Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I have a cut/split at the top of my bum crack, can anyone help?

(17 Posts)
starsandstripes Sat 29-Jan-11 23:01:53

I've tried googling and have had a few answers ranging from possible STI to just the skin getting sore from too much water or sweat sitting in that area after the shower or during the day.

I've put sudo creme on it and may go to the dr.s on Monday depending on replies on here..

It's like a small scratch or tear right at the top of my bum.

All help appreciated

YeahWhatevah Sat 29-Jan-11 23:03:02

pilonidal sinus. Google.

Scrupulous hygeine and it'll probbaly be ok.

starsandstripes Sat 29-Jan-11 23:03:51

The shower possiblity would make sense as I have to dry myself and get dressed quickly having two small ds's but It's always been that way so not sure why it's just happened now?

LeChatRouge Sat 29-Jan-11 23:04:18

Sorry to hear that.

Did it just appear or is it an injury?

Have you looked in the mirror? Is it on your skin?

Could you have accidently scratched it whilst asleep?

Saltire Sat 29-Jan-11 23:06:40

I googled what yeahwhateva said. I ahve got a small dimple at the base of my spine which is covered in dark hairs! I did panic a bit then realised it was a different thing altogether

starsandstripes Sat 29-Jan-11 23:12:57

I googled and doesn't sound like that's what it is.

The best way I can describe it as a small slit/ cut in the top of my bum, I supose the way skin craks when really dry...?

I'm not over weight at all, I don't suffer from any skin conditions. (oh and i'm female if that makes any difference?)

Also I have been with dp for 5 years and I have been 100% faithful and would like to think he has also. So STI thing very low if not at all!

starsandstripes Sat 29-Jan-11 23:13:23

*cracks

starsandstripes Sat 29-Jan-11 23:15:08

I just noticed it tonight as it was sore when I sat doen so had a look in the mirror and noticed the cut/split. I don't think i've scratched it.

LemonDifficult Sat 29-Jan-11 23:16:06

Lansinoh

iamabadger Sat 29-Jan-11 23:16:14

Go to your GP, it could be nothing but could also be the start of a pilondal sinus. I'm a surgical nurse, and believe me it's much better to head them off at the pass with antibiotics (if needed) than to ignore hem and rsk them getting worse. Scrupulous hygiene can help prevent them, but they can also be caused by an ingrowing hair, not just sweat/dirt. If left they turn into abcesses, hence the antibiotics.

starsandstripes Sat 29-Jan-11 23:29:38

iamabadger I will make and appointment on monday. I've just read up more on pilondal sinus and really hope It isn't that as it's the last thing I need at the moment.

I shower or bathe once/twice daily, so will just have make sure that area is dry and keep it clean.

CaptainNancy Sat 29-Jan-11 23:32:38

I've had this when spending huge amounts of time sitting down (breastfeeding)- bathing everyday and trying not to sit down so much made it go away.
Hope it's nothing nasty.

iamabadger Sun 30-Jan-11 00:09:27

Good luck! If it is a sinus, it doesn't sound very bad yet so try not to worry! And the staff will have seen loads of them, I know I have!

elvisgirl Sun 30-Jan-11 08:03:40

I have this - am in Australia & put it down to irritation from sweating, how very charming...Don't wear a thong or a G-string. You might be able to get some anti-chafing gel,cream or powder over the counter from a chemist to prevent it happening in future if you think it might come back.

Lyn20560 Sun 20-Nov-16 20:29:00

Yes I'm actually having the same complaint about my itchy bum crack I try keep it dry wen I'm sweaty it feels uncomfortable and wen I smell it it's an unpleasant smell

Frouby Sun 20-Nov-16 20:33:59

I had this. It went with sudo creme and scrupulous hygiene. So I showered twice a day, made sure it was washed even though it was stingy and a thin layer of cream.

I am ashamed to say I think mine was caused by being too fat. It did give me an incentile to lose weight though. Every cloud and all that.

Footle Mon 21-Nov-16 21:29:25

Zombie thread

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now