gold isn't magnetic. What metal is yours? I think only nickel, iron and cobalt are magnetic so unless it's made from one of them - unlikely?! - you should be allowed to leave it on.

There was no way in hell I was going to remove mine!

I've taken mine off but I don't know that I had to. Another approach to get it off would be to wait a while as your finger is probably quite cross. Then put your hand above your head for a while. Then wrap some string tightish around your finger - one layer only so that you recreate the thread on a screw. leave it for a short while, remove the string and then you hopefully will be able to unscrew the ring from your finger.

worst comes to worst, go along to your mri wearing your ring. They may well be able to position your hand so it doesnt intefere at all. let us know how it goes.

SarkyLady Sun 03-Apr-11 22:47:03

gold is fine.

Assuming it is real!

follyfoot Sun 03-Apr-11 22:49:21

I think you will be allowed to keep it on.

mermaidspurse Mon 04-Apr-11 07:44:34

Thankyou all so much for your replies. My finger is cross,very descriptive badkitten

So as long as my ring didn't come out of a cracker it should be fine.

I had put the whole thing to the back of my mind because the scan worried me. Thanks heaps.

ninedragons Mon 04-Apr-11 07:56:43

If you do have to take it off, try a squirt of Windex on your finger.

I don't know why it works, but it does.

mermaidspurse Mon 04-Apr-11 08:04:17

windex? wow, am picturing you sitting in front of the kitchen sink cupboard trying everything and anythingsmile

milkjetmum Mon 04-Apr-11 17:44:59

Theres a ribbon trick you can do, wind a ribbon around your finger starting at the tip and moving towards the ring, this will compress your finger down - keep holding the ribbon in place. Then get someone to help you feed the end of the ribbon under your ring. Once that is done unwind the ribbon from the ring end - and the ring should go with it.

If your finger is sore best to try this when your hand has recovered a bit, or run it under cold water to try and reduce any swelling before you start. Good luck!

mermaidspurse Mon 04-Apr-11 18:15:24

Just reporting that thankfully mn was right and my ring did not come out of a cracker.
The noise in those machines is stupendous, head still ringing and all helpful suggestions gratefully received.

SarkyLady Mon 04-Apr-11 19:41:41

Good news about your ring

Hope you are also ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now