Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Advice on lifting baby after op to sort slipped disc

(6 Posts)
kanna Sat 16-Oct-10 22:47:53

Has anyone had a back op to resolve a L5 slipped disc. I have a baby girl, aged 11 weeks and 5.3kg. I am having an emergency op on Tues 19th Oct as severe sciatica and I have lost some feeling and reflexes in my left leg. The surgeon has told me I need to convalesce for 3 weeks. My husband works abroad but is taking next week off but cannot do the other 2 weeks. I'm not sure if I need to hire 24/7 child care. Do you think I can lift the baby and look after her myself or maybe over night from 11 to 7 (her last and first feeds). I'm quite tough but I don't want to set myself back I'm so looking forward to a pain free future.

aliasdictus Sun 17-Oct-10 21:52:14

Hi, it isn't just a question of being tough and having resolve, there is a good chance that you will undo all the surgery and then your husband will have to be with you for a lot longer than a week. To some extent it depends on what the surgeon is actually doing but it would be sensible to book 24/7 for the second week and see how it goes. Be particularly careful around the 10th day when everything is at its most lax, forget any hoovering, housework, lifting, bending or bedmaking and look forward to eventually being painfree. Good luck smile

itsonlyajob Sun 17-Oct-10 22:09:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

kanna Mon 18-Oct-10 15:55:05

Thank you, Im taking advice, week 1 and 3 family and week 2 I will get help in. It will be worth it in the long run and foolish to blow it.

Chaotica Mon 18-Oct-10 17:20:28

I would hire childcare. (I had L4/5 disc removed.) It is a great op (or at least it was in my case as it totally sorted the pain) and took about a week in hospital after which I was just about OK. I wouldn't have wanted to look after a baby on my own though, however little she is.

Good luck.

pacinofan Mon 18-Oct-10 17:26:16

Def get in help, and follow any advice given. I have slipped disc at L5 also, although don't need surgery. Have been offered an op last year but thankfully disc got better enough for me to cope, advice then was 6 weeks rest post op. My hubby was planning on taking unpaid leave which would have stretched us to say the least but was our only option. Could your dh take unpaid leave?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now