Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns we would urge you to consult your GP.

Abnormal smear test results

(14 Posts)
BelaLug0si Sun 02-Dec-12 15:46:40

Honeysammy - the NHS Cervical Screening Programme guidelines are currently that if you can be followed up in 6 months if the result is borderline changes (1st and 2nd occasion). You'd be referred for colposcopy if it's borderline again next time. It's to give the cells a chance to go back to normal on their own. Many do, some don't.
The NHS CSP is currently rolling out high risk HPV testing. Anyone who's already having follow up for a borderline won't be tested. When you go back in 6 months if its borderline then the sample will also be tested for HPV.
A positive high risk HPV test doesn't mean there is a definite abnormality on your cervix but it can indicate that the changes may need treatment to help them resolve.

digerd Sun 02-Dec-12 09:39:29

Checked with my daughter yesterday, and she did have smear tests every 6 months for 3 years, after finding CIN1 abnormal cells, but all subsequent tests were normal.

Shelly32 Sat 01-Dec-12 22:34:12

Poor you. It's not nice to have this result. I had it 6 yrs ago and my Dr told me that cells down there can show up abnormal/borderline even if theres nothing seriously wrong. She likened it to me having a cold and said as the cold goes, this abnormality will probably go on its own. It did. I was tested every year for 5 years. Every scan after that first scan was clear. You'll be fine. I worried myself sick and thought I had cancer. I wasted a lot of time worrying. Cervical cancer takes years usually to get to a dangerous state. Hopefully this and teh other responses will put your mind at ease a bit .

OhComeAllYeZombies Thu 29-Nov-12 19:51:43

Zombie has had more abnormal smear test results in her life than normal ones. She's had colposcopies and biopsies. The abnormal results disappear just as mysteriously as they appeared. She just makes sure she's tested regularly.

I am being referred for the coleo thingy. The NHS in my area tests for HPV infection , which apparently i have as well as borderline cells. Its in 2 weeks so i can let you know ?

digerd Thu 29-Nov-12 17:14:55

My daughter had an abnormal smear, went back after 6 months and it was negative - back to normal. This can happen.

However, many years ago, I heard 18 months after my last smear that it had been abnormal and had an urgent retest. It was CIN3 ( as it is called now) and needed an op.
Many decades on, it has never returned.

Good luck

TeaAndHugs Thu 29-Nov-12 17:10:57

It is overwhelmingly more likely that borderline cells won't develop into cancer than that they will.

According to cancer research UK, out of all the women referred for further investigation after having persistent (more than one) mildly abnormal smears, only 0.1% are found to have cancer.

www.cancerresearchuk.org/cancer-info/cancerstats/types/cervix/screening/cervicalscreeningresults/#outcome

honeysammy Thu 29-Nov-12 16:51:44

I had a abnormal result 6 months ago (borderline changes) and I recently had my second test which unfortunately came back as abnormal. I have been asked to have another test in a further 6 months (third test) Everything I have read suggests after a second abnormal result you are referred for colcoscopy??? has anyone else had this?

rabbitstew Sat 13-Nov-10 17:45:19

Mostly it clears up on its own. Sometimes it persists as borderline changes and sometimes it is clearly CIN by the time of your next test (ie the abnormal cell changes that the smear test is designed to detect as in some people these can eventually lead to cancer). I've had a borderline result - back to normal 6 months later, but by the time of my third 6-monthly recall, I had CIN1, despite two clear smears in the last year prior to that (most places do recall you more than once after an abnormal result before returning you to routine screening, although with some authorities now doing HPV testing at the same time, I guess this may have changed). Six months after CIN1, I had another clear smear, followed by two more clear smears, followed by CIN3. After my CIN1 result I had paid privately to have an HPV test (this was when HPV tests had only just become available and were only offered privately). This confirmed that I should be concerned by the abnormal smear results - if it had come back negative, I would have known not to be that bothered... And all this confirms that you should always return for all follow up appointments, because things do not always return to normal permanently...

ninjanurse Sat 13-Nov-10 16:31:06

I had this a couple of years ago, and was retested at 6 monthly intervals for 2 years. All the other results were normal. The practice nurse said to me that sometimes you can have a little infection like thrush that can cause a borderline result and this is why they wait 6 months to retest.

missmartha Sat 13-Nov-10 16:23:51

I've had this too.

I had to go for another smear immediately though and this was followed by a biopsy. I wont attempt colposcopy, cos I probably can't spell it properly.

Anyway, I was told from the outset that the chances of having cancer were small.

I was fine and needed no further investigation.

Same thing happened to a close friend.

Don't worry but do get tested again in May.

spottycloud Sat 13-Nov-10 13:44:58

It happened to me late last year. Did cause me a tiny bit of worry though after the news surrounding Jade's death, but the NHS literature on smears do say most times this comes out to nothing serious at all. I had my re-test done and everything turned out to be fine. It did take me about 6 months before I went to get the re-test done though, for reasons I won't bore you with... but I'd also recommend you get re-tested as soon as you can.

OnlyWantsOne Sat 13-Nov-10 13:28:38

I had this, and when I went back for my next smear, all was fine - but I urge you to make sure you do go back and be re tested...

GettingOn Sat 13-Nov-10 13:27:45

Had my result from my smear test today, it says I have borderline abnormal cells, and I have to go for another check up next May.

It seems from the leaflet they've sent me that this is quite common (1 in 20).

Just wondered if anyone had this and what happened - did it clear up on its own or did you need further treatment?

TIA

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now