Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What the hell is this throat/coughing bug that's going about?

(180 Posts)
Beauregard Mon 13-Dec-10 21:29:41

My lungs and stomach hurt from days of coughing

scarletbegonia Mon 13-Dec-10 21:35:49

Mine too and your name is most apt at the moment. I'm in bed with a lemsip already.

PaxoIsEvil Mon 13-Dec-10 21:37:49

Apparently it's seasonal flu. I went down with it 19 days ago. I feel ok in myself now, but am still hacking up my lungs at regular intervals. Oh, and I've popped a rib with all my hacking. DS1 has just gone down with it

activate Mon 13-Dec-10 21:39:42

I've had flu jab and have been coughing for 2 months now - but still clear / white crap coming up so no antibiotics warranted

is there a cure?

omnietyinstables Mon 13-Dec-10 21:41:44

Its weird, both dcs have had it - dd very badly indeed with temps of 40 etc but dh and I have escaped - is it still flu if it can pick and choose like that? <shows no awareness of how illness works>

PaxoIsEvil Mon 13-Dec-10 21:42:49

My doc says no. She kept her distance, asked what colour the crap was that I was coughing up, and then banished me. She did recommend a linctus though to ease the cough (was coughing in spasms and wheezy). She used the hand gel antibacterial stuff before I'd even got up to leave. I thought that was very telling.

headfairy Mon 13-Dec-10 21:43:30

both my dcs have it, no fever but two weeks of hacking coughs. I've had the humidifier in dd's room for so many nights now I think the plaster is all going to fall off the walls!

PaxoIsEvil Mon 13-Dec-10 21:43:39

It's lying in wait, omniety. The bastard thing lets you think it's gone and then....it returns.

BecauseItoldYouSo Mon 13-Dec-10 21:44:21

My DD had it got rid of it passed it to the whole family. We all suffered and got rid of it. Then DD got it again, got rid of it again and now we are in for ROUND 3!!! angry

Please go away and don't come back again, leave my poor DD alone she has had more than her share!!

5ElvesMooningSanta Mon 13-Dec-10 21:45:32

DH and I had to get the GP to come out today as we have both been knocked sidewards with it. Day 8 now sad. I've got a chest infection but DH just has the flu. Both of us were vomitting phlegm this morning.

Luckily DC don't seem to have anything other than coughs.

Flu is quite picky actually because the basic strains have been around for years, except H1N1 obv. So some people do have natural immunity. Lucky buggers. Having said it doesn't always contract at first exposure so you can be walking around feeling smug for a week only to be hit with it later.

It's six weeks on average before the cough that comes with the flu completely clears.

I'm fed up of blowing green goo and red goo out of my nose every five minutes and so much of it as well, you'd think I was 90% snot hmm

PaxoIsEvil Mon 13-Dec-10 21:47:29

Oh joy. Only three more weeks to go then <grumpy at this stage>

IlanaK Mon 13-Dec-10 21:49:04

Interesting. All three of my kids got a variation of this. Totally wiped out and fever for a few days. Loss of appetite. Lots of snot and cough. DH just got a cold and I got nothing. all our friends and their children have also had it. Most worse than us. I assumed it was not flu as I thought when you had real flu you would literally be unable to get put of bed.

omnietyinstables Mon 13-Dec-10 21:49:48

6 weeks? Bloody hell, poor dd sad

indiechick Mon 13-Dec-10 21:50:36

Six weeks? I'm on week four. Although thanks to a vomiting and diarrhoea bug on top of the coughing at the weekend I've now quit smoking (literally could not get out of bed for 24 hours so no chance to get outside for a fag), do we think that will help or hinder? I also have to de-snot every morning on waking, it's clear but there's so much of it and I'm deaf as well due to muchus. Is there much point even going to the docs?

I have it too, had it over a week now. So does DD3. I just wish it would go away - five more weeks you say. shock

Beauregard Mon 13-Dec-10 21:52:46

Mine started with me losing my voice and feeling a bit icky then this cough started fri and hasnt budged since.dd2 has had the cough for 2 weeks and dp and dd1 have it mildly.None of us had a fever though.
Everyone seems to have it or has had it,and i can even hear our neighbours coughing.

omnietyinstables Mon 13-Dec-10 21:52:56

I was going to ask that indiechick - about the doctors I mean, how do you know with the coughing when it might have set into the lungs properly iyswim.

And does this mean that dd is/has been really infectious?

Ingles2 Mon 13-Dec-10 21:53:10

we've got it too..
ds1 has been unwell for a good week. ds2 has been hacking away for about 3 / 4 days
I couldn't move over the weekend and today I've no voice, and a nose that's running like a tap!
We feel TERRIBLE!
<cough>

PaxoIsEvil Mon 13-Dec-10 21:53:37

If it makes the afflicted feel any better, I only felt really rough for the first few days. Then I was just knackered and sore from all the coughing (the headache was vile, as was the sore throat/sinus pain). As of day 14 I've felt better in myself, just the odd gobful of phlegm (sorry).

PaxoIsEvil Mon 13-Dec-10 21:54:57

My doc told me that as long as I wasn't coughing up green stuff, antibiotics wouldn't work. She seemed quite keen to see the back of me tbh. Hang on, I'll get the linctus.

PaxoIsEvil Mon 13-Dec-10 21:56:09

Ok, it's called pholcodine linctus, and I had to ask the pharmacist for it. Tastes vile, but did allow me to sleep.

Beauregard Mon 13-Dec-10 21:57:34

Was that prescribed Paxo?

FiveColdRingsForSolo Mon 13-Dec-10 21:57:35

Ds has it again <sigh>

Jellykat Mon 13-Dec-10 21:57:53

Oh this is good to read, i've had this for 2 weeks now, and occasionally cough so violently, i wee myself (never had that trouble before!).

Went to docs who said lungs were clear (good!) but asked about Asthma.. I've never had Asthma, but my dad died of it- So i got freaked out!.In the end doc decided it was viral,.. Glad there are other wheezers out there!

Beauregard Mon 13-Dec-10 21:58:24

ah just seen you had to ask for it
Will go ask myself in the morning

PaxoIsEvil Mon 13-Dec-10 21:59:36

Doc said she'd have given it to me on prescription, but was cheaper to buy. Think it was £1.29.

indiechick Mon 13-Dec-10 22:02:51

I've got that, have taken some tonight. It's good stuff, the only thing that seems to stop the coughing. I think I'll leave the docs then.

christmasheave Mon 13-Dec-10 22:02:54

Not just us then? DH the DCs and I seem to be taking it in turns to come down with something over the last 5 weeks or so. Last night was DSs turn to have a high temp and the week before it was DD. Its a nightmare.

Yep, here too. DS seems to have had a hacking cough for the last 2 weeks, DD following closely behind - I spent the weekend with a feverish toddler clamped to me sad. Oh and she combined hacking cough with vomiting up mucus, yuk!

dikkertjedap Mon 13-Dec-10 22:14:44

If you cough up something green it is viral, if you cough up something yellow it is bacterial. Generally if you are really coughing something up it is better not to use pholcodeine as it suppresses the cough and hence the phlegm stays in your lungs, not what you want.

I have had this for several months now (asthmatic) and it is finally getting less bad, dd had it to. The only things which helped me were:
- over the counter anti-histamine (like loratadine) which I take at the moment daily
- beconase in the morning and evening
- otrivin spray in the morning and evening
- sleeping as upright as possible
- humidifier switched on during whole night
- sipping warm tea (have thermosflask next to bed ...)
- Manuka honey
- and I have to take asthma inhalers of course.

GP wanted me to take prednisolone (which suppresses immune system, not what I want at present ...)as she thought it was asthma. I have had asthma for more than 20 years and am certain that it is not asthma. I think (at least what I have) is horrible post nasal drip, I have a very blocked nose, and it is so bad that I had to vomit many many times a day (basically coughing attack ending up in vomitting), GP first didn't believe it, but as it happened I had an attack whilst I was there .. grin

RockinRobinBird Mon 13-Dec-10 22:19:05

I'm on week 3 and the cough has gone from a phlegmy one to a tickly one. Am exhausted and on my second lot of antibiotics. Have been off work for three weeks and am bored and fed up.

OhYouSnowySnowyKitten Mon 13-Dec-10 22:27:34

pandemic h1n1 is back I'm afraid.

prettymum Mon 13-Dec-10 22:30:33

i came down with fever and aches and pains all over body thursday night. Have been in bed since, and since yesterday my nose and eyes have been running like a tap and today im coughing away and its starting to get chesty! im trying to avoid coughing as it really hurts!

Beamur Mon 13-Dec-10 22:32:17

I feel less alone! Have had a horrible cold and now a hacking cough which feels like I'm trying to cough up something sticky from my lungs. My head is throbbing from all the coughing.

Lcy Mon 13-Dec-10 22:35:51

I came down with this cough/flu thing last week - the day after having a c-section. I can not describe how horrific it is after abdominal surgery.

Poor DD has been suffering with the cough for 2 weeks now and doctor says there is nothing they can do. Baby DS and husband have escaped it so far.

poorbuthappy Mon 13-Dec-10 22:35:55

My sinus' are filling up as we speak.
DD1 has croup.
DTs have just normal coughs.
DH is ok.

But I can literally feel my nose starting to run! Oh joy, I hoped I would get it over and down with before christmas!

indiechick Mon 13-Dec-10 22:40:09

God Lcy, it must be an absolute nightmare after a c-section. My stomach muscles (such as they are after two c-sections) are in agony as are my ribs. What is working for you?

StayFrosty Mon 13-Dec-10 22:44:34

Oh this is horrible. We've all had it and like a pp i can hear our next door neighbours hacking away as well. Nasty.

Lcy Mon 13-Dec-10 22:44:35

I couldn't take anything for cough because breastfeeding but inhaled eucaluptos in boiling water (towel over head) every few hours and that really helped. I feel much better now but can't walk fast without having a coughing fit! Poor DD is up all night coughing so with that and baby permanently on boob I am an exhausted wreck.

musicposy Tue 14-Dec-10 00:31:14

I feel better in a way knowing there are others the same. I started coughing just under a week ago. Thought I was getting better but today I have cold symptoms on top. Have been living on lemsip and feel really awful. My stomach and ribs hurt so much from coughing. Sometimes I'm coughing so much it makes me actually sick which I've never had before. Will stay on this thread for tips! Please tell me I won't feel this awful forever. It's my birthday tomorrow and I've had to cancel the family get together. sad

KalokiMallow Tue 14-Dec-10 00:38:03

I had it, got better; then DH got it and passed it back.

Really struggling to shift it now. Had it over a month. I've got chronic upper back pain, and this cough is really aggravating it.

feelingafailure Tue 14-Dec-10 04:17:56

poor u.when i am ill i get deaf ears.i had a cough recently and was wondering why my stomach hurt.u would think i had been doing 2000 press ups.not fun being ill.hope u all get better soon.xx

Sukie1971 Tue 14-Dec-10 04:44:53

I'm on week six and still in need of Tenaladys! Nice to know I'm not alone.

lowrib Tue 14-Dec-10 05:26:37

It's so annoying! Just got up in search of cought sweets, because I've been coughing and haven't bloody slept all night.

It's alright when I'm mnetting sitting up, it's just when I lie down that it's constant.

Sukie1971 6 weeks! You poor thing. I really hope that's not typical.

DS has it too.

Oh no. I see lots of you have had it for ages. Bugger! This really isn't fun sad

lowrib Tue 14-Dec-10 05:28:37

dikkertjedap I understand what you're saying about not working against your body, but my cough is completely dry and pholcodeine linctus really works! <mental note, must get some tomorrow>

My good mate has chronic asthma which presents itself as a cough rather than a wheeze, and swears by it. It would be OK to take at night, to help me sleep wouldn't it?

Your symptoms sound horrible BTW sad

lowrib Tue 14-Dec-10 07:51:10

So, if this lasts for weeks, will we be infectious for all of it?

Sorry, at 35 you'd think I'd have worked this out by now! But if anyone could enlighten me I'd be very grateful.

We're meant to be visiting lots of people over Christmas including elderly relatives and little ones. Will we be spreading this to them? We will have to rethink at least some of it if so.

DS has had it 2 weeks so far, and I've had it a week. DP is sick too, but no coughing so I;d assumed it's something else.

Katz Tue 14-Dec-10 07:58:41

We've all got it here too. Dd2 started with it and she kindly shared. Have felt utter pants with it still coughing over a week later. Chest hurts lungs hurt in fact everything hurts. Just hope it's gone for Christmas.

PaxoIsEvil Tue 14-Dec-10 09:16:03

I was recommended to take the pholcodeine only at night. Literally couldn't lie down without it. Steam inhalation did help with the blocked sinuses/ears, but the cough was definitely the worst bit. It is gradually easing, but is always worse first thing in the morning. Bleurgh.

Beauregard Tue 14-Dec-10 10:33:59

Another night of no sleep heresad
I cannot stop coughing
Hopefully the Pholcodeine will work when i get some for tonight

Beauregard Tue 14-Dec-10 10:34:40

lowrib-I am worried about being infectious too

lowrib Tue 14-Dec-10 10:40:32

Pholcodine linctus is the one! I recommend boots own brand.

I'd recommend getting some Jakeman's Honey, Lemon and Menthol cough sweets. (Yellow, traditional packaging, available in most chemists / supermarkets). I finally managed to get some sleep at about 6 this morning after eating 3 of them grin. DS woke up coughing at 7 sad

lowrib Tue 14-Dec-10 10:41:14

So does anyone know how it works? How do we know if we're likely to be infectious or not, if we've had it for weeks?

Beauregard Tue 14-Dec-10 10:44:01

ooh i have some of those cough sweets in the cupboard.
Not sure how this infectious thingy works?

PaxoIsEvil Tue 14-Dec-10 10:44:10

I think that it's very infectious, and considering the amount of mucus that goes flying there's not much you can do about it beyond the obvious covering your mouth, washing your hands, avoiding vulnerable people etc. It certainly seems to be sweeping through communities. Although I'm no medical expert.

lowrib Tue 14-Dec-10 10:47:06

I thought with flu you were infectious at the beginning (or even before symptoms show) but then not towards the end. Or am I making that up?!

I really should know this stuff now I'm a mum <makes mental note to read up on this stuff>

gorionine Tue 14-Dec-10 10:49:15

Had it here as well. Now DD1 is coghing her entrailssad every bit of the body aches. She is feeling so low that she does not even refuse to dring boiled ginger lemon and honey anymore even though it is an awful awful drink (did me good though so hopping it will work on her too).

PaxoIsEvil Tue 14-Dec-10 10:49:47

Haven't a clue. With some viruses aren't you infectious before symptoms develop? confused I just try not to fire phlegm at anyone <note the 'try'>

Crazycatlady Tue 14-Dec-10 11:05:28

Coughing up a lung here too. Not fun at 30wks PG. DD has had it too and has been really clingy. It's the lingering of the virus I can't stand. A day or two of being ill, fine. Over a week, bored now... am having to work from home again today as I just feel absolutely rotten angry

You are infectious before you have symptoms but bugger all you can do about that.

But once you have symptoms it's generally five days.

upahill Tue 14-Dec-10 12:12:40

This is the first time I have been ill in years. I am off work because my job is very physical at times and even walking from the living room to the kitchen is getting my heart racing.

My throat feels like it has just got sandpaper on it. Oh and my brain is trying to pop out of my skull it is throbing that much!

PaxoIsEvil Tue 14-Dec-10 12:18:28

Stay in the warm, upahill. Duvet day recommended.

Weegle Tue 14-Dec-10 12:39:59

DS (4) currently on Day 5 - and I am in no doubt he's got flu. He's never been this ill. Fever, sweats, chills, vomitting mucous, won't eat, "everything hurts mummy" and the most bloody awful cough.

DTD2 (1 next week) has just come down with it today. Guess it's only a matter of time before DTD1 follows. That'll be their birthday a right off. sad

Feeling really down in the dumps with it. My arthritis is playing up from a cold I've had and I've got one very poorly child, one getting pretty poorly baby, and one other baby who is destroying the house whilst I try to deal with the ill two. What a barrel of laughs!

SnowyBriar Tue 14-Dec-10 12:40:26

3 DC's (10 y/o +) and DH all had this bloomin' bug, had all three DC's and DH home on consecutive weeks a whole month of it! I am awaiting my turn.

Anyhoo, things that worked here for the cough were sudafed during the day, piriton at night and ibruprofen for ribs aching also chewing gum to open ear canals, sinus and help clear the gunk.

For us the coughs were snot dripping and ear blocking related.

Really deep continuous coughing but no rattles.

Hope this helps someone!

It's a horrible bug.

numptysmummy Tue 14-Dec-10 14:47:04

We're gunk free here but feverish, coughing and aching so much that i was in tears with the pain in my back last night. One of the little numptys started with it on fri and now we all have it. I have never ached so much before. Apparently the local version has sickness as well. Waiting for that joy to begin. Does anyone know if it's swine flu?

indiechick Tue 14-Dec-10 14:58:49

Went to docs, turns out mine is an ear infection and possible asthma. Got antibiotics and some salbutamol. Kids okay today although still coughing at night. Have asked mother not to visit this week as I feel awful but she's coming anyway, gee thanks, 'cos I feel like visitors at this point.

Weegle - if you have arthritis it's really important to keep an eye on your symptoms as flu viruses can trigger nasty bouts of reactive arthritis (which is only temporary). Seek medical help if you get a lot worse.

Ingles2 Tue 14-Dec-10 21:40:39

I actually feel like I'm dying <slightly dramatic>
I had 1 hours sleep last night with uncontrollable shaking and a temp of 40+. my nose is running constantly and when I cough I wet myself
blush
so I'm on full quantities of nurofen and paracetamol. Not that it's doing anything but that's ok isn't it?

Beauregard Tue 14-Dec-10 22:04:00

Well and truly fecked off with this cough now
Have coughed and now my jaw has dislodged again so back to square one with the TMJsad

Weegle Tue 14-Dec-10 22:22:19

whomovedmychocolate - thank you. I wondered if that was what was happening, but I've been so preoccupied with DS being so unwell I haven't been able to stop to think about myself. I'm taking the highest strength anti-inflammatories I've got in 'stock' but am starting to wonder if I need to go and get a steroid shot. I feel so crap sad

ingles - hello there smile - yes dose up fully on paracetamol and ibuprofen - you'd probably find if you stopped taking them that you'd notice they are doing something. Also if the cough is really causing problems at night you could take pholcodeine for one night (even if you need to cough stuff up) just to get some sleep. I've done that before and it's helped. and sounds like you need to drink lots. Hope you get better soon.

DuffyMoon Tue 14-Dec-10 22:25:26

another one signing in....its not only the coughing that is wearing me down......its the other effects the constant violent exertions are having on my (obviously none existant) pelvic floor blush

grendel Tue 14-Dec-10 22:47:49

Oh yes, me too:

- Coughing so hard ribs ache
- Total loss of control of pelvic floor
- Lack of appetite
- Nose simply flowing non-stop - I've given up blowing and just wedge a bit of tissue up there (lovely image)
- Head throbbing and just unbearable when I cough
- Creeping around to avoid any exertion, and whispering rather than talking, and avoiding laughing, just so that I don't trigger another unbearable coughing fit.

All of which is why I will be working at home tomorrow. I ain't going out in public like this.

(But must sneak out somehow to buy this fabulous Pholcadine that everyone's talking about.)

Only on day 3 - appalled at how far I have to go!

Iwasthefourthwiseman Tue 14-Dec-10 23:08:06

Dh has farangitis and has been rough since Thursday. Still no sign of getting better.

MrsKitty Tue 14-Dec-10 23:23:41

Yes, I've got it too, and it's rendered me practically incontinent blush sad.

DD (15mths) has it too. Took her to the GP this morning but didn't think to make an appointment for me too. DD's been given Antib's, GP wouldn't check me over as "I didn't have an appointment for myself" hmm and just said to come back in few days if still bothering me.

alypaly Tue 14-Dec-10 23:57:38

if pholcodeine doesnt work try ipecacuahna and morphine mixture, a really old fashioned remedy for coughs which really works.

MrsKitty Wed 15-Dec-10 00:00:29

Anyone know if I can take this Pholocodeine stuff whilst breastfeeding?

I'm guessing not...?

alypaly Wed 15-Dec-10 00:13:27

here is the patient info leafletwww.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/21073/PIL/Pholco dine+Linctus+BP/

codeine is absorbed slightly into breast milk so i would speak to your GP

MrsKitty Wed 15-Dec-10 00:21:45

Thanks Alypaly.

She's 15 months and was only on 2 feeds a day, but she's not well either so has ramped up the number of feeds.

GraceAwayInAManger Wed 15-Dec-10 00:26:12

I'm cheesed off with this thing, too. Am taking Night Nurse, which at least grants a few hours' of uninterrupted sleep!

Blimey, alypaly, can you still get ipecac & morphine? Before reading this thread, I also thought codeine linctus had been banned ... must abolish those visions of morphia bliss from my sleep-starved brain!

<swallows Night Nurse with wine, an acceptable subsitute>

Weegle take the steroid shot - honestly in three days you will start to feel much better. No point in letting it linger.

mammya Wed 15-Dec-10 08:31:57

I've got this too, and weirdly it's making me feel better to know I'm not the only one having to deal with horrible hacking cough, lost voice, aching throat, weak pelvic floor etc

My dd had it a couple of weeks ago and kindly passed it onto me... She's much better now but still coughing, although not so much.

What's helping: cough linctus, I have Benylin dry cough original (good for nighttime as it causes drowsiness) and Robitussin non-drowsy for daytime. Basically any cough-suppressant linctus will help with a dry cough. Also Hals mentho-lyptus are really helping.

Wishing you all (and myself smile) a speedy recovery!

domesticsluttery Wed 15-Dec-10 09:26:01

Another one getting over flu here.

DS1 had it first, and it is the most ill I have ever seen him. He is a really energetic 8 year old, and for 3 or 4 days he literally couldn't get out of bed. It was quite scary.

Of course the little darling then shared it with me grin

Day 1 wasn't too bad, just feeling shaky and clammy and a bit dizzy. But days 2,3 and 4 I couldn't get out of bed. My temperature was sky high, I was throwing up even water, hallucinating... really, really ill. On days 5 and 6 I started getting a bit better, although still running a temperature and if I did any more than the absoloute minimum I was wiped out again. On day 9 now and the temperature has gone down but I still have a splitting headache and the cough and don't really want to eat. I have lost over a stone in weight.

Ironically I had to cancel my flu jab because I had the flu!

Am hoping that it clears up properly as last time I had flu 2 years ago I went down with pneumonia about 6 weeks later and spent a week in hospital on IV antibiotics and oxygen.

dikkertjedap Wed 15-Dec-10 12:06:30

I agree that pholcodeine is brilliant in suppressing coughs, but I would still be careful and maybe check with pharmacist especially when you have a productive cough and/or are taking anti-biotics or have asthma.

PaxoIsEvil Wed 15-Dec-10 19:36:42

Just been back to the doc after coughing got worse. It appears I have pleurisy bordering on pneumonia. Which sounds satisfyingly medieval.

Katz Wed 15-Dec-10 19:42:32

still feeling rough, been nearly 2 week now, not sure at which point i contact a doctor though. Coughing loads still, lost voice most of the time, snot now bright yellow (nice!). Pelvic floor is now totally non existant too - yuck.

Gah!!

Katz Wed 15-Dec-10 19:43:16

is everyone else really thirsty too?

got it here too. DS's had vomiting bug followed by snot last week. I had had a cough for two weeks prior to that, then got their bug, now we all have hideious cold like symptoms, aches, shivers and general feeling of crapness. Have got so much to do, and just want to curl up somewhere under a duvet.

Jellykat Wed 15-Dec-10 20:38:23

shock Paxo!!..Hope the antibiotics work fast, that's severe- Keep warm,lot's of rest,liquid etc

I'm almost glad to be just coughing,wheezing, and weeing myself! week 3 now, but no flu symptoms.Reckon there's two types of lurgy on here..

A big 'Get well soon' message to all!

musicposy Wed 15-Dec-10 23:38:50

Katz I'm drinking gallons and I'm still thirsty.

I'm putting it down to dehydration caused by the phlegm/ snot coming out of every orifice grin

Mumbybumby Wed 15-Dec-10 23:48:41

Is it the flu?! I've been ill for about 2 weeks now and cough shows no sign of going. Can't take anything as I'm 31 weeks pg
DD has it far worse and has had a v high temp for about 4 days.
DP has got away with no symptoms at all and initially was unsure whether me and DD (20 months) were actually as ill as we seemed!
Bloody cheek!
Get well soon everyone x

PaxoIsEvil Thu 16-Dec-10 12:50:33

Just back from a chest xray and waiting to hear whether I'll need to be admitted If you get pain in your chest or start coughing up foul tasting stuff, please get to your GP forthwith.

alypaly Thu 16-Dec-10 20:30:22

codeine linctus has been black listed for GP's to prescribe. occasionally you will find a chemist that will sell it, but pholcodeine is the nearest thing. you can still buy ipecac and morphine. got 2 bottles at the same time from my local chemist as i was dying from so much coughing.

dont use codeine/pholcodeine for a productive cough( its to suppress a tickly cough)...you need an expectorant but check with your own meds first

musicposy Thu 16-Dec-10 22:09:20

Oh Paxo, hope you are OK. x

Hassledge Thu 16-Dec-10 22:12:13

My DD (grown up) is coughing like she has something alive in her lungs - I didn't realise it was doing teh rounds.

Hope you're OK, Paxo. And everyone else - a general Get Well Soon .

robino Thu 16-Dec-10 22:27:38

I have found friends! Am 31 weeks pregnant so not been able to take anything, DH been away for 12 days, DD1 came down with it first, I followed swiftly after, both just about over it after a week although still coughing. DD2 appears to have escaped thus far. Can't tell you just how pissed off I am that my previously remarkably intact despite 3 pregnancies in 4 years pelvic floor is now non-existent angry

Keziahhopes Thu 16-Dec-10 23:33:28

Hi - am on week 3, thought the exhaustion was just time of year but actually the constant coughing through the night and lack of sleep is probably right. Have asthma, so took the prednisolone I was told to for 5 nights, but little difference apart from asthma not out of control! Only good thing is that I am not continent again grin - sad when that is the highlight!!

Nightmare at work, need to use voice - roll on holidays!

Paxo hope you ok, I had 3 days in hospital last year with pleurisy, the pain relief in hospital is a blessing! Sleep - take care x

5GoldenFimbos Thu 16-Dec-10 23:46:38

Dd and I have it too. Usually when I get a cold my nose is like a tap for a couple of days but it has been continual now since Saturday. Ran out of tissues and was forced to use toilet roll, which made my nose sting so I had to shove vaseline up it. The coughing is chronic and I hurt all over, my eyes are weeping. My face is grey, I normally have quite shiny hair but it just looks dry and lifeless.

TheYuleLogLady Fri 17-Dec-10 07:19:39

Every gland/lymph node in my body is swollen.

My neck glands are so swollen you can actually see them.

I ache from top to bottom.

ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow

nose blocked yet running

cough

eyes hurt

Even my arms have swollen glands in.

I am not happy. today is my day off and i have stuff to do.

Need strepsils.

feelingafailure Fri 17-Dec-10 10:07:09

its this strange. weather.been coughing and sneezing.feel like i have done 100 press ups.stomach hurts so much..had enough of pain killers.hopefully it goes on its own.

musicposy Fri 17-Dec-10 13:23:45

I think I might be doing slightly better today after a week of awfulness. Still coughing and snotty but not feeling quite so bad. However, DD2 is shivering and shaking and sneezing - she had it first and we all caught it off her! How come she has it again?

Am now dreading the thought of us all getting two bugs.

At least DH hasn't got it yet - fingers crossed crossed crossed because he will be worse than all of us put together if he gets it!

5GoldenFimbos Fri 17-Dec-10 13:37:14

And now apparently ds's school has an outbreak of norovirus. Deep joy.

ImeldaM Fri 17-Dec-10 13:52:05

My DS has had it for about a week, high temp, coughing and spluttering, took to docs who think its viral at the moment but gave us prescription for antibios if it lasts longer. Think I'm starting to come down with it too, feel hot, very sore cough, DS throat looks yucky today, think he'll be getting the antibiotics tomorrow. Hope this settles soon

naturalbaby Fri 17-Dec-10 20:59:57

boo hoo - 6 weeks?! am on week 3 and 34 weeks pregnant. poor baby is not enjoying it at all. usual late pregnancy sypmtoms not helping.

CaptainRex Sat 18-Dec-10 10:59:56

Can I join the poorly bench? DS has had this cough / cold / high temp / headache thing for over a week and has now been kind enough to share it to me

I started a cough last night and have the headache too this morning with total lack of appetite

Oh joy, I shall have this over Christmas

FiveColdRingsForSolo Sun 19-Dec-10 00:42:08

Dd has been ill with it since Tuesday. Ds was off school until Friday; I wanted him to stay home but he wanted to go back...I kept Dd off Thursday and Friday. She is so ill bless her.
I expect it'll have its way with me next week just before 25th...been on and off with a sore throat, but not much else cold/flu wise.

foxinsocks Sun 19-Dec-10 04:22:14

All I have is a cold - just a cold - I hardly ever get colds but it won't go away! And my nose is streaming! Keeps pouring in the night and waking me up ffs.

Hope all the poorly ones get better soon.

sadiesadiemarriedlady Sun 19-Dec-10 06:51:58

Has anyone also got loss of appetite with this, my daughter has had the hacking cough for a week but has now completely lost her appetite!!

sarah293 Sun 19-Dec-10 07:06:06

Message withdrawn

sadiesadiemarriedlady Sun 19-Dec-10 07:07:12

oh Riven, hope she feels better soon xxxx

notevenachristmousie Sun 19-Dec-10 07:09:37

My DD (4 on Friday) has the hacking cough - 5 days now of temps, vomiting after coughing, nighttime wheeze, clingy and sad. I haven't quite got over the last cold - still a bit of a cough and nosebleeds. Not had a decent sleep in ages. Feeling a bit isolated and sorry for myself. Sorry for all others who feel like this - especially when pregnant as well.

omnietyinstables Sun 19-Dec-10 09:04:56

Riven sad

sadie - dd didnt eat for 5 days she just had milk - her first good meal was yesterday 9 days after the 40degree day iyswim. Mind you she didnt poo for 5 days either - probably the calpol.

dd4 has it. been ill since monday, we have shares in medinol and neurofen. she is a wheezing a bit today, so no snow play for her today

ArthurPewty Sun 19-Dec-10 10:47:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FiveColdRingsForSolo Sun 19-Dec-10 13:05:00

Dd has become ravenously hungry after not eating enough to keep a sparrow alive for 5 days. No temp this morning either, but still coughing and snotty.

FiveColdRingsForSolo Sun 19-Dec-10 13:07:08

Riven, how is Dd today?

blushingm Sun 19-Dec-10 16:05:21

i've had a cough for over 2 months - had 2 courses of amoxycillin and now got clarithromycin which are finally doing the trick - i think i have coughed up every colour of the rainbow

blushingm Sun 19-Dec-10 16:06:30

dd had it too - she now has glue ear

Miggsie Sun 19-Dec-10 16:07:37

DD has had it TWICE and still coughing. I'm keeping her off tomorrow because I can't stand the thought of her being ill on Christmas day!

borderslass Sun 19-Dec-10 16:50:32

I have it after having flu like symptoms 3 weeks ago gave up today and went to get some benylin, need to get it cleared up.

noddyholder Sun 19-Dec-10 16:51:38

I have this horrendous sore throat and ear now Am going to relent tonight and dose myself up with strong painkillers and bed early.

Secretwishescometrue Mon 20-Dec-10 09:14:24

Hi all hope everyone got a bit of sleep last night? Ds1 brought it home here last week, Dh had to take him to hospital during the night on Saturday cause he has asthma and got really bad. They did the usual steroids and nebuliser and guess what brilliant mummy here did? Only made up today in a little juice, left them to dissolve, forgot about them... Threw said cup in the sink when washing up and lost today dose of steroids which he badly needs down the sink! crap... Iv made a list for the chemist any advice on it? Nurofen plus (for me I'm post op in loads of pain and finished my "good" pain killers) Pholcodine linctus for coughing boys which seems dry now altho both have vomited phlem during the weekend... Night nurse... Benalin original dry cough syrup... Olmbus oil... Humidifier? (sorry for all the spelling mistakes no excuse just can't spell blush ) how does that sound? All angles covered if any of them doesn't work iv the other to try... I'm really struggling to decide whether to go now myself as I'm so frickin sore or to give the list to Dh in the evening... And anyone using a humidifier is it worth gettin one?

biglips Mon 20-Dec-10 09:15:53

my dd1 had her cough for 3 months and my dd2 had hers for 3 weeks....ive had mine for 2 months now.....ive got no cold but my throat is very phelmghy.

PaxoIsEvil Mon 20-Dec-10 09:25:42

DS2 (7) has gone down with it today <weeps quietly> DH is over the temp, but has sore throat/feels crap. DS1 (10) has gone to school but missed two days last week. I am back to the doc's tonight to check on the pleurisy. All in all, Merry Bloody Christmas <vile mood>

Can we all join you. Dd1 is almost over it (having had antibiotics for an ear infection). Dd2 has a cough but is generally fine. Dh has temp/shivers/cough/runny nose etc.

I feel absolutely dreadful and am in agony from coughing. I have pain down my back and in my chest but can't get through to the doctors (have been trying for 1.5hrs confused). Am so fed up.

Avantia Mon 20-Dec-10 09:55:36

my son (10) started with this last week , high temp , sore persistant sore throat , hoarseness . Was off school all last week , took him to GP on Friday who said it was viral , so not antobiotics.

Saturday night had to call an ambulance , difficulty breathing - rushed to hospital blue light - great in the snow shock.

Anyway it was a viral induced asthma attack (never had asthma) . overnight stay in hospital - home last night.

so we have inhaler every 4 hrs , steriods and antibiotics .

Just keep an eye out for any breathing problems .

XmascarolOfFact Mon 20-Dec-10 10:43:22

I've got this, started last weekend with chills and fever and I still have the lingering cough. I'm prone to chest infections at the tiniest hint of a virus, but this cough doesn't really seem to be coming from my chest - it's my windpipe which is taking the brunt of it, even though my lungs feel gunked up and sticky. I'm barely coughing up anything.

I'm torn between going to the doctors and maybe some antibiotics and steroids (my usual prescription with a lingering cough) or to go down the linctus route. I've been taking medicine for mucousy coughs but they haven't done much. Will I be wasting my time at the doctors?

ImeldaM Mon 20-Dec-10 10:49:29

I've been to docs XmascarolOfFact with similar, very very sore in centre of my chest, which doc thinks is windpipe inflamed. No antibiotics so far, don't feel really ill TBH but wanted to get chest checked with it being so sore. Not coughing anything up, so been given Pholcodine that others mentioned further up the thread.

herbietea Mon 20-Dec-10 10:51:58

Message withdrawn

Secretwishescometrue Mon 20-Dec-10 11:55:20

Damn it they didn't have the pholcodine linctus in our chemist! Got the benylin, night nurse, actifed, lemsips and olbas oil though... Just realised its the adult Benylen when I got home (bangs head on wall) so what do I do? Can I give really small dose to ds (4.3) or not? Damn it cause its bloody treacherous driving here

ReadytheRedNoseReindeer Mon 20-Dec-10 12:15:07

got it here too, very thirsty, no appetite, the nasty hacking cough, no pelvic floor control blush dd2 has started it now, and is a very poorly little person. will be going to get pholcodine after lunch, although have a doctors appt later for the cough just to get my chest checked. it's a horrid virus, I spent the weekend burning up.

FiveColdRingsForSolo Wed 22-Dec-10 11:26:12

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed the slight nose bleeds when the Dc's wake up in the mornings? Both my Dc's are having this. It seems a bit odd to me.

OhYouSnowySnowyKitten Wed 22-Dec-10 11:30:53

Please don't say this is what I have. Just a thumpy head and a sore throat for me at the moment. And a bad case of the weeps
dd has started with the tummy bug this morning.

FiveColdRingsForSolo Wed 22-Dec-10 11:36:28

Both my Dc's had thumping headaches at the start too Kitten

Get the Nurofen and the Vicks and the simple linctus ready!

OhYouSnowySnowyKitten Wed 22-Dec-10 11:48:46

I know I'm not right cos that just made me burst into tears. Bloody hell. I really really really want to spend christmas with my family.

TheMonster Wed 22-Dec-10 11:55:43

I'm on round three of it sad

FiveColdRingsForSolo Wed 22-Dec-10 12:13:57

Oh Kitten, don't get upset; it's just one of those things...get yourself dosed up now, try to rest and try to eat. I find Vit C is a good boost before you get these bugs. Hope you all feel better soon.

oh god oh god,so this is whats wrong with us...poor dd's had it for a week now and 3 month old ds is just coming down with it,ive had it for a week and a half.and dp is fine,but refuses to take any time off work to look after us sad ive lost my voice too...

dd (2) is very confused,and keeps asking why i wont talk to her sad

FiveColdRingsForSolo Wed 22-Dec-10 12:18:53

Aw clumsey.

yes, my Ds actually sleep walked and was delerious one night. Was very strange. He doesn't remember a thing!

blimey,that must have been very odd confused

FiveColdRingsForSolo Wed 22-Dec-10 12:29:08

Yes it really was! grin

OhYouSnowySnowyKitten Wed 22-Dec-10 13:24:32

I always cry when I'm not feeling well blush

dd is already seeming a lot better - shes had a bit of toast. So I think it must be two separate things. From her point of view if we are going 48 hours after last episode then we are good to go arent we? Just need for me to have the same miraculous recovery.

wonderif Wed 22-Dec-10 18:44:34

just wondering should i go to gp ? i have had this for 6 days, pain in chest is unreal,i am not a smoker thank god but every time i cough jesus the pain.

temp up and down, with help from painkillers, aches and pains the usual but the breathing and chest is the worse !

FiveColdRingsForSolo Wed 22-Dec-10 20:01:46

Perhaps you should phone and speak to the GP wonderif. Swine flu is around again...

wonderif Wed 22-Dec-10 21:55:45

did phone and have got an antibiotic

outinthesticksmummy Wed 22-Dec-10 22:17:39

dd1 has had this since Monday ....bugger bugger bugger thought she would be clear for Sat .....Its hell tho , as we are building a house at the moment so living between Grandmas and a static caravan .....and its flippen freezing in there.....Grandma has a severe phobia about child hood illnesses , thinks she's going to catch everything .....we're just off the back of a sick bug too. I am so cross tho ....as they won't go near her and actually shut the dor on her yesterday and told her they didn't want her germs sad she's only 5 !!!!!!

Really really wish we were in our own house where i could just leave her in bed or slob in her pj's on the sofa

OhYouSnowySnowyKitten Wed 22-Dec-10 22:25:51

out - what a nightmare

hope they do the trick wonderif.

newshoesonmonday Wed 22-Dec-10 22:29:41

another one with the painful chest - on left side, really achy/burny. gp said have pulled muscle from coughing but feels 'heavy'. nearly as painful as kicking myself for having a naff pelvic floor - proper crimbo style peeing myself slightly with this cough.

i've had flu jab this year. will that prevent the swine flu. coughing for two weeks now and feeling worse.

hang in there veryone

FiveColdRingsForSolo Wed 22-Dec-10 22:41:40

Good stuff wonderif.

Newshoes, my Mum has the flu jab every year and was told that this year it has the swine flu vaccine in it too, so if that's the case throughout, then you should be fine.

GroovyGretel Wed 22-Dec-10 22:57:41

I've had this for 5 days now and I'm completely fed up sad.

I've had the whole temperature thing (40 degrees), the shivers and shakes, the nose like Niagara, the thumping head, the fuzzy ears...gah, I've barely the energy to type. Am mainlining day nurse and night nurse.

DS is now coming down with the cough (but no sign of temp as yet).

Feeling even worse as I'm O neg and they keep begging for blood donors and I just can't help.

SlightlyTubbyHali Wed 22-Dec-10 23:01:47

I've got it and my DD's have just had the same. I think they both had a worse version at half term.

In its nastier incarnation DD1 had a temperature off and on for over a week, and DD2 ended up with an inhaler (she's barely one year old).

Whatever it is, it's the pits.

Beauregard Wed 22-Dec-10 23:01:51

I can't believe how many people have this bug or a similar form of it.
My 2 dd's have both had coughs,sore throats and temps for the last 36 hours and now gone again.

FiveColdRingsForSolo Wed 22-Dec-10 23:29:31

We all had it back in October too. Very unpleasant.

BoffinMum Thu 23-Dec-10 12:10:22
JingleBelleDameSansMerci Thu 23-Dec-10 12:38:53

Can I join you all in the sick room? DD has had a bad cough for a few weeks but no other symptoms (everyone at her nursery has had hacking coughs). She's getting better but now I have a horrible cough which really hurts my chest; cold symptoms; and possibly the worst sore throat I have ever had. I'm only on about Day 3. I don't want this all over Christmas sad

Don't know whether to phone GP really. If they can't do anything there seems little point. Will get someone to get me pholcodeine (which I've never even heard of).

Dreading the thought of being stuck in bed as am single parent with no local support.

I'm like kitten too - being ill makes me cry but it hurts too much!

OhYouSnowySnowyKitten Thu 23-Dec-10 13:14:43

I feel really fortunate to still be stuck at the headache, sore throat stage. Bit of a cough and feel really non-energetic and no appetite. You all sound really bad

Good news for dd though - shoe only has stuffy nose stuff, no sign of her tummy bug today. hhoray!

outinthesticksmummy Thu 23-Dec-10 18:54:11

urgh .....my turn now .....thanks DD. Feel like crap with all of the above and got AF today to cap it off. Got Beechams all in one, can i take ibuprofen as well ?? anyone know ...Says on box paracetomol based : Paracetomol , ohenlephrine and guaifenesin ??

Good news is DD perking up after having it since monday .....pretty sure i'm not going to tell Grandma or i'll be banned from the lounge on The Big Day .....they've had flu injection tho.........is that really bad ???

BoffinMum Thu 23-Dec-10 20:05:05

I recommend what we call over here a triple whammy for bedtime: piriton (for runny nose), ibuprofen (for temp and pain) and decongestant.

FiveColdRingsForSolo Tue 28-Dec-10 23:13:11

Is everyone better?

My Dd seems to be reigniting hers at regular intervals...last night she was so hot and really delerious. I had her in with me and got no sleep until 6am. She is cooler today, but seems to have conjunctivitis and an extremely sore undercarriage (front to back ) so I can only assume that she is just really run down bless her...will try to get her in to see a doctor tomorrow.

size6feet Wed 29-Dec-10 14:05:47

Had runny nose, eyes and thick throat for a week now. Stuff that was clear is now changing colour. Haven't read that anyone else has a racing heart rate For about 5mins at a time its galloping. I've counted over a minute on the clock and its around 105 beats. Is that anything to be concerned about? I have a thumping headache now.

My brother advises me the next stage is worse when/if it goes to my chest and cough so much I throw up.
Any advice?

comewhinewithme Wed 29-Dec-10 14:18:20

We have had a total nightmare with it and it is still going on .

DD (4) came down with it first.Doc said viral she was laid up all over xmas.

Then DD's (7 and 9) came down with it and still have it both coughing and earache.

DD (11) Has been puking and has the runny nose, sore throat but no cough.

I ended up at a walk in centre yesterday with DD (18 months) as I was convinced she had a chest infection as she was so chesty.But It is all viral and the other people waiting all had a similar cough.

Me,DP & DS seem to have escaped it so far but I feel crap after days of broken sleep and worry.My house smells of Karvol and vicks and we are all wiped out.

This is the worst bug ever.

FiveColdRingsForSolo Wed 29-Dec-10 15:09:06

size6feet, I think I'd go to the doctors to get checked out ~ just to be on the safe side. I've not heard of anyone else suffering like that.
Dd had the coughing until hurling thing the first time round, but not since.

I took Dd to the docs this afternoon and it was confirmed that she has conjunctivitis and thrush. She's a lot brighter, but is not a happy camper.
Funny thing though as so far, I have not had anything more than a slightly sore throat. <grasps wood quickly>

musicposy Thu 30-Dec-10 09:40:15

Still suffering here sad I'm coughing so much I throw up a a few times a day (after 4 weeks)- have phoned docs today for advice. No good going to see them - there's a notice up basically saying "If you're not actually ill, come in! If you have flu, bugger off!"

So I have to phone back later and try and catch the doc.

comewhinewithme Thu 30-Dec-10 09:43:27

Bad night last night with 9 year old DD coughing a lot. She says everything hurts when she coughs.

Despite that they all seem a bit more noisy brighter today.

Hope all get over this soon.

moonmother Thu 30-Dec-10 09:52:11

Today is the first proper day of Me feeling human since I woke up with this Xmas Day. Chest still hurts and the bad headaches but I feel I LOT better than I did.

Dp had it same time, and is on a par with me.

Ds (7) woke up with it this morning sad so far seems quite bright as long as he's dosed up, but I know thats how I felt Xmas Day morning but by the night and Boxing Day I felt awful.

Dc are supposed to be going to their Dad's for New Year, and going to a family party... they are going to be so sad they can't go sad

onthemend Sat 01-Jan-11 16:36:02

aw bless u all son is in2 his 3rd week-some hol. athsma playing up n wetting myself wiv coughing is mortifying (blush) but i now know not uncommon.worst part is staying at home 2day instead of bein wiv family-drs orders-but goin2 av new yeard day wen we r all better (grin)Happy healthy new year2uallXX

herbietea Sat 01-Jan-11 16:45:12

Message withdrawn

januaryjojo Sat 01-Jan-11 19:05:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

naturalbaby Sat 01-Jan-11 19:26:57

cough is pretty much clear after 4 weeks but now have the most horrendous sore ribs! absolute agony and i'm trying to practice my breathing for labour in a few weeks!!

NewYearNewSolo Sat 01-Jan-11 20:18:50

Well, touching wood didn't help. I feel very flu like; everything aches and hurts (even my buttocks!!!) and I spent a lot of today in bed...had to get up to feed Dd etc, she's only 4, but I thank the Lord for TV and childrens entertainment!

And yes! I also have the racing heart/palpitations thing, so it must be common to this bug.

Hope everyone is feeling better and happy new year!

missalien Sat 01-Jan-11 21:09:40

Heart palpitations here too but past the coughing so hard I nearly turn inside out down below. Terrible headache and hot flushes and aches. My 8 month old has it too poor mite . Just hope my 15 year old does not catch it as he has kidney disease and immunosuppressed . Worried mum :-(

onthemend Sat 01-Jan-11 22:53:58

gotta be the most borin new years day in history4me-missin my family get2getha been so grrrr wiv hubby altho nt his fault n was up most o nite coughin-sux!! angry wanta feel positive but angry

I have also had this since christmas eve. Now at the 'sore throat and intermittent bursts of mad coughing, with underlying occasional wheeziness' stage.
Also still have a really blocked nose too. DD (1yr)had it before me i think, and still has lingering cough, DH has escaped so far. Am so bored with it and so sick of bloody coughing. at one point i wondered if my throat was sore purely because i had coughed so much. Lovely. Hope you all feel better soon. Am supposed to be back at work on Wednesday, how crap is that going to be?!

santascupcakes Sun 02-Jan-11 11:39:27

I came down xmas eve, then boxing day could not breathe so went to A&E for some antibiotics.

They did an ECG and before I knew it I was rushed in for heart attack symptoms.

Turns out the virus has gone to my heart and left it inflammed. I am now on beta blockers and ibroprofen.

I also now how a leaky heart valve that needs checking periodically.

It's the worse bug ever

AmazingDisgrace Sun 02-Jan-11 14:56:49

I've had this for 3 weeks now, high temp intermittently, aching shivering, clammy, sinusses so bad that I could rip my face off, pouring with snot, eyes like pee holes in the snow, hacking cough but not bringing anything up despite lungs feeling congested. I am knackered, grey skinned and I want it to go away wail

mumto2andnomore Sun 02-Jan-11 17:04:15

Sorry to hear so many of you are ill

My DH had a really bad cough over Christmas its much better now but when he eats it gets stuck in his chest which is really frightening for him. He usually ends up throwing up then feels better. Is this usual with a cough ?

onthemend Sun 02-Jan-11 19:39:53

oh :0 santacupcakes -that mustv been so scarey ope u get sorted real soon-blessyaXX me =a bit better2day-son came around(as hes contagious2 )n we watched Chelsea scrape a draw :0 but still missin the grandbabies.healty wishes2 u allXX

solo Fri 07-Jan-11 14:27:29

Is everyone well again?

My Ds stayed with my Mum for the school holidays and then came home with me on Tuesday ready for school on Weds. He was well, Dd and I weren't so I have kept her home, still treating her conjunctivitis and Ds went to school...he came home from school yesterday full of aches and pains, headache etc. I have kept him home today (again) and am taking both of them to to docs this afternoon. I didn't bother with an appointment for me as I felt guilty taking an emergency appointment up, but now wish I had

So Dd has been ill with just a few odd days reprieve for 4 weeks, Ds for 5 weeks, but was well for a week inbetween and I, somehow have only had it for a week! if you exclude just having a sore throat.

I wonder how much longer this is going to go on. I'm almost expecting the school people to knock on the front door demanding that I explain the Dc's school absences

FifiFucksalot Fri 07-Jan-11 14:42:05

We're entering week 4.

DS (7) developed viral pneumonia from it. I have never seen him so ill!!

Sick of it now, sick of seeing him poorly, sick of our synchronised coughing, sick of the lack of sleep and well, just sick of being sick.

It has to end sometime, doesn't it?

ragged Fri 07-Jan-11 14:52:26

DS has had a bad cough for several days, which involved into slight wheezing last night. I was fretting a lot but sent him off to school anyway (he can walk and talk fine).

I was afraid to ask for advice about it on here in case I got crucified for not rushing him off to A&E <<Cower>>.

Luckily at toddlers was an acquaintance who works for NHS-Direct -- I collared the poor woman, described DS and she said it sounded pretty typical, not to worry too much about, slight wheezing to be expected given he had had the chronic cough. & outlined what would be indications of him needing to see a doctor. She said that the majority of her recent calls at work have been about coughs & colds.

Now I just have to X my fingers that none of the rest of us gets it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now